Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   LED Headlights (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/led-headlights-314464/)

laboutj 12-30-2020 08:44 AM

LED Headlights

For anyone that changed over their Yamaha cart halogen headlights to LED headlights, was it worth making the change? Were they that much brighter? TIA

dewilson58 12-30-2020 09:08 AM

My "newer" ride has LED headlights.....love them.

I installed a LED light bar on my "older" cart.
Great improvement.
BUT......properly aim the bar & put a separate switch on it so you can dim with on-coming traffic.

There are so many bonehead with light bars and they never dim for on-coming traffic.
LED is not needed with traffic.

:ho:

laboutj 12-30-2020 09:17 AM

Thanks, I normally don't have an issue with the halogen headlights. Only place it's been an issue so far is on the MMP heading towards Lake Deaton plaza, past the entrance to Osceola. It's dark in that area and if there are no cars on Morse it's really dark.

tophcfa 12-30-2020 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laboutj (Post 1879598)
For anyone that changed over their Yamaha cart halogen headlights to LED headlights, was it worth making the change? Were they that much brighter? TIA

Well worth it, not only better visibility but they draw almost no juice from your battery. Before I had LED’s, the lights would dim when the cart was stopped and brighten when the motor/alternator was engaged. Also, when the lights were on, the current draw would heat up the light switch, but not with LED’s. As Dewi pointed out, just make sure the LED’s are not pointed such that they are blinding to drivers passing in the other direction.

laboutj 12-30-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 1879650)
Well worth it, not only better visibility but they draw almost no juice from your battery. Before I had LED’s, the lights would dim when the cart was stopped and brighten when the motor/alternator was engaged. Also, when the lights were on, the current draw would heat up the light switch, but not with LED’s. As Dewi pointed out, just make sure the LED’s are not pointed such that they are blinding to drivers passing in the other direction.

I notice this on my cart as well, headlight switch gets really hot.

tophcfa 12-30-2020 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laboutj (Post 1879670)
I notice this on my cart as well, headlight switch gets really hot.

My Yamaha is a 2014. I think they put in a switch designed for LED’s but did not install LED lights. I used to joke that the switch made a great hand warmer, but it no longer gets hot with the LED’s.

laboutj 12-30-2020 09:51 AM

Ha, mine is a 2014 as well. Looks like I'll be shopping for some headlights and a light bar.

dewilson58 12-30-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laboutj (Post 1879646)
Thanks, I normally don't have an issue with the halogen headlights. Only place it's been an issue so far is on the MMP heading towards Lake Deaton plaza, past the entrance to Osceola. It's dark in that area and if there are no cars on Morse it's really dark.

Light bars are available at Walmart if you are a doing. Otherwise I thought The Villages cart shop was reasonable.

laboutj 12-30-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1879704)
Light bars are available at Walmart if you are a doing. Otherwise I thought The Villages cart shop was reasonable.

Hadn't even thought about Walmart for the light bar, just assumed I'd be purchasing on Amazonhttps://d32rzbb554tqz0.cloudfront.net/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif. And I plan on doing both installs myself, but thanks for the heads up on the Villages cart shop.

dewilson58 12-30-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laboutj (Post 1879740)
Hadn't even thought about Walmart for the light bar, just assumed I'd be purchasing on Amazonhttps://d32rzbb554tqz0.cloudfront.net/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif. And I plan on doing both installs myself, but thanks for the heads up on the Villages cart shop.

Walmart even had a three foot bar................you could raise hell with that one.
:MOJE_whot:

karostay 12-30-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1879631)

Great improvement.
BUT......properly aim the bar & put a separate switch on it so you can dim with on-coming traffic.

There are so many bonehead with light bars and they never dim for on coming traffic.

Sadly your efforts to educate fellow golf cart owners about on coming cart with led's will fall on deaf ears

b0bd0herty 12-31-2020 05:51 AM

Quote:

Great improvement.

There are so many bonehead with light bars and they never dim for on-coming traffic.

Agree with the switch. You're one of the (apparently) few responsible people who are considerate of others. Thank you.

Mrmean58 12-31-2020 06:13 AM

Quote:

Great improvement.

Or you can upgrade to an LED headlight kit that includes high and low beams just like an auto

Jerry Leinsing 12-31-2020 06:41 AM

Change headlights to LED

Yes. Cooler, less amps, plenty of light. I paid about $190 @ Brownwood and kept the original lights.

photo1902 12-31-2020 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrmean58 (Post 1880049)
Or you can upgrade to an LED headlight kit that includes high and low beams just like an auto

I have those and find the difference negligible between high and low.