Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Annual airconditioner/heat check up (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/annual-airconditioner-heat-check-up-158543/)

billethkid 07-27-2015 04:32 PM

Annual airconditioner/heat check up

I have had an annual check up done every year for the 11 past eleven years.

Does anybody else do it religiously?

It runs around $140 with a new filter each time.

Also would like to hear from those who have never had it done.

mtdjed 07-27-2015 05:52 PM

I have had the annual inspection done yearly. It was a requirement when I bought the house to maintain the original 5 year warranty. It again was a requirement when I renewed the warranty for years 5 thru 10.

At this stage of my life and living in Florida, I want to minimize my discomforts. Although, I still have had problems (Two and one half day outage this year), I emphasize minimize.

applesoffh 07-27-2015 06:19 PM

I've been here 3 1/2 years in a new build. I have my a/c checked yearly. In addition, I flush out the pipe with warm water monthly, as instructed, and change my filter quarterly, due to all the dust from ongoing construction on the south of 466A. The last thing I want is down time on my a/c unit.

bobbym 07-27-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1092217)

It runs around $140 with a new filter each time.

Also would like to hear from those who have never had it done.

I hope you change your air filter more often then once a year. In AC school they said change the air filter every month but that was before we had Hepa filters at $20 each. It’s a good idea to clean out your condensing unit (the thing outside) every year and flush out the condensate line from you’re a-coil (The thing in the house) at that time. During the cooling season pour 1/4 cup of biocide or white vinegar threw your condensate drain line to kill any slime growing in the line. Do this every few months. If that drain line plugs up you will have a wet mess followed by black mold and a big cleanup bill. If you commit your self to this you can save some money but if you forget and let it go then you will find that $140 a year is cheaper.

CFrance 07-27-2015 08:14 PM

We have ours serviced twice a year. So far (new house in 2011) we have had to have two major repairs. Both cost us nothing, except yearly the cost of the maintenance fee.

I would not want to lose our a/c.

Ecuadog 07-27-2015 09:27 PM

Annual cleaning and check-up every spring, $55. I change the filters myself (Filtrete 1900 @ $13 each now), every 3 months.

kaydee 07-27-2015 10:11 PM

Every yr for 15 yrs we have it serviced. We do 1 cup white vinegar every month & change filters regularly. I believe we pay $65 for annual service. Still going strong with same unit knock on wood

dewilson58 07-28-2015 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1092217)

Yep

Madelaine Amee 07-28-2015 08:17 AM

We do it every year. Wash off permanent filter every month. Need my AC or I am out of here!

leftyf 07-28-2015 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbym (Post 1092262)
I hope you change your air filter more often then once a year. In AC school they said change the air filter every month but that was before we had Hepa filters at $20 each. It’s a good idea to clean out your condensing unit (the thing outside) every year and flush out the condensate line from you’re a-coil (The thing in the house) at that time. During the cooling season pour 1/4 cup of biocide or white vinegar threw your condensate drain line to kill any slime growing in the line. Do this every few months. If that drain line plugs up you will have a wet mess followed by black mold and a big cleanup bill. If you commit your self to this you can save some money but if you forget and let it go then you will find that $140 a year is cheaper.

One of my neighbors just had his drain line plug. The water got under his laminate flooring and destroyed the whole floor. It didn't run on the top of the floor, just went underneath. He is replacing about 1,000 sq ft of laminate.