Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Laminate Countertops (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/laminate-countertops-338988/)

Dmrocano 02-12-2023 03:09 PM

Laminate Countertops

Hi looking to install luxury laminate countertops in my rental. Seeking recommendation for supplier?
Thank you

retiredguy123 02-12-2023 04:33 PM

Most people who replace countertops, go with granite or quartz. There is really no such thing as "luxury" laminate. Plastic is plastic. A company called Ultimate Granite is one of the largest and best companies. Personally, I would use quartz.

rustyp 02-12-2023 04:40 PM

There was a similar thread in the past "Luxury vinyl flooring".

BrianL99 02-12-2023 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmrocano (Post 2186737)
Hi looking to install luxury laminate countertops in my rental. Seeking recommendation for supplier?
Thank you

Ken: "I'll take Kitchen Decor for $600.

Alex: "Luxury Laminate Countertops"

Ken: "What is an oxymoron"

kkingston57 02-12-2023 10:06 PM

Quote:

Thank you

Go to a new jobsite/new open house. Developer is still selling laminate countertops. 6 months ago we saw them in a 700K new home. Determine who GC contracts with.

Two Bills 02-13-2023 07:31 AM

One red hot pan from the stove on laminate can ruin your day.
Been there, done that!

Catalina36 02-13-2023 07:35 AM

The Home Depot!! Excellent Service and the contractor is great. Can't beat the Home Depot Guarantee. They stand behind all of their work.

Catalina36 02-13-2023 07:38 AM

Granite or Quartz in the kitchen because of hot pots, laminate in the bathrooms, simple no hot pots.
Granite is double the cost of laminate and Quartz is Triple the cost of laminate.

villagetinker 02-13-2023 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catalina36 (Post 2186879)
Granite or Quartz in the kitchen because of hot pots, laminate in the bathrooms, simple no hot pots.
Granite is double the cost of laminate and Quartz is Triple the cost of laminate.

Be very careful of laminate even in the bathrooms, I had about 1 cup of water leak out of a container on the countertop, unfortunately I had not noticed the "sealer" had a slight crack, and the water soaked into the MDF causing it to swell almost 1/8" raising the sink, about $2000 later, we had 3 new counter tops (2 in the master bath, 1 in the guest bath).

Pairadocs 02-13-2023 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2186755)
Most people who replace countertops, go with granite or quartz. There is really no such thing as "luxury" laminate. Plastic is plastic. A company called Ultimate Granite is one of the largest and best companies. Personally, I would use quartz.

Just asking, not trying to draw ire from others, but doesn't granite generate radon, and also call for various chemical polishes and stain removers, etc. ? Seems the laminate we've had in many houses was easy to maintain with soap and water wipe. Just one opinion, but with the experience we've had in several homes, would definitely continue to chose vinyl, but to each their own !

Pairadocs 02-13-2023 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2186871)
One red hot pan from the stove on laminate can ruin your day.
Been there, done that!

Hummm ? Not sure why one would do that (just place a "red" hot pan on a counter of any type, but, have had the experience of inadvertently sitting a pan hot pan (popping corn the old fashioned way...LOL!) down suddenly on my vinyl counter, had no effect on it at all ! Maybe laminates come in different qualities ? We've rented condos at the beach that all seem to have the same, kind of off white counters, and have noticed all kinds of burns, marks, even what looks like cigarette burn marks on them. Never have had anything like that in laminates we've had ? Must have something to do with the quality/grade I guess ?

retiredguy123 02-13-2023 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pairadocs (Post 2187037)
Just asking, not trying to draw ire from others, but doesn't granite generate radon, and also call for various chemical polishes and stain removers, etc. ? Seems the laminate we've had in many houses was easy to maintain with soap and water wipe. Just one opinion, but with the experience we've had in several homes, would definitely continue to chose vinyl, but to each their own !

It is true that granite can emit a small amount of radon gas, but granite countertops have never been linked to any radon health issues. And, placing a hot pot on any countertop is not a good idea and can cause damage. Granite and quartz can crack from the heat. But, granite and quartz are more durable than laminate, and will increase the value of your house. I don't think that most people do any sealing or other regular maintenance on their granite countertops. Some laminate countertops are more attractive than others, but they are all made of plastic and have basically the same lack of durability. I would never replace countertops with laminate, if I could afford to use a stone material. My opinion.

joelfmi 02-14-2023 06:16 AM

Stay away from Laminate top are not used as a very good way to sell a home or buy one.

Bill Dozer 02-14-2023 07:44 AM

Laminate

Quote:

Thank you

Laminate has come quite a distance since we were kids. Go online to find the mfgrs and their installers locally. Armstrong has some impressive products to compete with quartz and granite.

Mellow 02-14-2023 07:51 AM

Laminate countertops

Quote:

Thank you

You might want to invest in granite countertops if you’re renting. Laminate will burn if they put a hot pot on it or if they smoke & they do even though they say they don’t. Also knives cut through laminate if they slice anything without a plate underneath. Been there, done that. I don’t rent anymore.