Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   New Home Inventory - Builder Still Holding Firm Against Negotiating? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/new-home-inventory-builder-still-holding-firm-against-negotiating-348781/)

DeweyBeach 03-24-2024 03:02 PM

New Home Inventory - Builder Still Holding Firm Against Negotiating?

There was a thread back in September (now closed) discussing whether negotiating was possible on new homes. It was clear the builder does not negotiate on new builds or spec homes but that it's common to watch for discounts posted on spec homes the longer they sit.

Now that Eastport is starting to crank out homes, while Denham and Dabney still have plenty on-hand, has anyone heard of buyers negotiating?

I love to negotiate on whatever I can but, having bought three new build homes throughout my life, actually like the "level playing field" of new home construction's structured pricing/sales.

I purchased a new build in TV summer 2023 and was told the builder used to negotiate years ago, but no longer does for a wide array of reasons. This market might just test that policy.

vintageogauge 03-24-2024 04:23 PM

Don't count on it.

Carla B 03-24-2024 04:32 PM

The houses on our street were new in early 2008, when the financial sky had fallen and pillars of big business were on the ropes. No negotiating then or ever since.

retiredguy123 03-24-2024 04:37 PM

It would be crazy for the developer to start negotiating the price of new houses.

Velvet 03-24-2024 04:42 PM

Instead of negotiating, my guess would be they would slow down building rate if demand fell. But so far there are more and more and more people retiring to The Villages. I think once all the Baby boomer cohort has retired there maybe a real change in demand for housing here.

rustyp 03-24-2024 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeweyBeach (Post 2315090)
There was a thread back in September (now closed) discussing whether negotiating was possible on new homes. It was clear the builder does not negotiate on new builds or spec homes but that it's common to watch for discounts posted on spec homes the longer they sit.

Now that Eastport is starting to crank out homes, while Denham and Dabney still have plenty on-hand, has anyone heard of buyers negotiating?

I love to negotiate on whatever I can but, having bought three new build homes throughout my life, actually like the "level playing field" of new home construction's structured pricing/sales.

I purchased a new build in TV summer 2023 and was told the builder used to negotiate years ago, but no longer does for a wide array of reasons. This market might just test that policy.

NO - never in 20 years I've been here.

Altavia 03-24-2024 06:37 PM

They still sell more than 70 homes a week.

Papa_lecki 03-24-2024 06:44 PM

Quote:

It’s pretty clear which areas will sell fast and which will not.
If we can figure it out on TOTV, you know the developer knows.
They don’t need to negotiate. They will lower some prices eventually, but they probably planned for it.

kansasr 03-24-2024 07:52 PM

Quote:

Not sure where you get your numbers from, but based upon the Lake County Property Appriser data (which admittedly is a little slow in recording), Lake Dedham is almost 87% sold (hardly plenty on hand) and Dabney is almost 1/3 sold. Newell is basically sold out, the only unsold are Harper Villas which I believe are being held back for Lifestyle visits.

JMintzer 03-24-2024 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 2315119)
Instead of negotiating, my guess would be they would slow down building rate if demand fell. But so far there are more and more and more people retiring to The Villages. I think once all the Baby boomer cohort has retired there maybe a real change in demand for housing here.

Gen Xers (the generation after the Boomers) are already moving in...

vintageogauge 03-24-2024 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMintzer (Post 2315172)
Gen Xers (the generation after the Boomers) are already moving in...

That is true and they have already heavily invested in industrial land which will be their next big adventure, I can see them owning a Florida railroad in the future to go along with the 4500 acres they purchased in Wildwood and the other parcels of industrial land that they own.. They are far ahead of any of us.

DeweyBeach 03-24-2024 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansasr (Post 2315165)
Not sure where you get your numbers from, but based upon the Lake County Property Appriser data (which admittedly is a little slow in recording), Lake Dedham is almost 87% sold (hardly plenty on hand) and Dabney is almost 1/3 sold. Newell is basically sold out, the only unsold are Harper Villas which I believe are being held back for Lifestyle visits.

Sure, here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs2z6dpoG14&t=582s

kansasr 03-24-2024 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeweyBeach (Post 2315181)

Sorry to confuse things with facts

margaretmattson 03-24-2024 10:53 PM

At the moment, Moultrie Creek is selling well. Maybe, there will be additional discounts on homes in Lake Denham and Dabney. There were 400 new homes available in that area at the end of December. In January, the Developer reduced the price of 250 homes. Nearing the end of March, even with discounts, 250+ homes remain.

frayedends 03-25-2024 04:46 AM

I'm in Lake Denham and it is selling steadily. Maybe no fast, by Covid boom standards, but more normal from how it was before Covid (so I'm told). My little neighborhood has about 3 sold per week. There's only about 17 houses left in my section. I watched the video posted above and wasn't impressed with that realtor. Maybe his numbers are correct but IIRC he didn't really even understand how much was going in to Eastport and I believe he said something like Moultrie Creek was for families.