Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   E-Bikes on bike/walking paths (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/e-bikes-bike-walking-paths-349658/)

MrChip72 04-28-2024 11:22 PM

E-Bikes on bike/walking paths

I own an e-bike, the kind that looks like a moped style motorcycle. Powered by battery, but has pedals and can be fully operated without the battery.

I've seen conflicting information on where I'm allowed to use this. I see regular bicycles that are battery assisted on bike paths everyday. When I've ridden my e-bike on these a handful of times, I've experienced negative reactions from people.

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to avoid driving my fairly small e-bike in the golf cart lane and getting run down by someone in their SUV with diminished vision.

I've been unable to find any clear rules about this when it comes to bike/walking paths. I'm specifically referring to the type south of 44 where they are separate from the MMPs.

LuLinn 04-29-2024 05:41 AM

I don't think there are clear rules. We ebike in the walking paths. We try to be extra considerate of the walkers. We clearly announce "Two safely passing on your left." We then pass at an acceptable speed of around 10 mph. Otherwise, we travel at 15 mph which is slower than the golf carts. We always try to remember, we intimate walkers the way golf carts intimidate us.

Altavia 04-29-2024 06:15 AM

Fyi - There's several previous threads on this topic.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...trails-342136/

roob1 04-29-2024 07:27 AM

Please differentiate between an e-bike and "regular bike that is battery assisted"? I think they are both ebikes....

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChip72 (Post 2326171)
I own an e-bike, the kind that looks like a moped style motorcycle. Powered by battery, but has pedals and can be fully operated without the battery.

I've seen conflicting information on where I'm allowed to use this. I see regular bicycles that are battery assisted on bike paths everyday. When I've ridden my e-bike on these a handful of times, I've experienced negative reactions from people.

Meanwhile, I'm just trying to avoid driving my fairly small e-bike in the golf cart lane and getting run down by someone in their SUV with diminished vision.

I've been unable to find any clear rules about this when it comes to bike/walking paths. I'm specifically referring to the type south of 44 where they are separate from the MMPs.

Bill14564 04-29-2024 07:41 AM

From what I have seen in the Florida statutes, ebikes are considered bicycles for all purposes.

The statutes do allow some local ordinances restricting ebike use but only in limited cases and I haven't ever seen any Sumter, Lake, Leesburg, or Wildwood ordinances cited in these threads.

What isn't clear to me is what differentiates an ebike from a moped. The definition of a moped would seem to describe ebikes too. NOTE: I'm not questioning whether the OP's is an ebike.

vintageogauge 04-29-2024 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuLinn (Post 2326208)
I don't think there are clear rules. We ebike in the walking paths. We try to be extra considerate of the walkers. We clearly announce "Two safely passing on your left." We then pass at an acceptable speed of around 10 mph. Otherwise, we travel at 15 mph which is slower than the golf carts. We always try to remember, we intimate walkers the way golf carts intimidate us.

10 to 15 MPH on a walking path seems a little fast to me, that doesn't leave much time for a walker to react to your coming around them especially if they have a leashed dog to contend with.

kansasr 04-29-2024 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 2326300)
10 to 15 MPH on a walking path seems a little fast to me, that doesn't leave much time for a walker to react to your coming around them especially if they have a leashed dog to contend with.

Most regular bicycles travel at 15-20 mph, so if you're walking facing traffic so you can see what's coming at you, you should have no problems.

bsloan1960 04-29-2024 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vintageogauge (Post 2326300)

We slow down when coming up behind a walker. We give our bell a 'ding' when we are within 50 feet. We have a louder electric horn that we sound when coming out of a tunnel- or when cars and carts pull out in front of us- which they do every time we ride. Every time we ride our bikes in the roundabouts golf carts either don't see us or pretend they don't and they nearly hit us.

vintageogauge 04-29-2024 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsloan1960 (Post 2326366)
We slow down when coming up behind a walker. We give our bell a 'ding' when we are within 50 feet. We have a louder electric horn that we sound when coming out of a tunnel- or when cars and carts pull out in front of us- which they do every time we ride. Every time we ride our bikes in the roundabouts golf carts either don't see us or pretend they don't and they nearly hit us.

I was referring to Lulinn's reply stating that they slow down to 10MPH when passing someone from behind. That is too fast.

onfire 04-29-2024 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2326291)
What isn't clear to me is what differentiates an ebike from a moped.

An e-bike has a maximum 750W motor and needs to meet the classifications.

Class 1: Pedal assist only, up to 20mph
Class 2: Pedal assist or throttle, up to 20mph
Class 3: Pedal assist only, up to 28mph

As the OP stated it has a throttle, to be legal it should not be able to exceed 20mph.

If it does not meet these requirements it is a motor vehicle and not (legally) allowed on any walking / cycling paths, MMP's or diamond lanes but of course there are plenty of "golf cars" that don't meet the legal requirements either.

To the OP's question. If you keep the speed down on these paths and be respectful when passing walkers, I think you'll minimize the negative impressions.

Blueblaze 04-29-2024 11:42 AM

Proper Villager etiquette requires you to scowl at any ebikes, bicycles, or golf carts you may discover using your walking path, and complain loudly on TOV.

And of, course, if you happen to encounter any walkers inconsiderately using your golf cart, bicycle, or ebike path for walking, the opposite etiquette applies!

gorillarick 04-29-2024 12:14 PM

Bikes and golf carts should limit themselves to 20 mph on the MMPs.

That's the speed limit UNLESS posted less, like crossing Morse Blvd (Lake Sumter) bridges and paths marked 10mph. These are very narrow lanes and golf carts have a tough time staying in their lanes at above 10. Slow down.
And often there are very narrow single lane ONEways. Slow down. No passing (Florida state law - minimum 3 feet of clearance between a motorized vehicle from bikes and pedestrians).

Not very often I ride somewhere with bikes and walkers only (like the Hogshead Trail).
When I do, I slow considerably, and assume walkers have the right-of-way.
Only fair.

Yes, if you are driving like a maniac, I can see why walkers would be PO'd.

Just like I'm PO'd when a golf cart passes me like a maniac on the MMPs, way over 20mph.
It is not your personal race track. Needs to be more policing yeah the maniac-inconsiderate will love that one .

charlie1 04-29-2024 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onfire (Post 2326393)

As the OP stated it has a throttle, to be legal it should not be able to exceed 20mph.

If it does not meet these requirements it is a motor vehicle and not (legally) allowed on any walking / cycling paths, MMP's or diamond lanes but of course there are plenty of "golf cars" that don't meet the legal requirements either.

To the OP's question. If you keep the speed down on these paths and be respectful when passing walkers, I think you'll minimize the negative impressions.

I was told to be considered a "bike" and be able to follow the bike rules, it had to be pedal assist. If it does not REQUIRE pedal assist to operate, it is not considered a bike under the Florida Statue. Without requiring pedaling, it falls into the definition of a scooter which are not allowed on bike paths.

Bill14564 04-29-2024 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie1 (Post 2326429)
I was told to be considered a "bike" and be able to follow the bike rules, it had to be pedal assist. If it does not REQUIRE pedal assist to operate, it is not considered a bike under the Florida Statue. Without requiring pedaling, it falls into the definition of a scooter which are not allowed on bike paths.

You were told wrong.

The classes listed are from the definition of an ebike in the Florida statutes. Class 2 does NOT REQUIRE pedal assist yet is still considered an ebike in Florida.

Bill14564 04-29-2024 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onfire (Post 2326393)

Yes, that is a summary of the Florida definition of the classes of ebiks.

My question was how is a moped not an ebike? Perhaps an electric drive system makes it an ebike while a gasoline engine would make it a moped but that wasn't clear to me.