Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Uninsured Motorist Auto Coverage (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/uninsured-motorist-auto-coverage-349771/)

Michael G. 05-02-2024 09:45 AM

Uninsured Motorist Auto Coverage

Are you over paying for uninsured motorist coverage on your auto insurance when you Medical Advantage Insurance plan covers you in a auto accident?

dewilson58 05-02-2024 11:40 AM

Here's 50 posts to chew on:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...sured+motorist

Michael G. 05-02-2024 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2327528)

Thanks
I do remember reading this some time back.
Trouble is, now I'm really confused. :duck:

LLJorgs 05-02-2024 05:58 PM

I don’t think so. Medicare or Advantage plans still have things they will not pay for. Some example you might have copays/coinsurance for ER or hospital stays, max out of pocket deductible, ambulance or medivac if needed, possible dental etc. After going through the plan thoroughly, decided worth the extra coverage especially given the high number of underinsured or not insured on the roads.

retiredguy123 05-02-2024 07:44 PM

I have read and I fully understand what uninsured motorist insurance covers and what it does not cover. It is mostly, but not completely, redundant with my health insurance. In my situation, I would never file a claim for this insurance, so, to me, it would be a waste of money. For the expenses that it covers, I can afford to self insure. So, I choose to not pay for it and save a few hundred dollars. I would suggest that everyone research and understand what you are paying for because most people I have discussed this with do not understand the coverage. Good luck.

Aces4 05-02-2024 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2327649)
I have read and I fully understand what uninsured motorist insurance covers and what it does not cover. It is mostly, but not completely, redundant with my health insurance. In my situation, I would never file a claim for this insurance, so, to me, it would be a waste of money. For the expenses that it covers, I can afford to self insure. So, I choose to not pay for it and save a few hundred dollars. I would suggest that everyone research and understand what you are paying for because most people I have discussed this with do not understand the coverage. Good luck.

OP, this is one person's take on UM. Please read the other thread and decide after thoroughly discussing this coverage with your agent. It all depends on how much exposure you can bear financially.

n8xwb 05-03-2024 07:33 AM

I agree (and do not carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage). I do believe, however, that if you check, you will find that if you were seriously injured and you carried said coverage you can sue for damages other than purely medical reimbursement AND since the other motorist has no coverage, your own insurance will pay -- hence you would be in fact suing yourself (successfully) for additional monetary compensation.

retiredguy123 05-03-2024 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n8xwb (Post 2327734)
I agree (and do not carry uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage). I do believe, however, that if you check, you will find that if you were seriously injured and you carried said coverage you can sue for damages other than purely medical reimbursement AND since the other motorist has no coverage, your own insurance will pay -- hence you would be in fact suing yourself (successfully) for additional monetary compensation.

I agree and I do understand the UM coverage. But, I am not interested in paying a premium so I can sue myself. Also, when you sue yourself, the maximum payout is limited to the the coverage limit that you pay for. Most insurance companies will only allow UM coverage up to $300K, which is not enough to hire a good lawyer, who would take 40 percent of the settlement anyway.

kingofbeer 05-03-2024 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2327745)
I agree and I do understand the UM coverage. But, I am not interested in paying a premium so I can sue myself. Also, when you sue yourself, the maximum payout is limited to the the coverage limit that you pay for. Most insurance companies will only allow UM coverage up to $300K, which is not enough to hire a good lawyer, who would take 40 percent of the settlement anyway.

This covers both uninsured and underinsured motorists. I always laugh when I hear someone is self-insured. I will always have uninsured motorist coverage.

kingofbeer 05-03-2024 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2327745)

The lawyers will sue the other motorist and will try to extract every penny from them or their company or anyone else who may be responsible.

retiredguy123 05-03-2024 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofbeer (Post 2327762)
The lawyers will sue the other motorist and will try to extract every penny from them or their company or anyone else who may be responsible.

You don't need uninsured motorist insurance to sue the other motorist.

gatorbill1 05-03-2024 08:35 AM

Florida has a lot of uninsured motorists

kingofbeer 05-03-2024 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2327770)
You don't need uninsured motorist insurance to sue the other motorist.

Do what you want to do. The average person does not understand, why they should have this coverage. I suspect they see the large premium cost and say I don't need that.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage in Florida: The Truth About Uninsured Motorist Coverage

retiredguy123 05-03-2024 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofbeer (Post 2327880)
Do what you want to do. The average person does not understand, why they should have this coverage. I suspect they see the large premium cost and say I don't need that.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage in Florida: The Truth About Uninsured Motorist Coverage

I suspect that most of the approved UM claims are for medical treatment for people under 65 who do not have adequate health insurance. So, if you have excellent health insurance, the UM premium would mostly be used to subsidize people who don't. In my opinion, that is not a good deal.

My insurance agent admitted to me that, in order to be paid for "pain and suffering" or a long term illiness, I would need to hire a lawyer and sue the insurance company. Also, not a good deal because the lawyer would take 30 to 40 percent of any settlement as a fee. That is why I self insure.

Aces4 05-03-2024 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2327884)
I suspect that most of the approved UM claims are for medical treatment for people under 65 who do not have adequate health insurance. So, if you have excellent health insurance, the UM premium would mostly be used to subsidize people who don't. In my opinion, that is not a good deal.

My insurance agent admitted to me that, in order to be paid for "pain and suffering" or a long term illiness, I would need to hire a lawyer and sue the insurance company. Also, not a good deal because the lawyer would take 30 to 40 percent of any settlement as a fee. That is why I self insure.

Yes, it's so worthless that 20 states or more insist insurance companies must provide this coverages to insureds. After all law makers are just trying to enrich insurance agencies that probable don't want to be on the hook for it anyway.

Self insure, that's a joke unless you have an extra million to cover your butt. Your not covering a $3,000. root canal with self insurance in a car accident.