Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Sad news...Leesburg Sonny's closing Sunday. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/sad-news-leesburg-sonnys-closing-sunday-180146/)

jebartle 01-27-2016 01:13 PM

Sad news...Leesburg Sonny's closing Sunday.

Today the "ole boy" had the best best sweet & smokey St. Louis Ribs EVER!
He is a big Oakwoods fan but today was a day he will always remember.
For some reason the Sonny's in Sumter Landing is not the same. They are
closing because they want to have new building in a new location in Leesburg.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 01-27-2016 01:20 PM

I don't know why you say their not the same. I've eaten at both and found the food to be identical.

Bogie Shooter 01-27-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jebartle (Post 1178186)

Is there a developer in Leesburg that charges outrageous rents and will not renew leases,etc.................................:evil6:

Skip 01-27-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Interesting. Lake Sumter Landing location moved from SR 42 across from, what's now, Brownwood. The Leesburg location is one of the busiest stores in the chain, from what I understand. And Leesburg (been there a long time) and Lake Sumter Landing are the same owners. Maybe the profit margins are quite different.

Here we go again with closed restaurants. Let's hope Oakwood moves from Lady Lake or Wildwood to Lake Sumter Landing and replaces Sonny's.

(I said it first!)

Skip

2BNTV 01-27-2016 02:58 PM

A vote for "Oakwood" coming to LSL. :icon_wink:

golf2140 01-27-2016 03:27 PM

The title say's that the Leesburg location is closing. Then the article talks about the Sumter location. Please explain !!

jebartle 01-27-2016 03:28 PM

Hi Dr. Boogie

I'm not the rib person, but the ole boy was smacking his lips today. He said the ribs are meatier, he agrees cooking method identical. Restaurant was definitely in need of renovation and apparently not worth the effort, so they are going to find a better location and start over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 1178192)
I don't know why you say their not the same. I've eaten at both and found the food to be identical.

outlaw 01-27-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1178198)
Is there a developer in Leesburg that charges outrageous rents and will not renew leases,etc.................................:evil6:

Probably a poorly run business with poor customer service....what else could it be?

John_W 01-27-2016 03:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm not the rib person, but the ole boy was smacking his lips today. He said the ribs are meatier, he agrees cooking method identical. Restaurant was definitely in need of renovation and apparently not worth the effort, so they are going to find a better location and start over.
You've told us a lot about Sonny's food, which most villagers already know. In just simple terms, say which location is closing? Lake Sumter or Leesburg?

tomwed 01-27-2016 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_W (Post 1178287)
You've told us a lot about Sonny's food, which most villagers already know. In just simple terms, say which location is closing? Lake Sumter or Leesburg?

Sonny's BBQ to close in Leesburg - Daily Commercial: News

easy peasy

John_W 01-27-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1178311)

Thanks for the heads up with the article:

Here's a small portion “Their franchise agreement was up, and they kind of had to make a decision whether to renew it or not,” Cofer said. “Road reconfigurations in recent years had an impact on it, and there were other reasons behind it, but the franchisees ultimately decided not to renew the franchise agreement for that particular location.”

Bob Evans across the street closed about a year ago. Since they reconfigured the 27/441 split, it makes getting into and out of that area a little difficult. We sometimes stop at the Capt. D's at that intersection, it's great for fast food that's a little different.

I've eaten at the Sonny's in Tavares, about ten miles further on 441, but never at the Leesburg location. I always thought Lake Sumter location was pretty good and the Tavares location was also good. In fact the day we stopped in the Tavares Sonny's they must of had a police convention. We counted 17 police cars in the parking lot. The only restaurant complaint I've had recently was twice we've eaten the lunch special at the new Oakwood in Wildwood, and didn't think it was that good.

kstew43 01-27-2016 04:49 PM

Sonnys in Leesburg is in a bad location....its on a one way, 3 lane highway that connects 2 major roadways and is always crowded.

Thats the only reason I can think of, the food is fabulous....

fishon 01-27-2016 05:17 PM

I like Sonny's in Lake Sumter.
It isn't Texas BBQ, but it's good.
Oakwood has very good pork ribs.
Unfortunately the beef there is mom's roast beef, machine sliced. Really?
No smoke ring. Don't bother. Their sides are good.

I'm a BBQ snob, sorry.
I miss Texas but still love where I'm at.

kcrazorbackfan 01-27-2016 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip (Post 1178233)
Let's hope Oakwood moves from Lady Lake or Wildwood to Lake Sumter Landing and replaces Sonny's.

(I said it first!)

Skip

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 1178257)
A vote for "Oakwood" coming to LSL. :icon_wink:

I prefer anyplace over Oakwood; their pulled pork is "wet" (lathered in sauce) and I prefer "dry" where I can put sauce on it - just my preference, not that anyone else's is wrong. We ate at Woody's in Wildwood last week and it's the best BBQ we've had around here; again, my opinion, not that anyone else is wrong for what they like.

HoosierPa 01-28-2016 11:34 AM

Buy yourself a smoker and put Sonnys and Oakwood to shame !

Quote:

Buy yourself a smoker and put Sonnys and Oakwood to shame !