Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Bill to abolish special districts?? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/bill-abolish-special-districts-331302/)

Rainger99 04-20-2022 10:45 AM

Bill to abolish special districts??

I heard on the radio that Florida may abolish special districts. Apparently Disney is a special district.

As a newcomer, I am still confused by the political districts in Florida. Would that impact us?

Keefelane66 04-20-2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2085969)
I heard on the radio that Florida may abolish special districts. Apparently Disney is a special district.

As a newcomer, I am still confused by the political districts in Florida. Would that impact us?

If you don’t go or agree with the flow seems as retribution it could be eliminated. According to state records, there are more than 550 CDDs spread throughout Florida, ranging in size from 100 acres to more than 10,000 acres.

Bogie Shooter 04-20-2022 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2085969)

Search the net regarding Disney to get the full story why they are being targeted.

Michael G. 04-20-2022 12:29 PM

Maybe not good news for TV.

MartinSE 04-20-2022 12:59 PM

They are being targeted because they stated their opinion. Not allowed in Florida.

Florida does not have state income tax, a big part of the reason is Disney. They bring in 50 million tourists per year. They pay over a billion in income tax per year. They bring in over $75 billion in tourist revenue per year. They employ over 40,000 central Florida residents.

But, they committed a sin, by stating that they support thousands of employees and millions of guests, and worst of all they did it publicly.

So much for fee speech.

I hope they don’t move out of the state, I kind of like not paying state income tax.

Keefelane66 04-20-2022 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2086013)

It may be a constitutional issue of Free Speech addressing the Government which we can disagree with according to the first amendment. In private forums Facebook, Twitter and TOTV or at work, speech can be controlled.
Although the First Amendment says “Congress,” the Supreme Court has held that speakers are protected against all government agencies and officials: federal, state, and local, and legislative, executive, or judicial.
Interpretation: Freedom of Speech and the Press | The National Constitution Center.

Bogie Shooter 04-20-2022 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael G. (Post 2086013)

The head honcho in announcing the review, it was for special districts formed before 1967. That would include Disney. Convenient huh?

Hardly has anything to do with free speech……..

MartinSE 04-20-2022 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keefelane66 (Post 2086033)
It may be a constitutional issue of Free Speech addressing the Government which we can disagree with according to the first amendment. In private forums Facebook, Twitter and TOTV or at work, speech can be controlled.
Although the First Amendment says “Congress,” the Supreme Court has held that speakers are protected against all government agencies and officials: federal, state, and local, and legislative, executive, or judicial.
Interpretation: Freedom of Speech and the Press | The National Constitution Center.

This is true, and the action is certainly retribution by the government. But, I expect they don’t have a chance to stop the retribution.

I tried to avoid any political reference, oh well.

Bogie Shooter 04-20-2022 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinSE (Post 2086038)
This is true, and the action is certainly retribution by the government. But, I expect they don’t have a chance to stop the retribution.

I tried to avoid any political reference, oh well.

They could close the park.:ohdear:

MartinSE 04-20-2022 01:22 PM

They could, I expect they don’t. It would be very expensive.

As I said. I don’t expect anything will come of it. It seems nothing ever comes of anything any more

npwalters 04-20-2022 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 2086041)

MUCH more likely that they would just make a gagillion dollars per year instead of a gagagillion.

photo1902 04-20-2022 01:28 PM

Quote:

Not for another year...I just renewed my Annual Pass!

Topspinmo 04-20-2022 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinSE (Post 2086031)
They are being targeted because they stated their opinion. Not allowed in Florida.

Florida does not have state income tax, a big part of the reason is Disney. They bring in 50 million tourists per year. They pay over a billion in income tax per year. They bring in over $75 billion in tourist revenue per year. They employ over 40,000 central Florida residents.

But, they committed a sin, by stating that they support thousands of employees and millions of guests, and worst of all they did it publicly.

So much for fee speech.

I hope they don’t move out of the state, I kind of like not paying state income tax.

You get taxes other ways which comes out same or more. There no free lunch.

Topspinmo 04-20-2022 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinSE (Post 2086031)

So much for fee speech.

I don’t think Disney was following Florida law? There not going to move there most productive park

Topspinmo 04-20-2022 01:37 PM

Quote:

More room for villages.:icon_wink: