Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Television (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/)
-   -   Anybody watch "The Golden Bachelor" last night? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/anybody-watch-golden-bachelor-last-night-344453/)

manaboutown 09-29-2023 04:42 PM

Anybody watch "The Golden Bachelor" last night?

Senior dating at its finest!

I enjoyed the show and am recording it. https://abc.com/shows/the-golden-bachelor

threeonemiles@outlook.com 09-30-2023 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 2261340)

I enjoyed the show and am recording it. https://abc.com/shows/the-golden-bachelor

What!!!

Keefelane66 09-30-2023 09:35 AM

All reality TV is scripted, it’s making us simpleminded.

JP 09-30-2023 11:01 AM

Lordy, who watches this stuff. So fake.

Boomer 10-01-2023 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keefelane66 (Post 2261518)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP (Post 2261543)
Lordy, who watches this stuff. So fake.

OP, I don’t know about this one’s specifics, but I do know I have strong opinions on what reality shows have helped to do to America — only a part of this hellscape we might not survive, but part of the mix, for sure.

Re. Reality shows in general:

Cringeworthy at best. Horrifying at worst.

But lots of people watch that stuff. That’s a problem.

The writers’ strike (the one before the current one) brought an onslaught of fake, crass, boorish, shallow, just plain stupid “entertainment” — and here we are, dumb and dumber and dumbest. Reality shows? Cause or Symptom? (Well, not the only cause, but a contributing factor for sure, one of them in particular.)

Here we are now, too many of us……..

Brains sucked out. (Check)

Amygdalae hijacked (Check)

Following reality show stars to the point of blind worship. (Check)

Adoration of those who do all the things we taught our children not to do. (Check)

Manipulated and Exploited. (Check)

Susceptible. (Check)

Forgotten dignity. (Check)

Fake is Truth and Truth is Fake. (Check)

And it has been so easy.

Boomer

- - - - - - - - - - -

Addendum : Oh my! I should and must clarify that I wrote the post above when I woke up in
the middle of the night……

Just woke up again and realized it could be interpreted as saying the OP was dumb for watching “”The Golden Bachelor” —- sorry and no that was not it……..

I admit to being a little curious about that one. Might look once. Will see. But know I won’t stick around as a fan.

The thing I wrote, half-asleep, I stand by though — because I am mystified and terrified by the dumbing down of America. I love this country and I want it to be OK, forever.

Boomer, again

LuvNH 10-01-2023 09:48 AM

Facebook. Reality TV. Social media sites. All responsible for the dumming down of America. When you hear the actual number of people following these sites it is staggering, how does anything get done with so many people on social media. Oh yes, I'm on social media right now!

threeonemiles@outlook.com 10-01-2023 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 2261340)

Look at the top left. Do what it says.

Topspinmo 10-01-2023 12:26 PM

No!

Topspinmo 10-01-2023 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 2261687)
OP, I don’t know about this one’s specifics, but I do know I have strong opinions on what reality shows have helped to do to America — only a part of this hellscape we might not survive, but part of the mix, for sure.

Re. Reality shows in general:

Cringeworthy at best. Horrifying at worst.

But lots of people watch that stuff. That’s a problem.

The writers’ strike (the one before the current one) brought an onslaught of fake, crass, boorish, shallow, just plain stupid “entertainment” — and here we are, dumb and dumber and dumbest. Reality shows? Cause or Symptom? (Well, not the only cause, but a contributing factor for sure, one of them in particular.)

Here we are now, too many of us……..

Brains sucked out. (Check)

Amygdalae hijacked (Check)

Following reality show stars to the point of blind worship. (Check)

Adoration of those who do all the things we taught our children not to do. (Check)

Manipulated and Exploited. (Check)

Susceptible. (Check)

Forgotten dignity. (Check)

Fake is Truth and Truth is Fake. (Check)

And it has been so easy.

Boomer

- - - - - - - - - - -

Addendum : Oh my! I should and must clarify that I wrote the post above when I woke up in
the middle of the night……

Just woke up again and realized it could be interpreted as saying the OP was dumb for watching “”The Golden Bachelor” —- sorry and no that was not it……..

I admit to being a little curious about that one. Might look once. Will see. But know I won’t stick around as a fan.

The thing I wrote, half-asleep, I stand by though — because I am mystified and terrified by the dumbing down of America. I love this country and I want it to be OK, forever.

Boomer, again

I liked duck dynasty…:bigbow:

Topspinmo 10-01-2023 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvNH (Post 2261774)
Facebook. Reality TV. Social media sites. All responsible for the dumming down of America. When you hear the actual number of people following these sites it is staggering, how does anything get done with so many people on social media. Oh yes, I'm on social media right now!

FB in it for the money. Who would think selling personal information with free site would make you billionaires? :oops:

manaboutown 10-01-2023 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuvNH (Post 2261774)

The dumbing down these days starts in first grade. Much if not most of the public school system is failing. Here is an example sample.

"None of the students at 40% of Baltimore’s public high schools tested proficient on the state math exam given this past spring — with a staggering three-quarters earning the lowest possible score, an alarming report revealed this week."

From: Students at 40% of Baltimore high schools failed math proficiency exam

and - “Math and reading scores for 13-year-olds have hit their lowest scores in decades.” When the recent NAEP long-term trend results for 13-year-olds were published, the reactions were predictable: short pieces in the national press and apologetics in education blogs. COVID-19, we were told, was continuing to cast its long shadow. Despite nearly $200 billion in emergency federal spending on K-12 schooling, students are doing worse than a decade ago, and lower-performing students are today less capable of doing math than they were 35 years ago. -

From: America’s Education System Is a Mess, and It’s Students Who Are Paying the Price – The 74

While I agree social media has recently played a part SAT scores peaked in the mid 1960s, decades before social media arrived. They have been slipping downhill ever since. Notoriously, the test has been dumbed down.

manaboutown 10-01-2023 02:29 PM

Since I watch little television I was trying to recall what reality shows I ever watched. "This Old House", "Antiques Roadshow", "American Pickers", "Pawn Stars" and "Botched" came to mind. I tried watching "The Real Housewives of Orange County" maybe twice as I knew people who knew some of them but could not get into it. "Storage Wars" were faked as I know that business.

Here is a list of reality shows past and present: List of reality television programs - Wikipedia

shut the front door 10-01-2023 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keefelane66 (Post 2261518)

Not only that, but I refuse to watch these shows that are degrading to the institution of marriage. Bachelor, Bachelorette, 90 Day Fiance, and who can forget Who wants to marry a millionaire.
And we wonder why so few take marriage seriously anymore.

manaboutown 10-05-2023 01:06 PM

Tonight is the night for the second Golden Bachelor episode. Got my DVR warmed up and ready to record!

Stu from NYC 10-05-2023 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 2262846)
Tonight is the night for the second Golden Bachelor episode. Got my DVR warmed up and ready to record!

You have surprised me yet again.