Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   First flight out of MCO (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/first-flight-out-mco-347646/)

Ignatz 02-12-2024 08:05 PM

First flight out of MCO

Hello all... We're new to TV and we'll be flying out of Orlando for a quick trip.

How soon before the flight should we actually plan to arrive at the airport to be "on time", taking into account walking time, security queue, etc.?

Flight is on a Saturday mid-morning. Tickets are already purchased and will check in on-line. No luggage, just a personal item to carry on.

We're using Spirit airlines (first time for this too).

Trying to calculate which Groome shuttle to book (express vs. home pickup and what time). We're near Dabney so we should be the last ones picked up before they get onto the turnpike.

Smalley 02-12-2024 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignatz (Post 2300493)
Hello all... We're new to TV and we'll be flying out of Orlando for a quick trip.

How soon before the flight should we actually plan to arrive at the airport to be "on time", taking into account walking time, security queue, etc.?

Flight is on a Saturday mid-morning. Tickets are already purchased and will check in on-line. No luggage, just a personal item to carry on.

Trying to calculate which Groome shuttle to book (express vs. home pickup and what time). We're near Dabney so we should be the last ones picked up before they get onto the turnpike.

Assuming this is a domestic flight. I don't think Spirit does international but I never checked. Anyway, we figure 2 hours for a domestic flight. It's similar to other big city airports in terms of time needed. You won't have to park a car which will save some time. Bon Voyage!

Altavia 02-12-2024 08:47 PM

Need to add an extra 30-60 min for Turnpike construction shutdowns, they are frequent.

Clear is useful in MCO to avoid the herds of families visiting local attractions clogging up security.

Tampa is a good alternative to MCO, 10 min longer drive but much easier airport to navigate.

macawlaw 02-12-2024 08:57 PM

When you make a reservation for home pick-up online, Groome gives you three options for a pick-up time. I have always picked the first one (I live north of you) and it has always worked out fine. Security is a crap shoot. It has taken me as little as 15 minutes up to 75 minutes.

Rainger99 02-12-2024 09:13 PM

Quote:

You want to be at the airport at least two hours before departure. That way, if there are delays on the Turnpike (major problems today) you have some flexibility. The Turnpike is usually great but I have been stopped for 90 minutes. At least I wasn’t trying to catch a flight.

Airports are horrible places to wait for a flight but they are even worse if you miss your flight!

Good luck with spirit!

kkingston57 02-12-2024 10:22 PM

Quote:

Biggest thing to think about is whether you have TSA pre or global entry. 30-40 minutes extra for non TSA pre. Long lines at MCO. Also, if you use curb side porters can make a huge difference. Driving from Spanish Springs to airport we have been able to get to gate(including parking) in as little as 2 1/2 hours.

Not a lot of walking in Orlando airport. They do have monorails going to the terminals.

RICH1 02-13-2024 05:13 AM

Get a Room near the Orlando Airport the night before! If your shuttle forgets you or the Turnpike is jacked up, you may miss your Flight! Many Hotels will let you park there, and take you to the airport...

BrianL99 02-13-2024 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkingston57 (Post 2300535)

Not a lot of walking in Orlando airport. They do have monorails going to the terminals.

You've obviously not experienced Terminal C.

$2.8 BILLION dollar construction job that recently opened and the entire building has to be redesigned, because the airport CEO and Airport Authority are ego-maniacs and went for bling and not practicality. Your walk in Terminal C can be over 1/2 mile.

ThirdOfFive 02-13-2024 06:03 AM

Security can be a bear at MCO. In my experience a wait of 1/2 hour to 45 minutes is to be expected. It can be more, so allow for that. I'd much rather wait in a (relatively) comfortable seat at the gate than stuck in a security line wondering if the flight will take off without me.

BrianL99 02-13-2024 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive (Post 2300569)
Security can be a bear at MCO. In my experience a wait of 1/2 hour to 45 minutes is to be expected. It can be more, so allow for that. I'd much rather wait in a (relatively) comfortable seat at the gait than stuck in a security line wondering if the flight will take off without me.

The wait line to get into the Lounges at Orlando, can be 1/2 an hour, so that's not much help either.

Keefelane66 02-13-2024 07:51 AM

It's general suggested knowledge for years to arrive at airport 2hours b4 flight departure

Coop63 02-13-2024 08:07 AM

Quote:

2 things I would check:
1. If it's a quick trip, you might be able to find long-term parking cheaper. I use to fly out of Detroit using off airport parking with a great shuttle service.
2. Uber could be cheaper if more then one person

MrFlorida 02-13-2024 09:46 AM

1 hr for travel, and 2 for TSA= 3 hours.

Snakster66 02-13-2024 10:28 AM

As mentioned earlier; TSA pre-check is invaluable for MCO. Highly recommended. It has taken me from absolutely hating MCO, to not really minding it at all.

shut the front door 02-13-2024 10:46 AM

If you don't have Clear or tsa pre-check, MCO let's you make an appt to go thru TSA. Just go to the website and pick your time, you'll have a 20 minute window to do your check in. You skip the long lines.