Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Sliding doors need lubricated? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/sliding-doors-need-lubricated-329223/)

billethkid 02-14-2022 01:27 PM

Sliding doors need lubricated?

Our stackable sliders....4 double pane 8 foot high slders are very heavy.
I have cleaned and wiped down the tracks but the panels still seem very "stiff".

I do not want to use a lube (oil) of any kind....I thought maybe a silicone spray???

I am checking sliding window sources but wanted to see what some have done here.

ex34449 02-14-2022 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 2061392)
Our stackable sliders....4 double pane 8 foot high slders are very heavy.
I have cleaned and wiped down the tracks but the panels still seem very "stiff".

I do not want to use a lube (oil) of any kind....I thought maybe a silicone spray???

I am checking sliding window sources but wanted to see what some have done here.

Doubtful it's the tracks. Most likely it's the rollers themselves. I remove and clean ours every few years. They get pretty dirty.

Michael G. 02-14-2022 03:48 PM

I'm in the market for sliders.
Anyone have the type with the rollers on top of the door?

Bjeanj 02-14-2022 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex34449 (Post 2061393)
Doubtful it's the tracks. Most likely it's the rollers themselves. I remove and clean ours every few years. They get pretty dirty.

Can you explain in more detail? Meaning, you have to take the door off the tracks, right? Are the rollers easy to take off/put back on?

tophcfa 02-14-2022 04:05 PM

Silicone spray is a good option, that’s what I use.

Topspinmo 02-14-2022 05:58 PM

I have single sliding doors. Have same problem, cleaning didn’t work, lubricant didn’t work, adjustment didn’t work. I remove locking brackets, lifted them out. (Very heavy, but doable it strong enough) turned the on side. In my case the rollers were encased in lower frame removed the screws, Took my big rubber hammer and short 2x4, and tapped the bottom frame off. (Make sure you look at the adjusters If they are pegged out get the next size larger rollers. Usually starting at around 1 inch. That way If wrong rollers were installed you will have adjust ability.) disassembled the rollers out of brackets, replaced with new ones, ran adjuster screw all way down, Reassembled, clean track good, installed door, locks, and adjusted with screw at end of door that lifts doorframe off the tracks. Slide like they was on ice now. Good for another 20 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFSE8xnrB_k

Video Should be similar to one you have?

Topspinmo 02-14-2022 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjeanj (Post 2061453)
Can you explain in more detail? Meaning, you have to take the door off the tracks, right? Are the rollers easy to take off/put back on?

If aluminum you may have to take lower frame off to get roller assembly out. Watch video above if you have that type of sliding door.

dewilson58 02-14-2022 06:05 PM

I have not expert support for what I dew.

WD-40 on the lower track.
Wide it all off (clean) with a cotton cloth.
Repeat.

Then I use garage door track lubricant.
I got mine at Lowe's.
Spray the lower track.......run the doors open and closed a couple times.

Don't over spray, just collects dust.

:coolsmiley:

DonnaNi4os 02-15-2022 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2061519)
I have not expert support for what I dew.

WD-40 on the lower track.
Wide it all off (clean) with a cotton cloth.
Repeat.

Then I use garage door track lubricant.
I got mine at Lowe's.
Spray the lower track.......run the doors open and closed a couple times.

Don't over spray, just collects dust.

:coolsmiley:

WD40 is not the best choice of lubricant as it is sticky and sand and dirt tends to stick to it. I had a condo on the beach and was told to use a silicone spray instead which is not sticky. Just a suggestion. Thanks.

dewilson58 02-15-2022 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os (Post 2061584)
WD40 is not the best choice of lubricant as it is sticky and sand and dirt tends to stick to it.

Don:
Read post.
It's a cleaning agent.
It's wiped clean.

eeroger 02-15-2022 07:09 AM

Patio Doors

We had our large/tall & very heavy doors repaired by Todd Hunter, 352-217-1401. It took 2 guys with special suction cups to remove the doors, replace the rollers, adjust the doors once reinstalled and lubricate everything. It was expensive ($400), but we'll worth it.

richs631 02-15-2022 07:19 AM

There is an adjust screw on the slider and it’s very possible that you just need a slight adjustment. Maybe a quarter turn. Lubricant attract dirt which can make the conditions worse

ChicagoNative 02-15-2022 07:24 AM

We were told by the installer NOT to use wd40, but pledge furniture polish. Haven’t had any issues since.

chucklevy 02-15-2022 08:30 AM

Lube for sliding doors

The best I've ever used is Endust. No oily residue.

Rick777 02-15-2022 08:37 AM

Lubes don't work. The rollers are bad. Been through this with my triple doors on premier.
Call Romac. Give them your model number of doors. They will send out (2) 300 lb men who will take doors off (lift) and replace rollers. Next you need to clean the aluminum tracks with a 4x steel pad with aluminum cleaner. Couple hundred bucks but well worth it. I can roll my door with pinky finger now. Tracks look like new now. Don't let them put steel tube covers over tracks. Don't need them.