Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   iPad Pro A1674 WiFi greyed out repair options? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/ipad-pro-a1674-wifi-greyed-out-repair-options-315104/)

SFSkol 01-15-2021 10:06 AM

iPad Pro A1674 WiFi greyed out repair options?

Mom has an iPad Pro 2016 9.5" where the WiFi option is greyed out. (all other devices can connect wirelessly in the house) I suspect that the WiFi modem has failed. Online research shows that it might be able to be repaired. New 2020 iPad Pro cost about $1,000+/-. She needs cellular capabilities, (currently thru Verizon.)

This machine is her lifeline to her great-grandkids. I have set up a Chromebook so at least she can browse, email, and zoom. But she is having difficulty mousing around.

I'm looking for some suggestions /advice on alternatives to purchasing a replacement.

Does anyone have experience repairing their iPad Pro?

Marathon Man 01-15-2021 10:20 AM

Have you tried 'unplug - wait 60 sec - plug back in' to reset the router?

will1546 01-15-2021 10:30 AM

Tried forced restart? Sometimes it will solve the problems.

SFSkol 01-15-2021 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marathon Man (Post 1887783)
Have you tried 'unplug - wait 60 sec - plug back in' to reset the router?

All other devices can connect to the router. If the iPad could not connect to our wireless router, it would still find other WiFi networks nearby.

The WiFi option on the iPad is greyed out. Unavailable.

I have tried ALL the reset options. Nothing works.

Bill14564 01-15-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFSkol (Post 1887793)
All other devices can connect to the router. If the iPad could not connect to our wireless router, it would still find other WiFi networks nearby.

The WiFi option on the iPad is greyed out. Unavailable.

I have tried ALL the reset options. Nothing works.

I apologize if you've already tried this, but did the iPad accidentally get put into airplane mode? The wifi button on mine is gray when this happens.

iPads last for a long time but if it comes down to it you might just want to upgrade to the newer version for the increased capabilities.

SFSkol 01-15-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 1887800)
I apologize if you've already tried this, but did the iPad accidentally get put into airplane mode? The wifi button on mine is gray when this happens.

iPads last for a long time but if it comes down to it you might just want to upgrade to the newer version for the increased capabilities.

That's the first thing I tried, since she had done this before.

Pretty sure it is a hardware issue. Looking for repair suggestions please.

Stu from NYC 01-15-2021 11:15 AM

u break it i fix it has done good work for us

SFSkol 01-15-2021 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 1887817)
u break it i fix it has done good work for us

Just called them. Motherboard issue beyond their ken.

tophcfa 01-15-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFSkol (Post 1887825)
Just called them. Motherboard issue beyond their ken.

My iPad started spontaneously powering down every few seconds and it was also an issue with the motherboard that was beyond fixing. Apparently the regulators have forced the use of an eco friendly solder in the motherboard circuits that is frequently failing. Go figure?

retiredguy123 01-15-2021 12:40 PM

It could be that the built-in wireless adapter has failed. You can buy an external wireless adapter that is about the size of a flash drive for about 20 dollars and just plug it into a usb port on the Ipad. You may need to use a usb adapter to convert from a regular usb input to the smaller Ipad usb input connection.

Blackie 01-15-2021 12:55 PM

Call Apple support. They will ensure that you have tried everything possible to fix the issue.

They will advise if it is repairable.

SFSkol 01-15-2021 01:05 PM

An interesting thought. I have multiple USB WiFi adapters that I can try when I get home. A,B,G,N,AC. Although I doubt that the Apple OS has appropriate drivers. But will try all and keep this thread advised.

Does anyone know what brand of WIFi adapter is in the iPad Pro 2016? Having trouble finding details on the internet.

villagetinker 01-15-2021 01:19 PM

The new eco friendly solder is LEAD FREE and the early use of this caused a phenomena called "tin wiskers' where the tin in the solder would actually grow wiskers which according to Murphy's law go to the closet point to cause a short circuit. Do so repair work and this stuff is miserable to work with. OP sorry, i have never worked on any Apple equipment.

bncuhler@verizon.net 01-16-2021 06:33 AM

Is it on airplane mode?

Billz 01-16-2021 06:43 AM

If all of the previous suggestions fail try Gizmo Depot in Lady Lake. The repaired my phone. They were timely and reasonable