Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Baseball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/baseball-330/)
-   -   Looks like baseball is returning (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/baseball-330/looks-like-baseball-returning-308125/)

BlackhawksFan 06-23-2020 09:19 AM

Looks like baseball is returning

The MLBPA and the owners couldn't come to a modified agreement so MLB has mandated the start of a 60 game season based on the March 26 agreement between the sides. As long as the players can be ready for camp July 1 and and agree to the medical procedures regarding Covid-19 the game will return the weekend of July 24-26.

Are you excited for the return?

Disappointed in one side or both with how this played out?

Do you plan on watching?

Marvic 1 06-23-2020 10:34 AM

Sure, but once ONE takes a knee I'm out..... ;)

retiredguy123 06-23-2020 11:47 AM

I never watch baseball because it's boring. I'm not sure if that means that I "refuse" to watch it. I just don't like it.

Two Bills 06-23-2020 11:56 AM

Many top men tennis stars are now out of the game with the virus, after just a couple of tournaments.
May be a short season for baseball as well.
Golf is duff without spectators, and UK soccer even worse.
Absolutely no atmosphere.
All or nothing is my vote!

DeanFL 06-23-2020 12:17 PM

NOPE, bunch of 'prima donnas' - like many pro atheletes. Demanding mega millions to play games. I don't add to the $$$ kitty by attending pro games of any kind. Tickets&concessions are outrageous.

Baseball on TV, OMG - long and boring. The negotiations with Owners/Union is still far apart. As far as I'm concerned, end the season before beginning. Too bad the low-paid team staff, ballfield staff, and concession folks are so impacted.

Only sport I'm interested on watching on TV, pro football. And golf. period.

yawn.

Two Bills 06-23-2020 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=DeanFL;1790311].
NOPE, bunch of 'prima donnas' - like many pro atheletes. Demanding mega millions to play games. I don't add to the $$$ kitty by attending pro games of any kind. Tickets&concessions are outrageous.

Baseball on TV, OMG - long and boring. The negotiations with Owners/Union is still far apart. As far as I'm concerned, end the season before beginning. Too bad the low-paid team staff, ballfield staff, and concession folks are so impacted.

Only sport I'm interested on watching on TV, pro football. And golf. period.

.......and they are so underpaid!:icon_wink:

Michael Charles 06-23-2020 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=Two Bills;1790366]
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanFL (Post 1790311)

NOPE, bunch of 'prima donnas' - like many pro atheletes. Demanding mega millions to play games. I don't add to the $$$ kitty by attending pro games of any kind.

The negotiations with Owners/Union is still far apart.

It's simple finance.

Why should the owners keep all of the revenue that the players (entertainers) on the field create for ownership?

The owners put a product on the field for us the consumer/fans to be entertained.

The entertainers will only work if they feel they're getting a good portion of the revenues that they produce.

When I worked I negotiated the terms with my employer.

Play ball I say but I won't be watching.

davem4616 06-23-2020 02:23 PM

The only time I watch MLB is when my home town team is in the World Series...other than that, for me it's like watching grass grow...
disappointing that the player's union and the owners couldn't come to terms....this isn't rocket science....owners are making a bundle and the players collect huge salaries for playing a kids game

let go of the greed and "play ball!!!"

collector0915 06-23-2020 03:32 PM

Staying healthy in this pandemic is the number one consideration for all of us. I wonder what plan and regimen the Owners/Players can come up with to eliminate COVID-19 concerns. It's a shame that both sides could not come to an agreement on the number of games to play, salaries and/or revenue sharing, playoff format, etc. prior to the Commissioner making the final decision. For me baseball is the number one sport so I plan to watch on TV but would not attend a game this year even if able to.

Stu from NYC 06-23-2020 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=Michael Charles;1790402]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1790366)

It's simple finance.

Why should the owners keep all of the revenue that the players (entertainers) on the field create for ownership?

The owners put a product on the field for us the consumer/fans to be entertained.

The entertainers will only work if they feel they're getting a good portion of the revenues that they produce.

When I worked I negotiated the terms with my employer.

Play ball I say but I won't be watching.

The problem is the stands apparently will be empty so the owners will be denied the revenue for the game and probably parking and concessions depending upon their contract with who owns the stadium.

They should be trying harder to work out a solution to their differences and yes will be watching when my NY teams play.

Dilligas 06-24-2020 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan (Post 1790131)
The MLBPA and the owners couldn't come to a modified agreement so MLB has mandated the start of a 60 game season based on the March 26 agreement between the sides. As long as the players can be ready for camp July 1 and and agree to the medical procedures regarding Covid-19 the game will return the weekend of July 24-26.

Do you plan on watching?

Who cares?? MLB players are the greediest cry babies of all pro athletes.

Bay Kid 06-24-2020 06:54 AM

What will the players do? Can't spit, touch a base w/their hands, or lick their balls. Will they still be able to scratch?

rjn5656 06-24-2020 06:58 AM

I don't care. Haven't missed them.

Joyce952 06-24-2020 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan (Post 1790131)

Do you plan on watching?

Disappointed, they seem so greedy to me

greenflash245 06-24-2020 08:00 AM

can't wait!!!!!