Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Lighting for Palm Trees (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/lighting-palm-trees-343351/)

Michael 61 08-11-2023 09:55 AM

Lighting for Palm Trees

Just had a brand new Sylvester Palm planted in front yard yesterday. I am now looking at lighting options. Looking at solar spotlights. Is this the way to go? Reading some online reviews that are split on solar being the most effective. Would like to hear from Villages residents who have lighted palms in their yards, and what lightning options they have used. Thanks as always for your replies.

Kenswing 08-11-2023 10:30 AM

When we had our landscaping done they installed hardwired led lights. They are plugged into a transformer/timer. We have them set for dusk to dawn but can also program them for a specific time.

villagetinker 08-11-2023 11:23 AM

I believe you will be disappointed in the solar powered landscape lights. Depending on your home and landscape layout, you should be able to install (DIY) suitable WIRED lighting for under $100 in material cost. I have done this for several neighbors, but this time of year, forget it, way too hot. If you go the DIY route just lay the wire on top of the landscaping and wait for nighttime or cooler weather to bury it. Also, get the type of lights with REPLACEABLE bulbs (LEDS) otherwise you will have to replace the entire unit when a LED fails.

Michael G. 08-11-2023 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2244105)
I believe you will be disappointed in the solar powered landscape lights. Depending on your home and landscape layout, you should be able to install (DIY) suitable WIRED lighting for under $100 in material cost. I have done this for several neighbors, but this time of year, forget it, way too hot. If you go the DIY route just lay the wire on top of the landscaping and wait for nighttime or cooler weather to bury it. Also, get the type of lights with REPLACEABLE bulbs (LEDS) otherwise you will have to replace the entire unit when a LED fails.

I have done this now going on 7 years and they all work fine, most of the time.
The ones that don't work seems to be the connection on the mean wire going to the timer.
I wiggle the connection from time to time to get them to work.

I know one guy "hot wired" each LED flood light to the main cord.

Papa_lecki 08-11-2023 11:41 AM

I had solar landscaping lights and was disappointed.

The hardwired is low voltage, so doesnt require a lot of electricity - there is more of an upfront cost for install, but not as much as you think.

villagetinker 08-11-2023 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2244116)
I have done this now going on 7 years and they all work fine, most of the time.
The ones that don't work seems to be the connection on the mean wire going to the timer.
I wiggle the connection from time to time to get them to work.

I know one guy "hot wired" each LED flood light to the main cord.

Just out of curiosity what does "hot wired" to the main cord mean? All of the wiring diagrams I have seen have a main run, and each light is tapped for the main run. Although rare, you could run a branch line from the main run to get to a couple of lights, the new LED lights do not take a lot of current, so this can be done.

Michael 61 08-11-2023 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2244105)

Thanks for your reply —

So I’m a total novice to all of this, so I need to ask some “newbie” questions - 1) If I go the DYI route for wired lighting, is there like a cord that I bury, then comes out of the ground and runs into my lanai to plug in (like a visible extension cord?) 2) and is there like a timer I set, rather than flicking on and off manually? 3) I’m electronically challenged, how easy is the DYI project, or would someone like me be better off hiring someone to do all this for me.

Thanks in advance for responding back to me - I always appreciate all the advice and wisdom you give on TOTV.

Michael 61 08-11-2023 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 2244118)
I had solar landscaping lights and was disappointed.

The hardwired is low voltage, so doesnt require a lot of electricity - there is more of an upfront cost for install, but not as much as you think.

Thanks, I’m not getting good replies or reading good stuff about solar - I think after it cools down tonight, I’ll go for a golf cart ride and see if I can spot the difference between solar and electrical lights that my neighbors have installed.

Bogie Shooter 08-11-2023 04:47 PM

Look on YouTube for videos installing landscape lighting. I had mine installed by someone who knew what they were doing. Could be a nightmare as a DIY.

Michael 61 08-11-2023 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 2244239)
Look on YouTube for videos installing landscape lighting. I had mine installed by someone who knew what they were doing. Could be a nightmare as a DIY.

Thanks Bogie - I’ll do that tonight - I’m totally willing to do DIY projects, but I’m almost always disappointed with the final product - just a “knack” I don’t have - But today, I was sorta proud of myself for figuring out how to put together the hose and hose caddy I just purchased (came with no instructions) - though had to watch a you tube video (I know - lol - pretty simple for most, but was an accomplishment for me).

Michael G. 08-11-2023 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2244218)
Just out of curiosity what does "hot wired" to the main cord mean? All of the wiring diagrams I have seen have a main run, and each light is tapped for the main run. Although rare, you could run a branch line from the main run to get to a couple of lights, the new LED lights do not take a lot of current, so this can be done.

Because sometimes gardeners will step on those connections and just that one light
will not work. i know I had trouble with a connection, wiggle it once and it worked.

Maybe by tapping into the main run by wiring directly instead of using the connection, he felt
it would be less trouble down the road. :shrug:

villagetinker 08-11-2023 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael 61 (Post 2244230)
Thanks for your reply —

So I’m a total novice to all of this, so I need to ask some “newbie” questions - 1) If I go the DYI route for wired lighting, is there like a cord that I bury, then comes out of the ground and runs into my lanai to plug in (like a visible extension cord?) 2) and is there like a timer I set, rather than flicking on and off manually? 3) I’m electronically challenged, how easy is the DYI project, or would someone like me be better off hiring someone to do all this for me.

Thanks in advance for responding back to me - I always appreciate all the advice and wisdom you give on TOTV.

You will need a power supply, these come in various wattages typically from 60 to 200 watts. You will need to figure out how many lights you need and the wattage of each. You will need to figure out the amount of wiring you will need. You will need to also determine where the power supply will plug in. There is more stuff you will need to consider, send me a PM and we can discuss over the phone.

Bogie Shooter 08-11-2023 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2244261)
You will need a power supply, these come in various wattages typically from 60 to 200 watts. You will need to figure out how many lights you need and the wattage of each. You will need to figure out the amount of wiring you will need. You will need to also determine where the power supply will plug in. There is more stuff you will need to consider, send me a PM and we can discuss over the phone.

Like I said.:)

phousel 08-12-2023 05:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael 61 (Post 2244050)
Just had a brand new Sylvester Palm planted in front yard yesterday. I am now looking at lighting options. Looking at solar spotlights. Is this the way to go? Reading some online reviews that are split on solar being the most effective. Would like to hear from Villages residents who have lighted palms in their yards, and what lightning options they have used. Thanks as always for your replies.

I have a inexpensive solar light on my palm (in my front yard). Cost was less than $20 (if I remember correctly) from Walmart. It has been working well for over 2 years! Not as bright as hard wired lights, but it literally took seconds to install.
I suggest you try this "method" first. Just to see the effect.

Mike&Silvia 08-12-2023 06:17 AM

We have added five palms and purchased solar lights for under $20 each. We are satisfied that the lighting provides what we were looking for.