Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   Protein activates genes, accelerates aging. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/protein-activates-genes-accelerates-aging-150381/)

Villages PL 04-06-2015 10:19 AM

Protein activates genes, accelerates aging.

Valter Longo, Ph.D. » USC Davis School of Gerontology

Dr. Longo is the director of the University of Southern California's Longevity Institute. In this week's Parade Magazine he was quoted as follows: "Protein, especially from animal sources, activates two sets of genes that accelerate aging."

This is what I was referring to in a recent thread when I said that genes can be turned on and off by lifestyle activity. Eating animal protein is one example of turning on or "activating" genes.

This article went on to say: Those with the highest protein intake have the highest risk for cancer and mortality, as compared with those who consume the least.

gerryann 04-06-2015 10:23 AM

Very interesting.

graciegirl 04-06-2015 10:48 AM

And unless someone has a pretty extensive education into mitosis and biochemistry, all this is fairly confusing. Here is another article from another credible source.

Protein shown to be natural inhibitor of aging in fruit fly model -- ScienceDaily

Villager Joyce 04-06-2015 10:49 AM

Is the protein only "red meat" or does it include fish?

Barefoot 04-06-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages PL (Post 1041104)
Valter Longo, Ph.D. » USC Davis School of Gerontology

Dr. Longo is the director of the University of Southern California's Longevity Institute. In this week's Parade Magazine he was quoted as follows: "Protein, especially from animal sources, activates two sets of genes that accelerate aging."

Sentences can be taken out of context - please link us to the complete article.

graciegirl 04-06-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1041141)

[/QUOTE]

Bonny 04-06-2015 11:02 AM

All I know is I'm having chicken for dinner !! :D

graciegirl 04-06-2015 11:03 AM

VPL you are missing so many incredibly interesting scientific presentations because you won't have a television set. Not a week goes by that I will be seeing something on TV and think to myself that VPL would so enjoy this or that.

Recently you missed a 60 Minutes presentation where the Polio Virus was used to inflame the wall of a brain tumor so that the body's natural defenses could destroy it.

You can read things, but to see the actual tumor and how it went away is something I will not forget.

So many things are right on the brink of being discovered and used in man's fight against disease. I am so glad that I am living to see it.

jimbo2012 04-06-2015 11:04 AM

Do U folks know how to use Google took me 5 seconds

see page 6 or 7

Flame on>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://findlaypublishing.info/tabs/p...ine-weekly.pdf

:mmmm:

dbussone 04-06-2015 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 1041141)

That's right and you never can trust stuff on the Internet to start with according to some posters.

graciegirl 04-06-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo2012 (Post 1041152)
Do U folks know how to use Google took me 5 seconds

see page 6 or 7

Flame on>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://findlaypublishing.info/tabs/p...ine-weekly.pdf

:mmmm:

Thank you for the link. I read it but I can't say I gained any information of scientific value from it. In my opinion it was a sensationalized article about aging that really wasn't even good journalism, let alone good science.

dbussone 04-06-2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1041138)
And unless someone has a pretty extensive education into mitosis and biochemistry, all this is fairly confusing. Here is another article from another credible source.

Protein shown to be natural inhibitor of aging in fruit fly model -- ScienceDaily

Ooh! ScienceDaily vs Parade! Which to believe? Which to believe? Ooh! One link works, the other doesn't. The intrigue is killing me.

jimbo2012 04-06-2015 11:39 AM

With all your degrees and stated research capabilities U can figure it out!

dbussone 04-06-2015 11:44 AM

You betcha I can. And did after the first post. How bout you?

graciegirl 04-06-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo2012 (Post 1041180)
With all your degrees and stated research capabilities U can figure it out!

It is the same ole, same ole, Jimbo. The same ole, same ole. To each his own.

Overselling doesn't change anyone's mind.

It is entirely possible that you and the missus and VPL will be sitting and rocking on the porch of the old folks home chewing on carrots at 135 years of age and we will all be pushing up daisies.

Entirely possible.