Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Can we get rid of our money pit lawn? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/can-we-get-rid-our-money-pit-lawn-124379/)

cummingswendy 08-19-2014 10:40 AM

Can we get rid of our money pit lawn?

Has anyone gotten rid of their lawn? I know the rules say you have to maintain 51% sod. I can't stand how much it costs. Any suggestions or experience?

Barefoot 08-19-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cummingswendy (Post 925427)
Has anyone gotten rid of their lawn? I know the rules say you have to maintain 51% sod. I can't stand how much it costs. Any suggestions or experience?

You can rock your lawn if you're in a courtyard villa.

Bogie Shooter 08-19-2014 10:44 AM

You can get rid of 49%.......................:throwtomatoes:

graciegirl 08-19-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

How much do you pay? Cutting is about fifty sixty bucks a month. You MAY have to shop for that price, but it is out there. Fertilization is necessary three four times a year.

Even if you have rocks you have weeds to get rid of.

I think lawns are far less expensive to maintain here than they were at our Ohio house.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 08-19-2014 11:10 AM

I mow and fertilize my own lawn. I cut once a week in the summer, about once a month in the winter and I fertilize about three times a year with weed and feed. If I notice any activity I might put down some insecticide.

I enjoy getting out and getting some exercise and it's fun.

Indydealmaker 08-19-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

How much did you spend on your lawn prior to moving to The Villages?

blueash 08-19-2014 11:53 AM

First post, welcome Cummingswendy. Everyone play nice for a while

graciegirl 08-19-2014 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 925462)

What did you see that was un-nice? I just read the whole thread and I didn't see anything rude.

JB in TV 08-19-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 925462)

It would sure be nice if everyone here played nice all the time!

graciegirl 08-19-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB in TV (Post 925505)
It would sure be nice if everyone here played nice all the time!

Do you see anything mean on this thread? I can't find anything other than just answers to his questions or asking for further info.

ladylake1 08-19-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

My neighbors in Santiago went to some Board to get permission to take up ALL their sod and replace it with pine mulch. It must be possible to do at least where I am.

JB in TV 08-19-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladylake1 (Post 925510)
My neighbors in Santiago went to some Board to get permission to take up ALL their sod and replace it with pine mulch. It must be possible to do at least where I am.

I think it really depends on where you are located, as you mentioned. I would suggest that the OP contact the compliance folks for an accurate answer that pertains to their exact property..

graciegirl 08-19-2014 02:05 PM

One of my favorite things about The Villages is acres and miles of beautiful lawn and gorgeous trees and beautiful flowers. I love it.

Snowbirdtobe 08-19-2014 02:07 PM

Ask the county agent for help in making your lot Florida friendly. Whatever you do contact the county agent before you implement any plan proposed by a landscaper. If the county agent will tell you it's Florida Friendly you should have no trouble with community standards.

travelguy 08-19-2014 05:35 PM

my shrub beds are getting larger and larger, and the sod is being removed and mulch and groundcovers are going in also. since it is not happening all at once i guess no one notices. the grass area will not totally disappear, but it is getting smaller each year.