Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Executive Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/)
-   -   Pelican (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/executive-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-472/pelican-337650/)

Bellavita 12-24-2022 08:53 AM

Pelican

The green are all sand and aerated. Horrible should have been closed

UpNorth 12-24-2022 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellavita (Post 2169405)

True. The most challenging Executive course in The Villages. I love playing it, but the conditions are terrible. Looks like it needs a full restoration, like they did with Silver Lake and Mira Mesa.

DonH57 12-24-2022 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpNorth (Post 2169460)
True. The most challenging Executive course in The Villages. I love playing it, but the conditions are terrible. Looks like it needs a full restoration, like they did with Silver Lake and Mira Mesa.

It had actually been nice the last few times we played it, but yesterday, besides the greens being punched the sand/ seed mix was very thick and wet. The ball gathered sand like a snow ball. Putt harder!:D

Mrmean58 12-25-2022 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 2169504)
It had actually been nice the last few times we played it, but yesterday, besides the greens being punched the sand/ seed mix was very thick and wet. The ball gathered sand like a snow ball. Putt harder!:D

Sadly during this time of year, the sole reason for sanding the greens is due the high number of unrepaired ball marks. Our fellow residents bring much of the green conditions upon themselves. I played Tierra earlier this week and followed a group, because I'm sure one person couldn't have done that much damage, who must have had a dance party on every hole by not picking up their feet. It was sad.

Bay Kid 12-25-2022 08:39 AM

My 1st course played years ago in The Villages. It is and always will be special to me.

DonH57 12-25-2022 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmean58 (Post 2169694)
Sadly during this time of year, the sole reason for sanding the greens is due the high number of unrepaired ball marks. Our fellow residents bring much of the green conditions upon themselves. I played Tierra earlier this week and followed a group, because I'm sure one person couldn't have done that much damage, who must have had a dance party on every hole by not picking up their feet. It was sad.

I know what you mean there! 9 out of 10 ball marks I've fixed are some one else's as I rarely hit the greens!:a20: Yes, for whatever reason they drag their feet.

justjim 12-25-2022 08:13 PM

Getting amateur golfers to fix ball marks is a universal problem. Maybe a bit worse in TV. Dragging your feet on greens is just careless similar to not raking a sand trap.

JMintzer 12-25-2022 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 2169752)
I know what you mean there! 9 out of 10 ball marks I've fixed are some one else's as I rarely hit the greens!:a20: Yes, for whatever reason they drag their feet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 2169896)
Getting amateur golfers to fix ball marks is a universal problem. Maybe a bit worse in TV. Dragging your feet on greens is just careless similar to not raking a sand trap.

Sadly, as some people age, they develop a "shuffling gait", that can result in tripping and scuffs on the greens...

Annie66 12-26-2022 07:39 AM

Besides Pelican, Truman should be closed to repair the greens which are in terrible shape.

jarodrig 12-26-2022 08:27 AM

Quote:

To avoid future disappointment, go to golfthevillages.com and look at the aerification schedule before choosing the course….

Larchap49 12-26-2022 08:55 AM

Course condition

Quote:

It's what the year arounders deal with all summer.

Scbang 12-26-2022 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarodrig (Post 2169974)
To avoid future disappointment, go to golfthevillages.com and look at the aerification schedule before choosing the course….

For some reason I can only see Champs aerification schedule not Execs in turf talk.
Am I mistaken?

Floridajimmie 01-01-2023 09:54 AM

Golf

Take a break and try a course outside the villages. No more complaining.

BrianL99 01-01-2023 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmean58 (Post 2169694)

FYI, the "sanding" has nothing to do with Ball Marks. It's simply part of the aeration process. Sand is used to fill aeration holes, amend the soil and make the greens smoother to putt.

N44125 01-01-2023 10:37 AM

Played Pelican yesterday…not in good condition…greens are horrible. They have temporary greens on the 6th and 7th holes.