Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Sports Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/sports-talk-132/)
-   -   Sports Illustrated names Deion Sanders as Sportsman of the Year! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/sports-talk-132/sports-illustrated-names-deion-sanders-sportsman-year-345860/)

Rainger99 12-04-2023 07:29 AM

Sports Illustrated names Deion Sanders as Sportsman of the Year!

si.com

The award is given to "the athlete or team whose performance that year most embodies the spirit of sportsmanship and achievement."

Caymus 12-04-2023 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2279478)
si.com

The award is given to "the athlete or team whose performance that year most embodies the spirit of sportsmanship and achievement."

Winning not required?

Rainger99 12-04-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caymus (Post 2279479)
Winning not required?

I guess it depends on your definition of achievement.

Caymus 12-04-2023 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2279484)
I guess it depends on your definition of achievement.

So, your answer is, no?

ThirdOfFive 12-04-2023 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caymus (Post 2279479)
Winning not required?

I'd say emphatically no.

Sportsmanship (the dictionary didn't like "sportsPERSONship" is defined as: "fair and generous behavior or treatment of others, especially in a sports contest. Ex: "he displayed great sportsmanship in defeat". The key word being "fair". Winning at all costs can often be the antithesis of sportsmanship. A good example (can't remember the specifics) is the New Orleans Saints putting a "bounty" on opposing players injured. That may have won a game or two but to refer anyone involved in that as "sportsmanlike" would be ludicrous. A player on the other hand who refused to go along with that, especially if he did so publicly, WOULD be exhibiting fair treatment toward an opponent and thus, by definition, be exhibiting the qualities of a "sportsperson".

Rapscallion St Croix 12-04-2023 03:54 PM

He managed to repeat the team's last place finish in their conference and is credited with transforming the football program. Biggest travesty in awards since Halle Berry's Oscar for Monster's Ball.

ithos 12-05-2023 05:12 AM

“We’ve had a great week of practice. We had a couple of fights, which I like,” Sanders said. “It’s a great thing. I always want to know who won because I keep records. I don’t break them up. Some coaches break them up. I don’t. Some guys fight hoping for the break up. No, we’re going to let you go.”

He is a class act.

Deion Sanders Encourages Fights Among Buffaloes Players

PhilG 12-05-2023 09:04 AM

They're selling a magazine. As another commented, this has as much substance as politicians and Nobels.

Salty Dog 12-05-2023 02:25 PM

To some/many, his positive effect on the sport, the school and the community are undeniable...

Rich Iwaszko 12-06-2023 08:39 AM

Awards

Due to TV and the internet....... awards are being given out for who created the most hype.
Awards are no longer for substance but for buzz. Tiger Woods gets the PGA Tour Award this year and millions of dollars. For what!!!! Social media success is now accomplishment.
Different generation, trophies to all.............

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainger99 (Post 2279478)
si.com