Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/)
-   -   Havana greens B.A.D. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-golf-course-conditions-471/havana-greens-b-d-338978/)

sdeikenberry 02-12-2023 06:14 AM

Havana greens B.A.D.

Although winter conditions prevail and are to be expected, the greens on Kilimanjaro and Kena have an abundance of weed grass that inhibits staying on the line of putting. Even a short 18" straight putt to the cup goes off course when it hits a clump of weed grass on the green. It appears there is no effort to contain the weed grass as it's vibrant and abundant on every one of the 18 greens we played on Feb 10. Our group saw no brown weed grass indicating zero application of killer product to keep it under control. Otherwise the course was as to be expected this time of year.

waynet 02-12-2023 09:19 AM

Nothing new. It's the worst conditioned course in the villages. No accountability. no pride in their work. Everything done on the cheap. We don't include it in our rotation until it improves.

kkingston57 02-12-2023 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdeikenberry (Post 2186485)
Although winter conditions prevail and are to be expected, the greens on Kilimanjaro and Kena have an abundance of weed grass that inhibits staying on the line of putting. Even a short 18" straight putt to the cup goes off course when it hits a clump of weed grass on the green. It appears there is no effort to contain the weed grass as it's vibrant and abundant on every one of the 18 greens we played on Feb 10. Our group saw no brown weed grass indicating zero application of killer product to keep it under control. Otherwise the course was as to be expected this time of year.

Replace B.A.D. with DOA. Need to hire the greenskeeper from Glenview.

Bay Kid 02-13-2023 09:28 AM

My Monday group had us play there last month. Terrible then. I told them not to play there anymore this year. Almost went inside and asked for my money back.

BrianL99 02-13-2023 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkingston57 (Post 2186730)
Replace B.A.D. with DOA. Need to hire the greenskeeper from Glenview.

Glenview Greens were terrible on Friday. Mallory's awful today. Havana always atrocious. About 1/2 of Evans Prairie Greens are OK, the other half is awful. Palmer Riley Grove is ok, the Laurel & Cherry, not so good.

The only decent Greens I've found on campus in the last 3 weeks, is Tierra del Sol.

Papa_lecki 02-13-2023 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2187110)
Glenview Greens were terrible on Friday. Mallory's awful today. Havana always atrocious. About 1/2 of Evans Prairie Greens are OK, the other half is awful. Palmer Riley Grove is ok, the Laurel & Cherry, not so good.

The only decent Greens I've found on campus in the last 3 weeks, is Tierra del Sol.

Bonifay are decent

UpNorth 02-13-2023 08:27 PM

Quote:

That "weed grass" is poa annua (annual bluegrass) that pops up during Spring and Fall. No specific herbicide is available that can get rid of it. It produces tiny seeds that spread like crazy, and can be carried from green to green on lawnmower equipment. The only way to get rid of it is to kill the entire green and replant or resod. You will see it spreading on many of the executive courses (Palmetto, for example, has the worst greens I've ever seen around here). Interesting that Pebble Beach has plenty of poa in there greens, but they manage it with suppressants and mow them often in the spring to keep the surface flat. The only good news is the the poa turns yellow and dies when it gets hot. It is a cool season grass.

No excuses for the conditions here - there are 18 absolutely PERFECT greens over at Silver Springs Shores that you can play for half the price of a Villages Championship course.

Papa_lecki 02-13-2023 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpNorth (Post 2187133)
That "weed grass" is poa annua (annual bluegrass) that pops up during Spring and Fall. No specific herbicide is available that can get rid of it. It produces tiny seeds that spread like crazy, and can be carried from green to green on lawnmower equipment. The only way to get rid of it is to kill the entire green and replant or resod. You will see it spreading on many of the executive courses (Palmetto, for example, has the worst greens I've ever seen around here). Interesting that Pebble Beach has plenty of poa in there greens, but they manage it with suppressants and mow them often in the spring to keep the surface flat. The only good news is the the poa turns yellow and dies when it gets hot. It is a cool season grass.

No excuses for the conditions here - there are 18 absolutely PERFECT greens over at Silver Springs Shores that you can play for half the price of a Villages Championship course.

Can the Poa Seeds get transported on golf shoes? I.e. you play palmetto today and Havana tomorrow, seeds travel?

golfhacker 02-14-2023 05:12 AM

It seems that a good majority of both championship and executive villages courses have greens that are in sad shape.

BrianL99 02-14-2023 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpNorth (Post 2187133)

There are many PGA Tour golf courses with Poa Greens, including such places as PB as you mentioned, but also Winged Foot, Torrey Pines & Riviera.

Admittedly, it's hard to get rid of, but I suspect poor cultivation practices all year long in TV, make it much easier for the Poa to take over this time of the year.

George Page 02-14-2023 07:56 AM

You’re blaming winter conditions!? I disagree. Visit some neighboring courses outside The Villages. Fantastic conditions are achievable. Blame the greenskeepers and those establishing the maintenance budgets.

HORNET 02-14-2023 09:33 AM

Golf outside The Villages and see what you get. We in The Villages are better off than those who live in surrounding communities!

bobmarc 02-14-2023 10:07 AM

Played Glenview yesterday and whole course conditions, including greens, were great. We will not play Havana nor Evans Prairie as conditions were, and continue to be, atrocious .

Steve 02-15-2023 08:37 AM

Quote:

You say "the course was as to be expected this time of year". Actually, if overseeded properly, the course should be in it's best shape. Usually The Villages courses are in better shape during the higher population months than in the summer because of that overseed. Reading the comments about the condition of all the other courses here I'm glad I play outside TV this time of year. Better courses at half the price!!

sdeikenberry 02-16-2023 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 2187735)
You say "the course was as to be expected this time of year". Actually, if overseeded properly, the course should be in it's best shape. Usually The Villages courses are in better shape during the higher population months than in the summer because of that overseed. Reading the comments about the condition of all the other courses here I'm glad I play outside TV this time of year. Better courses at half the price!!

I'm glad you enjoy the courses you play outside TV and I don't dun you for doing so...please don't feel you have to disparage those who choose to play inside TV. Have a nice day!