Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Best flea and tick prevention? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/best-flea-tick-prevention-193161/)

mrscrimefighter 05-10-2016 10:06 AM

Best flea and tick prevention?

My vet wants me to use Triteck (hope the spelling is correct). Anyone using this, or can you recommend a better topical for flea and tick control?

Thanks

ronsroni 05-14-2016 07:50 PM

My FORMER vet gave TRIFEXIS to my dogs. he also told me to split pills in 1/2; giving 1/2 tab to each dog monthly.
BOTH DOGS HAD SEIZURES ON THE SAME DAY AND ONE HAS LIVER DAMAGE AS A RESULT.
Seems to me a vet should know how to prescribe trifexis and IF THE PILLS SHOULD NOT BE CUT, DONT CUT THEM.
hE COULD HAVE KILLED MY DOGS.
No more doctors in MY house.
Convenient? yes. Safe? Deadly reactions to overdosing unwittingly? HORRIFFIC.
Vet TAKING RESPONSIBILITY??? COME ON. "NO MORE DOCTOR IN MY HOUSE." BEWARE. This is NOT a nice, concerned vet. out of Ocala.

karostay 05-14-2016 08:38 PM

Simple keep your pet in it's own yard ..No exposure to pest

mrscrimefighter 05-14-2016 08:47 PM

That's easy, she only goes out on a leash in one small area of the yard. But I haven't been able to put up a shield to keep a tick or flea from wandering in that area.��

echo11 05-14-2016 09:03 PM

Frontline plus

Cincinnatus 05-14-2016 10:50 PM

Flea tick..?

I use Sams Club house brand on both of my dogs.
Works well. Recommended.

Barefoot 05-14-2016 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrscrimefighter (Post 1224143)
My vet wants me to use Triteck (hope the spelling is correct). Anyone using this, or can you recommend a better topical for flea and tick control?

We have been using Revolution on our dogs for many years without a problem.
Revolution prevents fleas and heartworm disease, treats and controls ear mites,
treats and controls sarcoptic mange and controls tick infestations.

Barefoot 05-14-2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrscrimefighter (Post 1226617)
That's easy, she only goes out on a leash in one small area of the yard. But I haven't been able to put up a shield to keep a tick or flea from wandering in that area.��

Also, heartworm is spread by mosquitoes.

lanabanana73 05-15-2016 05:19 AM

We have used Advantix II on our pups for several years with good results. I know fleas in Florida are known to be pretty tough buggers, though! :laugh:

TV MAN 05-15-2016 08:46 AM

We use NextGuard & Heartguard with both our fur babies and it works just fine. We did not like the oil based applications they were too messy and potentiality harmful. Although if you start on either one of the Guard types they suggest one one day and the other the next, in case they are allergic to either.