Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   We're down to two (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/were-down-two-245049/)

Chatbrat 08-08-2017 10:57 AM

We're down to two

We're down to two country club restaurants that we'l frequent on a regular basis: Cane Garden and Arnold Palmer will now be our go to CC restaurants

Nancy Lopez is too far out of our area to consider and until Hemingway gets their menu revised we're giving them a pass too

Fred's restaurants are all cookies cutters of each other & their "institutional" style of food and presentation is not our cup of tea,

The other restaurants we frequent are Chefs of Napoli & the Bonefish

CWGUY 08-08-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1433723)
We're down to two country club restaurants that we'l frequent on a regular basis: Cane Garden and Arnold Palmer will now be our go to CC restaurants

Nancy Lopez is too far out of our area to consider and until Hemingway gets their menu revised we're giving them a pass too

Fred's restaurants are all cookies cutters of each other & their "institutional" style of food and presentation is not our cup of tea,

:rolleyes: I'll put that info. to good use!

Challenger 08-08-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

I would concur( might also agree!!)

Bogie Shooter 08-08-2017 12:39 PM

"Nancy Lopez is too far out of our area." ??
Area being Orlando..........................

Barefoot 08-08-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

We're down to two country club restaurants that we'l frequent on a regular basis: Cane Garden and Arnold Palmer will now be our go to CC restaurants.
Nancy Lopez is too far out of our area to consider and until Hemingway gets their menu revised we're giving them a pass too.

Where do you live, Village of Tampa?

Taltarzac725 08-08-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Those are the restaurants we like too.

raynan 08-08-2017 01:55 PM

Agree with OP's choices except I'll add Lopez back in. Worth the drive and it's not like it's that far!

Chatbrat 08-08-2017 01:57 PM

Being out of the area-for us is =you have a 30 minute window to leave a bar after having two martinis before you can hit the legal drunk limit- we wouldn't push the envelope-

Bogie Shooter 08-08-2017 05:01 PM

Maybe the solution is to have only one......might work.

Chatbrat 08-08-2017 05:17 PM

For us one martini with the apps. another with the entree--been doing this 40+ years zero tickets--knock wood

Nucky 08-08-2017 06:42 PM

This forum is for the give and take of our opinions so even if one's opinions are obnoxious they are acceptable. I truly understand that. I don't drink so it's hard for me to identify with the timing thing. I would never give up a great restaurant for that reason, at least I think I wouldn't put other people's or my lovely wifes life at risk for a drink. There have been regular advertisements on television that advise to not drink and drive. I've seen on TOTV'S that many people drink and drive in The Villages. I also only drive a Regular Ford not an expensive tank. I wonder if two drinks were consumed during dinner 10 minutes from home and then there was an accident and when all was said and done it took 2 hours to be tested would the drinker be illegal. I dislike seeing anyone get hurt ever especially a homey. I have not hit a horrendous restaurant here yet. A couple bad meals but that's life. Take Care.

Sandtrap328 08-08-2017 07:51 PM

I have to disagree big time on Chefs of Napoli. I ate there last summer ONE time. Terrible food and terrible service.

I ordered Eggplant Parmigiana. I sort of use that as a test item at Italian restaurants. The eggplant was sliced thin and boiled. A foul tasting red sauce was poured over it. Disgusting!!

Lopez is definitely the best restaurant in The Villages.

Ecuadog 08-08-2017 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 (Post 1433896)
I have to disagree big time on .... I ate there last summer ONE time. Terrible food and terrible service... Disgusting!! ...

I'm sorry, but I have to question big time a review of any restaurant based on a single visit, especially one of exaggerated like or dislike.

Lottoguy 08-08-2017 11:11 PM

If you don't like driving to Nancy Lopez that is okay with us up here in the north end. We love this quiet and less hectic part of The Villages. Probably why there are less homes available in this part of The Villages too.

Carl in Tampa 08-09-2017 12:13 AM

My opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 1433884)
This forum is for the give and take of our opinions so even if one's opinions are obnoxious they are acceptable. I truly understand that. I don't drink so it's hard for me to identify with the timing thing. I would never give up a great restaurant for that reason, at least I think I wouldn't put other people's or my lovely wifes life at risk for a drink. There have been regular advertisements on television that advise to not drink and drive. I've seen on TOTV'S that many people drink and drive in The Villages. I also only drive a Regular Ford not an expensive tank. I wonder if two drinks were consumed during dinner 10 minutes from home and then there was an accident and when all was said and done it took 2 hours to be tested would the drinker be illegal. I dislike seeing anyone get hurt ever especially a homey. I have not hit a horrendous restaurant here yet. A couple bad meals but that's life. Take Care.

I would never accuse a person who I don't know of snobbery, but................ I will just take the original post as a discussion of the tastes and preferences of one poster.

Having lived in New Orleans for several years and having eaten at all of the most famous restaurants in that area, as well as traveling the world and dining with heads of state in many countries, I have learned to appreciate good food, good presentation, and good service.

Living in the northern part of the park, I tend to go most often to Nancy Lopez' and Arnold Palmer's. Perhaps the are not "world class" but they are most certainly quite good, and I enjoy dining at either place.

But, as I have recently mentioned on another thread, I like the food at TooJay's, which is great deli food. Sonny's BBQ is not fine dining, but there are times that it meets my need. I prefer a couple of BBQ places in Central Texas, but that is not an option these days.

In Tampa, my favorite, hands down, for Spanish Style food (not Tex-Mex) is the original Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City. It is presently being operated by the fourth generation of the same family, and the ambiance in this landmark restaurant is remarkable.

For steak in Tampa, Bern's Steakhouse in south Tampa has a reputation for fine food that stretches back over a half a century. They are located in a rambling old wooden structure comprised of many different rooms that are each quite different in decor. An after dinner tour of the kitchen and their extensive wine cellar can be arranged.

These are just a couple of suggestions for those who might find it interesting to venture beyond the bubble for a fine dining experience.

---------------------

On another subject, like Nucky, I don't drink. I never have. But over the course of my career I've locked up a lot of drunks. There have been others that I didn't lock up, but I waited at the scene until the coroner arrived to take them to the Morgue.

:sigh: