Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   RIP My Nook (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/rip-my-nook-36928/)

Avista 03-15-2011 02:57 PM

RIP My Nook

My Nook had a terrible accident. Its owner (Me) left her Nook on the car while searching for keys. Then drove away. Nook was found later and had probably been run over. I really loved that Nook!

All is not bad. My husband also has a Nook and has offered to give me his. Hate to take his from him. About the same time I put my order in for the i Pad2. Don't have it yet, but have been exploring the Apple Web site and You Tube Videos on its use as an e-reader. It actually looks pretty good. The iBook ap for books looks wonderful. I can also get the Barnes and Noble Ap and Kindle Ap -- both free. So, if the iPad works well as an e-reader, and I think it will, I will have 3 sources to buy books. Can price check between the 3 and for library books can use my husband's Nook.

The one thing I was concerned about was the back lighting. The tutorial showed how that can be turned very low. We'll see how it compares to e-ink.

Midge538 03-15-2011 03:47 PM

The Ipad works great as an e book reader. The back lighting helps if you read in bed ..... and also .... 'you won't keep him awake.' I'll say a prayer for your nook .. : - ((

graciegirl 03-15-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midge538 (Post 338256)
The Ipad works great as an e book reader. The back lighting helps if you read in bed ..... and also .... 'you won't keep him awake.' I'll say a prayer for your nook .. : - ((

Very sorry about your Nook. Will be sending text messages to the library in his/her memory. My sympathy and hugs to you.

Next door neighbor just bought a Kindle today. I think I am feeling some of that keeping up with the Joneses stuff.

Avista 03-15-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 338259)
Very sorry about your Nook. Will be sending text messages to the library in his/her memory. My sympathy and hugs to you.

Next door neighbor just bought a Kindle today. I think I am feeling some of that keeping up with the Joneses stuff.

Tell your neighbor to Hug her Kindle each day! :)

linandvin 03-15-2011 05:43 PM

So sorry to hear about your Nook. I'm trying to get my hubby a little nook, but he is resisting. Don't know why! I have the IPAD and LOVE it for reading. May you enjoy yours as much. There's plenty of free stuff out there!

eweissenbach 03-15-2011 08:11 PM

Sorry for your loss. I am sure it was a good and kind nook and we can all rejoice for your wonderful memories of it. It is in a better place now!

skyguy79 03-15-2011 08:13 PM

~ Ode To A Nook ~

For your lost friend
Please shed no tear.
There's always hope,
So do not fear!

You might one day,
See your Nook again.
After she's passed thru...
The recycle bin!

Taj44 03-15-2011 08:13 PM

I'd be interested to hear about the backlighting. That is the main reason I did not buy the ipad. Keep us posted.

Pturner 03-15-2011 08:32 PM

Oh Avista,
I'm so sorry to read this. I know how you loved your Nook. :cryin2:

Hope the iPad brings you as much joy. Agree with Taj, please keep us posted on how you like the iPad for reading books.

Sending love and a vitual hug!

LittleDog 03-15-2011 09:28 PM

I have a Kindle but just ordered an Ipad2. My concern about reading on the Ipad is how is it to read in the sun? I have a feeling that the screen washes out in the sun. Not a problem with the Kindle however.

John

JenAjd 03-15-2011 09:51 PM

I have to ask....what's the pros and cons of Nook vs Kindle vs Ipad?? I'm still on the fence on what to get. I have NO idea of costs of any of them..well I do of the Kindle...but that confuses me too. What does the Ipad do besides being a reader and what's the least I could expect to pay for one?? Would LOVE to see a discussion of this here...along with some great answers!! Thanks ahead of time!!

faithfulfrank 03-15-2011 10:24 PM

I was at the Apple store in Buffalo last night and got to play with the ipad2 for awhile. It was awesome. The new smart cover is genius. Amazing.

I also played with the newer 11" macbookAir. I've always missed my old 12" powerbook, so this was neat. My wife is used to our 12 year old G4 imac, so I wanted her to play with a new imac to see if she could adapt to a new one. She thought going from our old 17" to a 21.5 inch was crazy, that the new imac seemed huge to her. She might just like an ipad2 better.....

Anyway, many of us are looking forward to hearing how you like your new ipad2.....keep us posted.

Frank

LoriAnn 03-15-2011 10:35 PM

Pesky battery problem

The primary problem with the iPad as a reader is the battery life. My Kindle will last 3 days without a charge. It's great to use away from home. My iPad has a disappointing battery life at home and is worse away from home when using 3G. I love the iPad but it doesn't replace a kindle if you want to read the day away.

faithfulfrank 03-15-2011 10:59 PM

The ipad2 claims to have up to 10 hours surfing the web, listening to music or watching video, and up to 9 hours doing the same thing via 3g.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Frank

Avista 03-16-2011 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyguy79 (Post 338325)
~ Ode To A Nook ~

For your lost friend
Please shed no tear.
There's always hope,
So do not fear!

You might one day,
See your Nook again.
After she's passed thru...
The recycle bin!

Skyguy, You made my day.!!!!!!!!!!
Now I feel much better!