Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Utility bill (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/utility-bill-251547/)

Bowtorc 12-30-2017 12:42 AM

Utility bill

Anyone other than us having problems with paying our utility bill? Twice in the the last year we get past due notice with our current bill. We have check numbers ,dates with account number on envelope and check but they don't get cashed? Not a big deal to pay but it sure makes us look bad.

aninjamom 12-30-2017 05:55 AM

We had the same problem with a couple of bills where I work in Lady Lake. We never got one bill, and the bank mailed out the other, but it never got there. It all points to the post office. I suspect that the post office had issues during the hurricane and after, not sure what could have happened to the missing mail. Did anyone else have this problem?

thelegges 12-30-2017 06:05 AM

I online bank, gave post office up years ago. My payment is there next day.

birdiebill 12-30-2017 07:10 AM

We set ours up for automatic pay. We get the bill in the mail showing the amount due and the date it will be automatically processed. We just enter the payment into our transaction records. It has been accurate and on time every time.

villagetinker 12-30-2017 11:33 AM

I had a problem with a "lost" check, they imposed a late fee, went to the office and explained what apparently happened, late fee removed, after i paid in person. This was about 6-7 months ago. I did not sign up for the automatic bill payment, as I thought there was a surcharge for the service, I may be wrong on this.

EdFNJ 12-30-2017 12:44 PM

I have written exactly 9 checks in probably the last 20+ years. Everything I do is online using Quicken online banking. Over that time I have had 2 problems. Both which were easily resolved. My checks are 15 years old and I just used the 8th and 9th ones for Christmas tips. The bank the checks are from were probably 4 generations before it became Wells Fargo (First National NJ) . I guess I should get a few checks with my FL address. Interesting how account number and routing haven't changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dan9871 12-30-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1497153)
I thought there was a surcharge for the service, I may be wrong on this.

There is no surcharge for setting up a direct bank payment.

There maybe a surcharge for using a credit card for payment.

JoMar 12-30-2017 02:20 PM

We autopay anything that will do autopay and use PayPal with anyone that accepts PayPal. We tie all to a credit card to get the rewards. Knocking on a lot of wood here but, have never had a problem with any vendor including all utility vendors. There are no surcharges on any of it. All incoming checks are direct deposited. I also deposit with my bank app on my smartphone (maybe three checks a year). Love technology and the elimination of those trips to the bank.

rjm1cc 12-30-2017 04:11 PM

Assume checks were not cashed so mail is the problem. Use the utilities automatic bill pay, go to a monthly budget and mail checks a month in advance, check your account on line to see that utility received your check etc.

Gpsma 12-31-2017 12:58 PM

Make you look bad???...we should all be at the point in life to not worry about such things.

graciegirl 12-31-2017 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gpsma (Post 1497636)
Make you look bad???...we should all be at the point in life to not worry about such things.

A lot of people still feel good about paying on time. It is the mark of a decent and ethical human being.

manaboutown 12-31-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gpsma (Post 1497636)

Maybe on my deathbed when I no longer need a good credit rating...

Chatbrat 12-31-2017 01:55 PM

Who needs a credit rating when you can pay for everything--Everything in our life is on auto-pilot, except longevity-made another day

barrianyoung 12-31-2017 02:36 PM

I have had similar problems in the past ("lost" checks). That is why I went to online payment (directly fom my checking account). Haven't had a problem since.

Sandtrap328 12-31-2017 02:42 PM

I use Citizens First for my banking. Their on-line banking and bill pay is totally free. The payments get to the company on time. It is extremely easy to use. They also have the "magic money machines" at about every post depot if you ever run short of cash.

Their branch offices also have free services like Xeroxing, notary services, and FREE POPCORN.

I have my TECO, SECO, and VCDD set on auto-draft and never even think about it. The correct amount to the penny is automatically sent.

Why use anything else?