Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   What was your favorite trip in the U.S. or abroad? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/what-your-favorite-trip-u-s-abroad-263676/)

cordenny 05-18-2018 03:10 PM

What was your favorite trip in the U.S. or abroad?

My husband and I have a 25th anniversary coming up next year and would like to make it special.

Would love to hear of a special vacation you had.

Madelaine Amee 05-18-2018 03:29 PM

About 5yrs ago we took a Princess cruise through the Greek Islands and spent several days in Istanbul, Turkey. It was an incredible trip and we absolutely loved Istanbul. Would I do it now with all the trouble in the world, probably not, but it was just incredible.

retiredguy123 05-18-2018 03:31 PM

Hawaii is the best place to visit in the USA. Going to any other country is a downgrade.

queasy27 05-18-2018 03:35 PM

It's a long haul to get there, but I can't say enough good things about Hong Kong. Fantastic architectural mix of the ancient, new, and colonial years. Delicious food, much of it available in street markets. Get a custom suit or dress made! Many shopkeepers, taxi drivers, and service staff speak English, which eases interactions. I'd recommend also visiting Macau.

It can be very hot depending when you go, and it isn't the cheapest city to visit.

dnobles 05-18-2018 03:37 PM

Alaska

tophcfa 05-18-2018 03:38 PM

St. John, the USVI is an absolutely beautiful place. Although I suspect the little island is in disarray after getting hit hard with duel hurricanes last year.

Kenswing 05-18-2018 03:50 PM

We did a 10 day cruise throughout French Polynesia. Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea, Huahine, Raiatea and Rangiroa. It doesn't get a whole lot more romantic than that.

Kenswing 05-18-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1544911)
St. John, the USVI is an absolutely beautiful place. Although I suspect the little island is in disarray after getting hit hard with duel hurricanes last year.

We were there in January. It still looks a little beat up but they were back in business..

Polar Bear 05-18-2018 03:57 PM

Our favorite was a five week figure-8 around the SW US. Grand Canyon, Sequoia/King's Canyon, the west coast of California, Vegas, Canyonlands, Mesa Verde, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Zion, just to hit the high spots. :)

We're hoping an upcoming month long trip to Yellowstone, Teton, and western South Dakota will be even close to being as good. :)

I also agree that Alaska was wonderful.

splashes 05-18-2018 04:09 PM

Africa on a safari We went 2 times to the Serengiti Going again next year THe best trip ever We use African Dreams Safari for a private trip Excellent

sirknor 05-18-2018 04:17 PM

From Illinois to the Villages

tomwed 05-18-2018 04:33 PM

A 4 week vacation with 3 weeks on a re positioning cruise. The first stop was Spain and the last stop Venice. An extra week riding on trains ending up in Rome before flying home. This is an inexpensive way to travel.

Chatbrat 05-18-2018 04:34 PM

The best trip ever was when we did the great loop on our boat -7700 miles-leaving St Pete Fl--across Lake O-up the ICW -thru the Chesapeake-Lt into Delaware Bay-NJ coast to NY--to the Hudson- up to the Erie Canal RT into the Oswego Canal -Kingston On-left into the Trent Severn Seaway-Trent to Georgian Bay- False Detour Passage to Cheybogan Mi.-Mackinaw Isl--then to Chicago-Illinois River to the Mississippi River--to the Ohio= to -Tennsee River---Cumberland Kentucky Lakes -Nashville- to Mobile Bay=RT to New Orleans & then back to FL

Best time of our lives--used to commute from Fl to the Canadian waters & or the Erie Canal--did it for 6 years--with side trips to the Bahamas

valuemkt 05-18-2018 04:51 PM

1. 11 day Baltic cruise on Oceania - plus 3 days on front end in Stockholm and 3 on back end in Copenhagen - included 3 days in St Petersburg Russia

2. 1 week in Paris in a one bedroom flat in a residential area near Sacre Coeur

3. 12 day Mediterranean cruise from Venice to Barcelona

John_W 05-18-2018 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1544933)
The best trip ever was when we did the great loop on our boat -7700 miles-leaving St Pete Fl--across Lake O-up the ICW -thru the Chesapeake-Lt into Delaware Bay-NJ coast to NY--to the Hudson- up to the Erie Canal RT into the Oswego Canal -Kingston On-left into the Trent Severn Seaway-Trent to Georgian Bay- False Detour Passage to Cheybogan Mi.-Mackinaw Isl--then to Chicago-Illinois River to the Mississippi River--to the Ohio= to -Tennsee River---Cumberland Kentucky Lakes -Nashville- to Mobile Bay=RT to New Orleans & then back to FL

Best time of our lives--used to commute from Fl to the Canadian waters & or the Erie Canal--did it for 6 years--with side trips to the Bahamas

That trips sounds like the best of both worlds, along the coast and along the rivers. How long did it take you and what size ship did you have?