Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Cell phone service (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/cell-phone-service-99781/)

Knitter 01-02-2014 12:07 AM

Cell phone service

Terrible cell phone service south of 466A. I called my carrier and the customer service rep agreed that I had a lot of dropped calls. They are giving me credit for for this problem. I would rather have better service, so maybe if everyone having trouble would call their carrier, we might get better service.

graciegirl 01-02-2014 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knitter (Post 804769)
Terrible cell phone service south of 466A. I called my carrier and the customer service rep agreed that I had a lot of dropped calls. They are giving me credit for for this problem. I would rather have better service, so maybe if everyone having trouble would call their carrier, we might get better service.

I am guessing which carrier. Tell us. One in particular has been really bad all over The Villages. We switched to Verizon a couple of years ago and don't have that problem.

But we live near 466.

kwtoman 01-02-2014 07:32 AM

Verizon is so reliable in TV that I am going with them for home phone and Internet services.

dewilson58 01-02-2014 08:27 AM

Verizon all the way

Villageswimmer 01-02-2014 08:37 AM

I almost switched for the same reason, but then remembered most of our family is with ATT so I decided to live with it. Most of the time it's ok. Sometimes we need to go out on the lanai for good reception.

gomoho 01-02-2014 08:47 AM

Verizon does not provide a good signal in my section of Hadley. Lots of dropped calls and always moving around the house trying to pick up a signal.

howardandsheila 01-02-2014 08:55 AM

I have very good reception with Verizon in Charlotte. Until we had Bright House installed, I used by Verizon Iphone hotspot for my laptop connection. Never had a problem.

laceylady 01-02-2014 12:12 PM

Verizon service is very poor in Sanibel south of Pinellas. Calls drop constantly unless I stand on my front lawn. Verizon wants is to buy a network extender for $200. They told me we are in a "marginal" reception area.

Love2cruise 01-02-2014 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laceylady (Post 804947)
Verizon service is very poor in Sanibel south of Pinellas. Calls drop constantly unless I stand on my front lawn. Verizon wants is to buy a network extender for $200. They told me we are in a "marginal" reception area.

We have had verizon for years without a problem - until we moved here, we are in Sanibel & we are always dropping calls, my husband with his iPhone 4 more so than me with my droid. I agree with another poster that we should all keep calling verizon and complaining, maybe they will do something about it.

CFrance 01-02-2014 12:44 PM

We have absolutely no problem anywhere down here with Sprint. In MI we did, but they provided the extender at no cost. You should not have to pay for one. It's not your fault; it's the cell company's fault.

Our guy at the Sprint store in MI told us to call customer service and don't get off the phone till you get what you want. Their customer service reps are told not to hang up until the customer is satisfied. Maybe that would work with AT&T. Ask to talk to a supervisor.

cherylncliff 01-02-2014 01:00 PM

We have Sprint and get virtually no signal in Buttonwood. After many many hours on the phone including having to stand outside in a thunderstorm to avoid a dropped call after I finally got a supervisor, they finally sent me an Airave (mini cell tower) for the house. It works about half the time but even with that we still frequently have dropped calls. Based on other posts on TOTV, all the major providers seem to have bad spots around TV. I will comment that even when we have a strong 3G signal with Sprint, our data service is still very slow. We are considering switching to Verizon once our contract expires.

LianaB 01-02-2014 01:02 PM

I have poor service with AT&T in Pinellas... and I just signed a new 2 yr contract in November before moving here.

chili557 01-02-2014 04:42 PM

Unless you really need all the bells and whistles on your phone.Tracfone is the way to go. I have had this since moving to The Villages and never have a problem sending or receiving calls in any area. Only costs about $110 a year.

Pat Reilly 01-02-2014 07:12 PM

Cell Phone Service

We lived on Corbett Dr in the Village of Amelia and never had a problem with our Verizon service. We recently moved one mile to Arbella Loop also in the village of Amelia and we get dropped calls all the time..unless I stand outside with my Iphone..my husband has a Droid and his phone doesn't get that many dropped calls.
I spoke to a few of the neighbors and they have the same problem seems we are in a "low" spot on the Loop..one of the men mentioned to me that maybe a "repeator" would help and to call Verizon about installing one. Verizon also told us to get an "enhancer" but one of the neighbors did and it didn't do any good. We really don't want to add a house phone but we may have no choice very annoying when people keep saying "your breaking up..I can't hear you..then the call drops!!!
Joining forces may help get Verizon to do something..add another tower??