Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Championship Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/)
-   -   Palmer Legends Golf Conditions disappointing today Thursday March 14,2024 (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/palmer-legends-golf-conditions-disappointing-today-thursday-march-14-2024-a-348513/)

Golden Domer 03-14-2024 11:27 AM

Palmer Legends Golf Conditions disappointing today Thursday March 14,2024

The Palmer Course has lost its long held reputation as one of the best courses to play in the Villages.

Today the greens were at best a C-, most had bare (disease spots) and have had light sand applied recently. If you look closely many areas need some care and attention..... from tee boxes ti fairways..... its past .... its glory days it seems.

Need more attention everyday by course management.....

waynet 03-14-2024 11:42 AM

It's really too bad what they did to Riley. Over watered turned greens into mud . The people who are in charge of the course should be fired.

UpNorth 03-14-2024 04:15 PM

Didn't you read the front page headline in today's Daily Sun about The Villages "pristine" (!) golf courses? ;0

BrianL99 03-14-2024 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynet (Post 2310993)
It's really too bad what they did to Riley. Over watered turned greens into mud . The people who are in charge of the course should be fired.

Where did that information come from?

BrianL99 03-14-2024 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Domer (Post 2310986)
The Palmer Course has lost its long held reputation as one of the best courses to play in the Villages.

Today the greens were at best a C-, most had bare (disease spots) and have had light sand applied recently. If you look closely many areas need some care and attention..... from tee boxes ti fairways..... its past .... its glory days it seems.

Laurel Valley greens are better than most in The Villages and have been, for the last 2 weeks. A little slower than I prefer, but excellent putting surfaces.

I believe Riley Groves greens are diseased, but they have been improving over the last 10 days.

Cherry's are old and not in great condition.

dewilson58 03-14-2024 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2311112)
Where did that information come from?

Someone's ying yang

Miboater 03-14-2024 05:26 PM

I just finished playing there and they were not as bad as I was expecting. Riley Grove was much better than Cherry Hill but both need a few weeks of good weather.

I don't know how true this is but the starter said they were closing Cherry Hill in two weeks.

BrianL99 03-14-2024 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miboater (Post 2311119)
I just finished playing there and they were not as bad as I was expecting. Riley Grove was much better than Cherry Hill but both need a few weeks of good weather.

I don't know how true this is but the starter said they were closing Cherry Hill in two weeks.

I don't know the date, but it's Cherry Hills' turn for renovation. Laurel was last year, Riley the year before. It usually happens the end of April.

kcrazorbackfan 03-14-2024 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Domer (Post 2310986)

Hmm, I stopped by there today to purchase a shirt and the golf shop was full of people checking in to play; probably common folk that does not have your expectations.

tophcfa 03-14-2024 09:00 PM

Played Laurel to Riley last Monday and the greens on Laurel were great. The greens on Riley were not nearly as good, they appear to have some sort of turf disease. Some greens were better than others, but the ones on the last 4 holes playing along Lake Sumter had large patches of bumpy dirt with no grass and were very difficult to put across if they were in your line. Certainly not what one would expect from greens that were just completely renovated during last years growing season. Hopefully they can be fixed soon now that we are coming out of the difficult winter season.

sdeikenberry 03-15-2024 04:18 AM

MY golf group played Laurel to Riley two days ago and we found Laurel in very good condition although the greens a bit slow. Riley has a few greens sanded...probably all of them by now...and there were some spots that were bad on some greens. Otherwise a good experience. It really seems unfair to our group that golf administration can tell us their plugging schedule but cannot tell us when they slit and sand the greens. We've asked them and they claim it doesn't affect play...yeah, right...maybe for them but for all of us it does. We think we should be able to avoid sanded and slitted greens and they should tell us when they're doing that...but apparently it doesn't affect play.

Rwirish 03-15-2024 05:00 AM

This can not be true. I just read in the Daily Sun that the golf courses are Pristine.

waynet 03-15-2024 05:47 AM

My information came from another greenskeeper at a different golf course. No names do not want to get him in trouble.

golfing eagles 03-15-2024 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophcfa (Post 2311158)
Played Laurel to Riley last Monday and the greens on Laurel were great. The greens on Riley were not nearly as good, they appear to have some sort of turf disease. Some greens were better than others, but the ones on the last 4 holes playing along Lake Sumter had large patches of bumpy dirt with no grass and were very difficult to put across if they were in your line. Certainly not what one would expect from greens that were just completely renovated during last years growing season. Hopefully they can be fixed soon now that we are coming out of the difficult winter season.

The sad part is that I played laurel literally 3 hours after it re-opened post renovation. Already, there were a few dozen unrepaired ball marks and unfilled divots. Footprints in the bunkers were plentiful, including my favorite---footprints that lead right back to a rake(I wonder if that "golfer" tripped over the rake on the way in or out). Maintenance crews cannot repair all the damage that hundreds of bozo golfers cause. I suggest that there should be significant penalties for any of the above infractions.

Rich Iwaszko 03-15-2024 06:33 AM

Palmer

I will bet the pro didn't come out and pat you on the head and give you a balloon after your round either. :boom::ho:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2311116)
Someone's ying yang