Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Jump starting a gas cart with power bank (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/jump-starting-gas-cart-power-bank-348759/)

Velvet 03-23-2024 04:31 PM

Jump starting a gas cart with power bank

1 Attachment(s)
Can I jump start my Yamaha gas golf cart if the battery goes flat when I’m away from home with my powerbank?

Bill14564 03-23-2024 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 2314750)
Can I jump start my Yamaha gas golf cart if the battery goes flat when I’m away from home with my powerbank?

Tricky, but yes.

Can it be connected to the dead battery and left for a while to put some charge into it? If so, that might be easier than trying to keep the cart running while disconnecting the powerbank and putting the cart into gear.

Velvet 03-23-2024 07:32 PM

What about rewiring the cart so it starts like a car with an engine on and off switch? Any thoughts? I guess you’d have to start it in neutral.

Bill14564 03-23-2024 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Velvet (Post 2314785)
What about rewiring the cart so it starts like a car with an engine on and off switch? Any thoughts? I guess you’d have to start it in neutral.

Would require changing the way the starter and throttle system work. Much simpler to just buy a charger.

Velvet 03-23-2024 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill14564 (Post 2314786)
Would require changing the way the starter and throttle system work. Much simpler to just buy a charger.

I have a charger and I use it, and I’m buying a new battery, I was just wondering what to do if the darn thing dies on me somewhere.

villagetinker 03-23-2024 07:45 PM

Quote:

A golf cart does not operate the same way as a car, for example the golf cart engine stops when you stop the cart, and starts again when you press the accelerator. In order to do this you need a functional battery ALL THE TIME. So you would need to leave the powerbank connected to the battery, and pray it would not be damaged when the golf cart is moving and trying to charge the battery.
If you are having battery problems, have the battery tested and replaced if necessary. I think the powerbank is a dangerous option.

Altavia 03-23-2024 08:02 PM

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...attery-345537/

MSchad 03-23-2024 08:55 PM

Quote:

Yes you can. I have one and carry it with me and have jump started several carts. The trick is to initially keep the cart running by maintaining slight pressure on the gas if you have to come to a stop. Its actually easy to do. Try just lightly pressing on the gas pedal of your cart at it will start and run without the brake releasing. The drive belt won’t engage until you increase engine speed above idle. You just do the same driving home, keeping slight pressure on gas pedal. The battery should recharge sufficiently after awhile driving at normal speed.

Papa_lecki 03-23-2024 11:30 PM

I’ve done it. Just connect the power bank to the battery.

I drove around for about 30 minutes with power bank connected. Haven’t needed it since.

MX rider 03-24-2024 11:31 AM

Buy a battery tender. Money well spent, it will keep the battery at full charge and extend battery life.
We keep ours on one here, and on my Polaris SxS back in Indiana.

I've used them for years on all my motorcycles and powersports equipment.

MrChip72 03-24-2024 01:38 PM

Quote:

Theoritically yes, but It's not very practical to do so. For these types of powerbanks, most will give out a boost for a span of around 15-30 seconds and then shutoff after that as a safety feature. So you would need to keep the cart moving without the engine stopping to get to your destination. You best bet for a backup is to pay yearly for a Cart Aid type service that will tow your cart if it breaks down for any reason.

dewilson58 03-24-2024 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2314788)
A golf cart does not operate the same way as a car, for example the golf cart engine stops when you stop the cart, and starts again when you press the accelerator.

Tink, jus so you know................new cars have auto shut-off (like at stop signs) and auto start when you take your foot off the brake.

Velvet 03-24-2024 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MX rider (Post 2315031)
Buy a battery tender. Money well spent, it will keep the battery at full charge and extend battery life.
We keep ours on one here, and on my Polaris SxS back in Indiana.

I've used them for years on all my motorcycles and powersports equipment.

You are right! I have one. When I charge the battery full up, on the trickle charger (I used to have a Kawasaki 6R) after one drive, the code for low battery comes on. I was thinking it’s a two year old battery just out of warranty according to Sumter Golf Carts. It must be awfully weak to not be able to hold a charge. I have nothing to draw power other than as manufactured except three things added to the cart; led lights around the bottom, Speedometer fuel gauge, and self-cancelling signals.

Velvet 03-24-2024 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChip72 (Post 2315064)
Theoritically yes, but It's not very practical to do so. For these types of powerbanks, most will give out a boost for a span of around 15-30 seconds and then shutoff after that as a safety feature. So you would need to keep the cart moving without the engine stopping to get to your destination. You best bet for a backup is to pay yearly for a Cart Aid type service that will tow your cart if it breaks down for any reason.

Thank you, I have Cart Aid. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do myself to start the cart if the battery goes flat that I could take with me.

villagetinker 03-24-2024 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 2315103)
Tink, jus so you know................new cars have auto shut-off (like at stop signs) and auto start when you take your foot off the brake.

Yes, I agree, but the cars are smart enough to block that operation for a weak battery, golf carts are not, and I was trying to simplify the discussion. From some of the replies it appears IF the power bank can be connected and will tolerate the golf cart charging function, then the OP should be able to use it for a trip home. I am not familiar with how the power bank will operate REPLACING (or supplementing) the existing battery, but this has been a very interesting discussion so far.