Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Bill Pay ? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/bill-pay-324837/)

Michael G. 10-04-2021 09:09 PM

Bill Pay ?

My wife isn't interested learning about computers.
I'm worried about what will happen to our finances if I die before her.
I have all my username and passwords filed in the safe.

I try to have statements, (charge cards, Utility's bills, checking acct.) mailed to the house, but a couple are on auto pay that I pay on line.

What's your system?

GrumpyOldMan 10-04-2021 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2013054)

I try to have statements, (charge cards, Utility's bills, checking acct.) mailed to the house, but a couple are on auto pay that I pay on line.

What's your system?

Each person's "system" must be tailored to their particular needs. I would strongly suggest you pay someone for a meeting to consult on setting up estate planning, and your question would be part of that discussion along with other things including a living will, will, and what happens if you both die from a meteor crashing into your house while you sleep.

We did it a year or so ago and for everything including trust setup etc it didn't cost that much.

Garywt 10-04-2021 09:59 PM

It’s funny, my wife and I just reviewed these things tonight. Showed her the budget, what gets auto paid, what needs to be moved to our Florida account and to her business account. Then went over logins and passwords for for bills that aren’t automatic. In addition we went over what to do with life insurance, property and possessions. I think I have more than 6 months and it could be 20 years but we just don’t know.

retiredguy123 10-05-2021 06:23 AM

Quote:

What's your system?

I suggest that you scan all important documents, passwords, account numbers, etc. and put them on a flash drive. I use a password protected MS Word document to list all of my usernames and passwords. Your wife could easily have someone print out the information from the flash drive.

JoelJohnson 10-05-2021 07:43 AM

Just about everything is online. We use LastPass (a password manager, where you just to remember the master password and LastPass remembers all else). I also have a document that tells my wife (and heirs) where all the account are and where they are paid from.
The worst thing that can happen it that you die and your wife (or kids) have no idea where things are and what has to be paid, etc.

DAVES 10-05-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

What's your system?

That is a problem we all face. Two or more people should but perhaps should not both do this. If, they try it will become did you pay the bill for? I do not like auto pay.
Many people do. Auto pay you give someone, actually not someone but an entire company access to your financial information. Big brother IS watching you and we, many of us, make it far too easy.

Statements to your home. I can and do argue that both ways. On line billing is cheaper for the company. They do not need to pay postage and they can use your printer and pay you nothing for it. On the other hand, a financial statement. Lost or STOLEN in the mail who now knows what I have where it is and my name and address. Sometimes my account number and social security number. ID theft? We provide tons of information to places such as your doctor, the test he requests etc. Do we think everyone with access to your information has security clearance?

Computers-I would be lost without mine. The price of this great societal change is your privacy.

Michael G. 10-05-2021 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVES (Post 2013306)
I do not like auto pay.
Many people do. Auto pay you give someone, actually not someone but an entire company access to your financial information. Big brother IS watching you and we, many of us, make it far too easy.

Sometimes you don't have a choice in auto pay especially paying with a charge card.
Some give a discounts when using auto pay.
You can set auto pay up that sends a email notify you when due and amount.

DAVES 10-05-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2013337)
Sometimes you don't have a choice in auto pay especially paying with a charge card.
Some give a discounts when using auto pay.
You can set auto pay up that sends a email notify you when due and amount.

I am contrarian. In terms of no choice but auto pay. It is sadly amusing. Recently I had four different issues going at the same time with four different organizations. We get what we accept. It was far more work than simply dealing with a computer. In each case, as stated a lot of work, I found a HUMAN and got it resolved. You cannot deal with a computer no matter how sophisticated the computer is, it comes to you will do it MY WAY.

Aside-ATT has a computer that is truly good. Like THE SPACE ODDESSY. to find a HUMAN, if, I recall you need to ask it if it is a HUMAN

rjm1cc 10-05-2021 11:31 AM

I have a child that has a copy of my passwords and access to all estate documents.
I pay most bills a month ahead so at death there will not be missed payments the first month. Credit Cards maybe a little harder so have a payment that is enough to avoid the late payment fee go out automatically each month.
You can also use bill pay to send a minimum amount each month. Just be sure you are moving money into the bill pay account from dividends etc. In short sent up automatic process to move you money around each month as needed.
Look at FidSafe. This maybe something you want to use to store your documents and it has a provision to let the named individual in at your death. https://web.fidsafe.com/#/
Some financial sites let you name a "trusted" individual to help out once you die.
Remember each state has laws on anyone accessing digital accounts so check your state to make sure your executor is not locked out of your accounts.
At year end I keep all statements so the account number, address, etc can easily be identified by my executor. I would include a copy of the online only statements.
I assume your accounts are all joint. But you still should name beneficiaries for all accounts to help with probate.

dewilson58 10-05-2021 11:40 AM

Our System: My Bride is going to find someone young. :clap2:

retiredguy123 10-05-2021 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2013413)

To do what?

Babubhat 10-05-2021 12:58 PM

Last pass. Inexpensive security

davem4616 10-05-2021 08:20 PM

if your wife isn't interested, then leave good notes....your kids will figure it out once you're up in heaven and they can put a plan in place

gpkk_2000 10-06-2021 05:07 AM

That works unless you have biologic children, then it becomes a nightmare.

thevillages2013 10-06-2021 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2013413)

Just hope it’s after you are gone