Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Roof replacement (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/roof-replacement-348335/)

villagetinker 03-07-2024 07:47 PM

Roof replacement

I posed this question to an advertiser, and almost immediately the entire thread disappeared so let's get some other thoughts and opinions.

If the insurance companies are going to force you to replace your roof every 10 to (if you are lucky) 15 years, why would you go for the expensive long life roof shingles? I was thinking about this as an acquaintance spent several thousand dollars extra for 25 or 30 year shingles. I am thinking I would go cheap as I will either be dead or I will have saved a lot of money. I have not heard of any insurance company requirements for the QUALITY OF THE SHINGLES.

Looking forward to some inciteful discussion on this.

retiredguy123 03-07-2024 07:55 PM

I didn't know you could buy a cheaper asphalt shingle. Can you provide some information about it?

retired guy 03-07-2024 08:08 PM

Has anyone ever considered a metal shingle? Are the allowed?
I have them on my house in Pa., they look like a standard shingle only have a shine.
Looks like the will hold up to the wind 120 mph & hail here & have a 40 yr. warranty.
Check out Kasselandirons.com Kasselwood steel shingle.

biker1 03-07-2024 08:39 PM

If you are talking 3-tab shingles to get the cost down as low as possible, I would think twice about that. What you have is probably architectural shingles. Perhaps Certainteed Landmark, a pretty common architectural shingle used around the time your house was built. I think that is the least you would want to do for the aesthetics. You can spend more for a different look and possibly a longer life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2308659)
I posed this question to an advertiser, and almost immediately the entire thread disappeared so let's get some other thoughts and opinions.

If the insurance companies are going to force you to replace your roof every 10 to (if you are lucky) 15 years, why would you go for the expensive long life roof shingles? I was thinking about this as an acquaintance spent several thousand dollars extra for 25 or 30 year shingles. I am thinking I would go cheap as I will either be dead or I will have saved a lot of money. I have not heard of any insurance company requirements for the QUALITY OF THE SHINGLES.

Looking forward to some inciteful discussion on this.

Arctic Fox 03-07-2024 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retired guy (Post 2308665)
Has anyone ever considered a metal shingle? Are the allowed?

I received permission from ARC for a metal roof "as long as it looks like shingles" - presumably rather than sheet metal - but opted for the regular shingles.

I was also tempted by a Tesla roof, but that was too expensive as a part-time resident.

Either way, it would be worth checking with your insurance company that they wouldn't insist on replacing it every 15-20 years.

CarlR33 03-07-2024 10:22 PM

You would think if roof shingles were an “issue” in this part of the country they would consider alternatives. We visited another FL retirement village over near the Gulf and all those homes had the tile roofs.

Topspinmo 03-07-2024 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2308662)
I didn't know you could buy a cheaper asphalt shingle. Can you provide some information about it?

Todays prices like like $39 square or $59 square for asphalt shingles. 3 tab shingles are $35 square.

Topspinmo 03-07-2024 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biker1 (Post 2308670)
If you are talking 3-tab shingles, I would think twice about that, assuming they still make them. What you have is probably 25 year architectural shingles (which doesn’t mean they will last that long). Perhaps Certainteed Landmark. I think that is the least you would want to do for the aesthetics. You can spend more for a different look and possibly a longer life.

Yes they still make them for $35 square, my 3 tab roof was still in good shape, no leaks, no buckling, loosing little sand after 21 years. I had to replace perfectly good roof just to get insurance. I still see 3 tab roofs around villages.

4$ALE 03-08-2024 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topspinmo (Post 2308689)
Yes they still make them for $35 square, my 3 tab roof was still in good shape, no leaks, no buckling, loosing little sand after 21 years. I had to replace perfectly good roof just to get insurance. I still see 3 tab roofs around villages.

:shrug: I could be wrong, but don't think so. Are you sure about what you posted? I have done some roofing in my day. $35.00 a square for 3 tab shingles??? Maybe $35.00 a bundle - 3 bundles to a square - that would be $105.00 a square (material only). That was the price some years ago..... have no clue what it is now. I just KNOW it's NOT $35.00 a square. :)

Randall55 03-08-2024 05:51 AM

This is a question that needs to be answered by your insurance company. They have at risk data they rely on to set rates. If their data shows cheaper roofs fail more often, you will be looking at a higher insurance rate. I suppose one would have to look at the amount saved on the cheaper roof vrs the possible hike in insurance to determine which is more cost-effective.

Stu from NYC 03-08-2024 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall55 (Post 2308702)
This is a question that needs to be answered by your insurance company. They have at risk data they rely on to set rates. If their data shows cheaper roofs fail more often, you will be looking at a higher insurance rate. I suppose one would have to look at the amount saved on the cheaper roof vrs the possible hike in insurance to determine which is more cost-effective.

Interesting. Problem as I see it is after 5-10 years will you still have the same insurance company. What one says might be different down the road from another.

gorillarick 03-08-2024 09:09 AM

metal roof !

Isn't it a bummer that metal roofs are used on rec centers and neighborhood postal/pool buildings, but we're required to have ugly shingle roofs that are mostly excellent at heating our attics?

The Villages would have been a modern and young looking place if metal had been used on all roofs for the past 30 years. Really nothing different here than in 90% of the humdrum cookie-cutter homes throughout the US.

Yeah, they're more expensive; but they last longer, more energy efficient, and better storm protection.

Topspinmo 03-08-2024 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4$ALE (Post 2308692)
:shrug: I could be wrong, but don't think so. Are you sure about what you posted? I have done some roofing in my day. $35.00 a square for 3 tab shingles??? Maybe $35.00 a bundle - 3 bundles to a square - that would be $105.00 a square (material only). That was the price some years ago..... have no clue what it is now. I just KNOW it's NOT $35.00 a square. :)

You’re right it was bundle prices was from Lowe’s

Topspinmo 03-08-2024 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorillarick (Post 2308762)
Isn't it a bummer that metal roofs are used on rec centers and neighborhood postal/pool buildings, but we're required to have ugly shingle roofs that are mostly excellent at heating our attics?

The Villages would have been a modern and young looking place if metal had been used on all roofs for the past 30 years. Really nothing different here than in 90% of the humdrum cookie-cutter homes throughout the US.

Yeah, they're more expensive; but they last longer, more energy efficient, and better storm protection.

If you look at townhouses around Spanish springs you will see all three with different colors on same townhouses. Shingles, tile, and metal, all mixed colors. Looks like _____ to me.

Topspinmo 03-08-2024 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlR33 (Post 2308681)
You would think if roof shingles were an “issue” in this part of the country they would consider alternatives. We visited another FL retirement village over near the Gulf and all those homes had the tile roofs.

IMO In central Florida Shingles are not problem, suspicion inspectors are the problem, most shingle in Florida last 20 years or more unless there was unusual weather incident.