Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Pickleball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/)
-   -   Wandering on to a court in play (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/pickleball-334/wandering-court-play-264931/)

charmed59 06-03-2018 02:34 PM

Wandering on to a court in play

Is it acceptable for players not in a game to wander behind the players or between the courts during play?

I ask because we often (at least once a match) see pickle ball players wandering onto our tennis courts during a point at those facilities where pickleball and tennis share a short fence. In tennis it’s considered very dangerous, as in tennis we use the area all the way to the fence. But
I’m guessing it would be normal if I wandered onto a pickle ball court to cut through to the tennis courts?

JGVillages 06-03-2018 02:54 PM

Not normal but can happen by accident.

Bogie Shooter 06-03-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charmed59 (Post 1549897)
Is it acceptable for players not in a game to wander behind the players or between the courts during play?

I ask because we often (at least once a match) see pickle ball players wandering onto our tennis courts during a point at those facilities where pickleball and tennis share a short fence. In tennis it’s considered very dangerous, as in tennis we use the area all the way to the fence. But
I’m guessing it would be normal if I wandered onto a pickle ball court to cut through to the tennis courts?

Why don't you discuss this with the wandering players?
What if all the responses here said it was not acceptable....what would you then do?

Marathon Man 06-03-2018 07:23 PM

It is not acceptable. However, it is somewhat common place. What happens is that people are thinking about getting to their destination (usually a court to start a game) and forget to stop and make sure play is not in progress before they cross. Oops.

Mwfontan 06-17-2018 07:05 AM

Actually, what's really happening here is that the pickleball player knows his fellow players would get ****ed if he walked on their court during play. He doesn't know the tennis players, and assumes they are not nearly as serious (after all, tennis is viewed as a minor, inconsequential sport in the villages), therefore no respect for tennis or those playing it. It's not right, but it's the truth.

I've even seen a villages sales associate walk a group of potential buyers onto our active tennis court to watch pickleball!

Taltarzac725 06-17-2018 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwfontan (Post 1553821)
Actually, what's really happening here is that the pickleball player knows his fellow players would get ****ed if he walked on their court during play. He doesn't know the tennis players, and assumes they are not nearly as serious (after all, tennis is viewed as a minor, inconsequential sport in the villages), therefore no respect for tennis or those playing it. It's not right, but it's the truth.

I've even seen a villages sales associate walk a group of potential buyers onto our active tennis court to watch pickleball!

The Villages is Pickleball Paradise

I have a friend who came to the Villages for six weeks as a pickleball instructor. It must be very serious here in the Villages. She is coming from another community here in Florida which has pickleball fever.

Fast Freddy 06-17-2018 09:25 AM

It is very rude to walk across any court when players are set up to play making them wait while you walk across to your destination. Wait until the point completes then walk in Back of the court. I think its called Entitlement.

CFrance 06-17-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mwfontan (Post 1553821)

I would definitely speak up about that. That's just rude.

Topspinmo 07-07-2018 04:25 PM

Depends on If the players are just BSing or point is over. Course if they opened the gate and walked in during a point, then that's inappropriate and dangerous. If you not playing point what difference does it make?

twoplanekid 07-07-2018 04:34 PM

Where I play PB , everyone seems to be very courteous. And , we never step onto the tennis courts and always return their balls as we can’t use them!:icon_wink:

Topspinmo 07-07-2018 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1560229)
Where I play PB , everyone seems to be very courteous. And , we never step onto the tennis courts and always return their balls as we can’t use them!:icon_wink:

Yes, my experience also, occasionally you get newbie that coming in the gate or behind court while play going on. IMO tennis and pickleball courts should be separated. Seasoned tennis players don't like the noise or motion behind courts. some have pickleball courts beside tennis courts (which IMO on bad and Some have the pickleball courts behind the base line with no wind screens, which is odd design, could at least put 6 foot windscreen up on the 9 foot fence separating the courts IMO.