Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Television (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/)
-   -   Highly recommend Netflix 4-part series (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-television-338/highly-recommend-netflix-4-part-series-345224/)

Tvflguy 11-05-2023 12:13 PM

Highly recommend Netflix 4-part series

“All The Light We Cannot See”

A four part (1hour each part) Netflix series. Based on a novel, in France during WWII. Very well produced with wonderful acting. We highly recommend.

——————-
The four-episode limited series follows Marie-Laure (Aria Mia Loberti), a blind French girl, and her father, Daniel LeBlanc (Mark Ruffalo), as they flee German-occupied Paris while guarding a legendary diamond that they must keep from falling into the hands of the Nazis. Relentlessly pursued by a cruel Gestapo officer who wants the stone for his own selfish means, Marie-Laure and Daniel find refuge in Saint-Malo, where they take up residence with a reclusive uncle, Etienne (Hugh Laurie), who transmits clandestine radio broadcasts as part of the resistance

bsloan1960 11-05-2023 12:59 PM

The book was very good.

Bill14564 11-05-2023 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvflguy (Post 2271578)

A four part (1hour each part) Netflix series. Based on a novel, in France during WWII. Very well produced with wonderful acting. We highly recommend.

——————-
The four-episode limited series follows Marie-Laure (Aria Mia Loberti), a blind French girl, and her father, Daniel LeBlanc (Mark Ruffalo), as they flee German-occupied Paris while guarding a legendary diamond that they must keep from falling into the hands of the Nazis. Relentlessly pursued by a cruel Gestapo officer who wants the stone for his own selfish means, Marie-Laure and Daniel find refuge in Saint-Malo, where they take up residence with a reclusive uncle, Etienne (Hugh Laurie), who transmits clandestine radio broadcasts as part of the resistance

Thank you. I wasn't sure about this but have now added it to my list.

Byte1 11-05-2023 03:57 PM

We watched it in one sitting and liked it VERY much. Enjoyed seeing "Dr.House" in this picture too.

Robbb 11-06-2023 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tvflguy (Post 2271578)

——————-

Watching it now, ungodly slow. Its a 45 minute story painfully dragged out for 4 hours.

Tvflguy 11-06-2023 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbb (Post 2271887)
Watching it now, ungodly slow. Its a 45 minute story painfully dragged out for 4 hours.

Later in the first episode I thought so too. But then I realized that this was not a 90 minute fast paced movie. Then it became apparent there was so much depth to this story, one that needs to be enjoyed as sipping fine wine.

I’m a “ slam-bam” type of person, but after my revelation I sat back and allowed the story to unfold.

It may not be for all viewers but really hit me. I still think about it often.

Pugchief 11-06-2023 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbb (Post 2271887)

Completely disagree, I found the story engaging and 45 minutes would not have done it justice. I was able to watch it after dinner without falling asleep, so it was good.

Smalley 11-06-2023 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pugchief (Post 2271949)
Completely disagree, I found the story engaging and 45 minutes would not have done it justice. I was able to watch it after dinner without falling asleep, so it was good.

Thanks for passing on this recommendation. I have been counseled to read the book first and then watch the series. I was told both are very worth while.

shaw8700@outlook.com 11-06-2023 09:29 PM

I’m in the middle of it - hope the gestapo don’t find her!

Doctor Who 11-06-2023 10:34 PM

Alternatives

Should have watched the JETS game.

75090BAR 11-07-2023 07:39 AM

All The Light...

I read the book a few years ago and gave it rave reviews. I was happy to learn the movie had come out, based on the book. I watched two episodes in one night and realized it was just too intense for me. Reading about the terror the Nazi regime inflicted and watching it on the screen makes for a very different personal experience.

NoMo50 11-07-2023 07:56 AM

I thought the 4-part series was extremely good. The acting and direction were top notch. This series is definitely worth investing 4 hours of your time to watch.

Stu from NYC 11-07-2023 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doctor Who (Post 2272009)
Should have watched the JETS game.

I started watching and gave up. Sad offense

meme5x 11-07-2023 11:11 AM

I happened to think it was great…liked the limited series where it doesn’t go on forever.. I give it a 5 star rating!

Heytubes 11-07-2023 11:27 AM

I enjoyed it, but it is not a true story. Netflix did a 10 part true story about the family that protected Ann Frank’s family. It centers around a woman that was in the family. Really can open your eyes about the sacrifices and risk’s people took for strangers during that time.