Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Weed Prevention - I give up - HELP ! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/weed-prevention-i-give-up-help-310201/)

Graspher 08-18-2020 10:07 AM

Weed Prevention - I give up - HELP !

I have two large kidney shaped areas (containing trees/bushes) that are bordered and filled with medium size pine bark mulch. Anywhere from 1 to 4 inches deep.

I've been struggling with weeds for months. They won - I lost.

I don't want to use a weed barrier mat, newspaper or cardboard under the mulch.

Is there a chemical (been trying to avoid that but at this point I don't care anymore) that I can use that won't harm the tree/bushes but will kill weed growth?

Or do I just keep pulling hoping for the day when there will be no more weeds?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

retiredguy123 08-18-2020 10:14 AM

I use Roundup, which the EPA says is safe to use. I don't believe the lawyers.

N44125 08-18-2020 10:22 AM

Another vote for Roundup, works great.

Polar Bear 08-18-2020 10:29 AM

Preen.

It’s not perfect but very good. You’ll have to pull up or kill existing weeds. But Preen prevents new weeds from sprouting. I use it twice a year and have to pull just a few weeds occasionally.

Graspher 08-18-2020 11:54 AM

Thanks for that - will investigate both.

New Englander 08-18-2020 11:59 AM

Without a weed barrier, The weeds will never give up. I agree with others that say use Roundup.

OrangeBlossomBaby 08-18-2020 12:04 PM

Roundup will kill this batch of weeds. But it won't prevent more from growing in the next few months. Why don't you want to use a weed barrier? It's inexpensive, only labor-intensive for a day (you have to pull back all the mulch, lay it down, then toss the mulch back over the barrier and add a fresh layer), and will prevent a good percentage (not all) of weed growth. After that, you just pull the individual weeds out as they show up.

You'll still have to kill off or physically remove the current batch of weeds before laying down the mat but you'd have to do that whether you have a mat or not anyway, so that part isn't any extra work.

vb993 08-18-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graspher (Post 1819365)
I have two large kidney shaped areas (containing trees/bushes) that are bordered and filled with medium size pine bark mulch. Anywhere from 1 to 4 inches deep.

I've been struggling with weeds for months. They won - I lost.

I don't want to use a weed barrier mat, newspaper or cardboard under the mulch.

Is there a chemical (been trying to avoid that but at this point I don't care anymore) that I can use that won't harm the tree/bushes but will kill weed growth?

Or do I just keep pulling hoping for the day when there will be no more weeds?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

What we first thought were weeds in the shrubbery bed, and tried to pull them out, we found that they were long rhizomes from the St. Augustine grass that propagates that way. Found out the lawn guy was not edging around the planting beds to prevent their spread. Found another lawn service who did the proper job plus sprayed a Roundup like product (non cancerous) to kill the remaining little weed sprouts that pop up.

Kilmacowen 08-18-2020 01:23 PM

Best to kill with roundup, it kills the root. If you pull there will be roots that remain to grow again. If you want to pull wait for a week after spraying.

I use extended preen twice a year, good for 6 mos. My big problem is crabgrass that grows in the bushes. HD suggested a spray to attach to hose, but directions say not to use in 90 heat so i 'll have to wait. Preen will not kill crabgrass, but HD gave me a granular crabgrass preventer to spread in the early spring. We'll see how that goes.

brianherlihy 08-18-2020 02:55 PM

weed

ok her is the best/ 1 gal of vinager / 4 cups of water/ i use 2 caps of roundup / concentrate/ and now the best and 2 cups water and salt boil water and salt and put it in sprayer / and go to town no weeds:MOJE_whot::MOJE_whot::bigbow::bigbow::bigbow ::welcome:

thevillagernie 08-19-2020 05:21 AM

If you are using weed killer...Zoysia is no weed and it won't kill it...you have to use weed block...your in Florida

Alana33 08-19-2020 05:40 AM

The Complete Guide to Roundup Exposure. Are you at Risk?

1 Gallon distilled white vinegar (5%)
1 cup Epsom salt
1/2 cup Dish soap
Simply mix all the ingredients together in a sprayer, and spray on the weeds. I have found this recipe to be effective on driveways and walkways. The soap works to spread the vinegar and salt across the entire surface of the plant. Once the plant is covered it becomes dehydrated and dies.

ejcarter01 08-19-2020 06:10 AM

After you kill the weeds with roundup or another weed killer use Preen. it's a pre-emergent. It will help keep the weeds out for several months.

bonrich 08-19-2020 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alana33 (Post 1819707)
The Complete Guide to Roundup Exposure. Are you at Risk?

1 Gallon distilled white vinegar (5%)
1 cup Epsom salt
1/2 cup Dish soap
Simply mix all the ingredients together in a sprayer, and spray on the weeds. I have found this recipe to be effective on driveways and walkways. The soap works to spread the vinegar and salt across the entire surface of the plant. Once the plant is covered it becomes dehydrated and dies.

I use the same recipe except my mix is 1lb of Epsom Salts. I do find that it is effective on exposed weeds where the mixture can get to the roots, unlike in the landscaping beds with a fabric laid down, and a cover, very hard to kill a weed since the root is not easily soaked with the mixture to kill it. When used, very effective, spray in the AM and dead weeds in the PM.

ruralgoddess 08-19-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 1819370)
I use Roundup, which the EPA says is safe to use. I don't believe the lawyers.

Roundup contains carcinogens! Its not safe.