Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Would love to pick and choose TV channels (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/would-love-pick-choose-tv-channels-158635/)

jebartle 07-29-2015 11:28 AM

Would love to pick and choose TV channels

There is so much GARBAGE on TV, why don't they charge per channel instead of per PACKAGE... I know we would be down to a dozen channels that we actually watch (HGTV, History, local channels, Weather, PBS, ESPN, Golf channel and of course Animal channel for the dog,... giggle)

Topspinmo 07-29-2015 11:47 AM

This question came up before. They separate popular channels so you have to buy more packages to get the four or 5 channel that you really like or want. It really sucks for me, I only watch about 6 channels spread out over three packages, so my bill well over 100 bucks. Rest I could care less about or RARELY watch.

Bavarian 07-29-2015 12:33 PM

The cost per channel that way would be very high. Having many channels spreads cost over them some may be very expensive, some cheap of free. Price per channel eliminates that quantity discount.

tomwed 07-29-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1092873)
There is so much GARBAGE on TV, why don't they charge per channel instead of per PACKAGE... I know we would be down to a dozen channels that we actually watch (HGTV, History, local channels, Weather, PBS, ESPN, Golf channel and of course Animal channel for the dog,... giggle)

Have you tried to youtube the particular show that interests you? It may or may not work.

I get Conan that way along with enough golf from the Golf Channel link. Using a Roku I get some PBS shows, CBS news and some History channel. I think Netflix, Adobe [Lightroom and PhotoShop] and now Scribd.com for audiobooks is money well spent [all totaled less then $30]. Netflix has many tv shows you might like too.

I am curious about the other freebies or close to free anyone else has found.

I think if I found an older version of Lightroom for sale I would drop Adobe.

Jima64 07-29-2015 01:17 PM

They split the channels up that are popular to help keep less popular channels on for the many different people. That was the official explanation some years ago.

leftyf 07-29-2015 02:17 PM

I don't like paying for the Spanish channels. There should be 2 packages.

tomwed 07-29-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leftyf (Post 1092947)
I don't like paying for the Spanish channels. There should be 2 packages.

That's hard to Trump.

jebartle 07-29-2015 04:21 PM

Interesting

Thanks Tom, will give it a try!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1092906)
Have you tried to youtube the particular show that interests you? It may or may not work.

I get Conan that way along with enough golf from the Golf Channel link. Using a Roku I get some PBS shows, CBS news and some History channel. I think Netflix, Adobe [Lightroom and PhotoShop] and now Scribd.com for audiobooks is money well spent [all totaled less then $30]. Netflix has many tv shows you might like too.

I am curious about the other freebies or close to free anyone else has found.

I think if I found an older version of Lightroom for sale I would drop Adobe.

Shimpy 07-29-2015 05:21 PM

This way they make more money. They are like the car dealers that sell cars in packages instead of what you want. If you want leather seats you have to pay for sunroof also whether you want it or not.

Bay Kid 07-30-2015 07:32 AM

The only way to sell most of these channels is to put them a package. Nobody will watch them but you must pay for them. With Dish I have 250 channels. This includes HD channels and the same channel not HD. I may watch 20 to 25 channels but pay for 250.

2BNTV 07-30-2015 11:23 AM

A nice idea but it's always about, the money!!! :(

Jima64 07-30-2015 01:45 PM

They bundle them because most of the channels are crap and wouldn't sell otherwise. When they say 250 channls, is that also counting those "wonderful" music channels?

2BNTV 07-30-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jima64 (Post 1093344)
They bundle them because most of the channels are crap and wouldn't sell otherwise. When they say 250 channls, is that also counting those "wonderful" music channels?

DISH has a music channel called "unforgetable" with all of the old time singers, Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Torme, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Billie Holiday etc.......and it plays continuously, with very little breaks, between songs.

I love that channel. :smiley:

Uberschaf 07-30-2015 05:41 PM

NoTV.me Free on the net.

virgind 07-30-2015 06:15 PM

If you have a Ruko take a look at Sling TV I pay 28 dollars for most of the cable channels. You will need a good internet service. Look at it on line