Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Speeding Golf Carts (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/speeding-golf-carts-103923/)

BobnBev 02-05-2014 06:10 AM

Speeding Golf Carts

I have noticed a HUGE increase of speeding golf carts.
Mine tops out at 19.9 MPH.
Anybody got a reason to speed here in the bubble?
These things aren't built for speed.
:gc::gc::gc:

Mimivillager 02-05-2014 06:23 AM

:agree:

2BNTV 02-05-2014 06:40 AM

I've noticed the same thing. Maybe snowbirds, who feel they must get everywhere, as fast as they can, so as to not miss anything? On the other hand, some people have no patience.

I've noticed increased traffic in general, so it pays to be careful out there. For us residents, we have all the time in the world so I let them pass, and go on my merry way and not be peturbed.

I use to feel before being retired, that I had to get anywhere, as fast as I could. Being retired now means, I will enjoy the ride, and plan accordingly for enough time, to get to my destination.

karostay 02-05-2014 06:50 AM

That means for 8 months of the year no one gets passed by speeding carts
Snowbirds are easy pickings

skip0358 02-05-2014 07:23 AM

Don't blame the Snow Birds. Yea the traffic is heavy right now. I live here full time and I can tell you I get passed EVERYDAY. My cart is set at 19.9-20 MPH. That's fast enough period. The cart motor, brakes, steering and suspension were designed for that speed period. If you need to go faster drive your car.

redwitch 02-05-2014 07:41 AM

I have my cart set to get about 22 mph. I rarely use that extra speed but it does come in handy passing the Villages' rental carts. Most of the time, I clock at 19-20 mph.

Those that go faster are free to pass me all they want. I'll even slow down for them so they can safely get back into the path as soon as possible. Sometimes people do run late and do have to be somewhere at a certain time, retired or no. So, I cut them some slack and let them hurry on by. Doesn't hurt me, helps keep them safe and definitely saves on aggravation.

er9027 02-05-2014 08:12 AM

I agree !

TNLAKEPANDA 02-05-2014 08:24 AM

I would not want to be in a golf cart that flips over! Going fast when no one is around is one thing but in cart traffic it can be dangerous just like in a car.

Bay Kid 02-05-2014 08:25 AM

It is hard to enjoy the ride wide open!

TNLAKEPANDA 02-05-2014 08:27 AM

This guy lives somewhere in FL... check out the video. Talk about speeding golf carts!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fw0oCFE2GQ]Hayabusa Golf Cart: 100+ mph POV test drive & owner interview - YouTube[/ame]

Happinow 02-05-2014 08:50 AM

Better be safe than sorry

People are not very patient these days. I was in my cart headed down Pinellas to cross the Sanibal gate to Morse and it was sitting there waiting for traffic to clear. It was one car after the other so I had to sit for a bit, which I don't mind. Another cart pulled up beside me, after being behind me and appeared to be aggravated that it was taking so long to get across. She took a chance at scooting across the road and narrowly missed getting hit with an oncoming car through the gate. It was someone who lives about 5 houses down from me. I am not a risk taker when it comes to crossing at the gates. I guess I'd better be safe than dead!

John_W 02-05-2014 10:09 AM

I also noticed on I-75 when we traveled to Ocala last week and that most everyone was exceeding the speed limit of 70mph.

billethkid 02-05-2014 10:49 AM

all who are concerned need to write to county and State officials putting them on notice they are allowing a safety issue to grow in their area of responsibility....golf carts able to go above 19.9 mph.

Secondly request they develop legislation to change to a known safe speed for which the carts were designed.

It is just not neccessary for any reason to have to go any faster.

Going 63 mph in a 60 mph zone gets you 3 miles further AFTER ONE HOUR!!!!!!!
Going 23++ gets you how much further 15 minutes later when arriving where speeding to do so.

The math alone shows how stupid it is to go above 20 mph.

And oh by the way there is no rule that states one must have the pedal to the floor which is how most do drive.

Another very simple problem to a known safety issue that can be EASILY SOLVED.....BUT ISN'T. Now just why is that?

Billyworld 02-05-2014 11:07 AM

......and they say this is Florida's friendliest town?

gomoho 02-05-2014 11:11 AM

Cause people will do what they want not what you want them to do.