Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Medication, Medication, Medication (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/medication-medication-medication-166507/)

inthemindofanurse 10-13-2015 07:23 PM

Medication, Medication, Medication

So, for today's post I'm going to stick with discussing medications.

When you go to the doctor to verify medications there is actually more than either "yes or no" if you are taking something. Now, all EMR (electronic medical records) systems are different so this might not be true for all places; but either way your doctors office should know this information :)

When I open your medication list it has the medication and 4 boxes next to it. One of them have to be checked next to each med. The boxes are labeled T, N, U, D. The T stands for taking, the N stands for not taking, the U stands for unknown, the D stands for discontinued.

TAKING- this means you are taking the medication as prescribed on the bottle. If you have a Rx for Ambien or Xanax 90% of the time it will say take "blah blah blah" as needed or prn. If you only need this medication once every 6 months and you still have the bottle in your home, it is considered Taking. We will generally make a comment in the nurses section that you take it rarely if that's the case.

NOT TAKING- This is where some folks might not understand this option. There are some of you that if you are given a prescription for pain medication after a surgery and it says "take 1 every 6 hours as needed for 10 days" at the end of 10 days if there is anything left you discard it. Well, more often than not, people keep that medication on hand (I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that!) So when I ask if you are still taking Hydrocodone, your automatic answer may be to say "no" But if you still have it in your home I need to know that and mark that medication as Not Taking.

UNKNOWN- the patient simply can't remember even with helping try to remind them what the medication is taken for, who gave it, when...

DISCONTINUED- the medication is not in your home at all.

Why we need to know such specifics is for a few different reasons
>If a patient has addiction problems, suicidal thoughts, memory issues we know what drugs they have at their disposal.
>If a patient comes in with an injury and they tell us they took one of their old pain meds from hip surgery 2 years ago, we know what that medication was
>If a patient comes in sick and they say they took some antibiotic that they had left over from last year we know what antibiotic that is (they are not all treated the same)
>If a patient comes in with their elderly mother and are in a complete panic because she went into the medicine cabinet and took some medicine and nobody know what because she can't find the bottles and she is now lethargic. We can look at your chart and know what all you have in your home and can decide if there is a major problem.

So, if you are hanging on to that antibiotic or pain med. Let us know! Yes, your doctor will probably tell you to get rid of them. However, you are a grown up and can tell them "no" I want to keep it for emergencies. This way if anything bad happens we have all the information.

Thanks for reading :) Good night

NYGUY 10-13-2015 10:01 PM

Oh, I get it. We are being schooled...should be interesting!!

billethkid 10-13-2015 10:41 PM

Why are we, suddenly viewed, as in need of such schooling?
Second one in a week.
I am not sure who the poster thinks his/her audience is!

Barefoot 10-13-2015 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1128881)
Why are we, suddenly viewed, as in need of such schooling? Second one in a week. I am not sure who the poster thinks his/her audience is!

Fourth thread on meds, but we all need reminding.

rubicon 10-14-2015 04:06 AM

Dear OP:

thank you

graciegirl 10-14-2015 04:30 AM

///

graciegirl 10-14-2015 04:34 AM

I think it was VERY helpful that you reminded everyone to make a list of medications, but this new post makes me wonder how satisfied you are in your job.

kittygilchrist 10-14-2015 04:37 AM

Note to self...ignore nursemind posts.

Becuzzzz..I know this already....

graciegirl 10-14-2015 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittygilchrist (Post 1128909)
Note to self...ignore nursemind posts.

Good advice Kitty. I think, I'll take it myself.

golfing eagles 10-14-2015 05:26 AM

Dear OP:

I've been defending you so far, your advice has been sound despite wording that could be toned down a bit. But now you are coming off as quite didactic; perhaps you could save the lecture series for a first year nursing class and distill down any information you wish to impart to that which is helpful to the average senior patient. I know it is hard at times, especially once you start typing and get in the teaching mode.

vorage 10-14-2015 07:14 AM

Thank you for posting. I learned something about an annoying process at my dr office and thanks to you, I get it now.

dbussone 10-14-2015 07:21 AM

Medication, Medication, Medication

My wife is an RN (retired nurse). I think your intent is good, but I must agree with golfing Eagles. It comes across as too preachy. My wife says I am a lousy patient but her tone is kind even when she is on my case about some medical issue.

outlaw 10-14-2015 07:31 AM

Uh, this thread is in Medical and Health issues? What do you want a nurse to talk about in this section? Auto transmission rebuild?

FosterMomma 10-14-2015 07:57 AM

I don't really understand why people are offended by the information being given here when it sounds both sensible and important. My guess is that most patients do not answer the drug questions properly, particularly the one relating to whether you still have any part of your prescription left in the house. Now I understand the importance, I will answer differently.

Mudder 10-14-2015 08:01 AM

Ok, I read this post, I felt like it was a class on medication tracking 101. Most of us know it is important to know our medications, etc.... And those who don't probably are not going to follow your advice at this point in their lives. So I'm dropping out of this online class........give me an incomplete .