Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/)
-   -   Kuerig coffee maker fix (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/do-yourself-210/kuerig-coffee-maker-fix-175158/)

villagetinker 12-18-2015 10:19 AM

Kuerig coffee maker fix

Our 2 year old Kuerig coffee maker started giving my wife only 1/2 cup of coffee. Tried all of the recommendations in the instruction book, including de-scaling even though the de-scaling light was not on.
No luck, then I noticed the screen in the bottom of the water tank seemed to have some small black particles. I used the water faucet to clean the screen, the coffee maker is working like new.
I am posting this as the blockage on this screen is hard to see, so if you have this problem, try cleaning this screen.

Jima64 12-18-2015 10:37 AM

thanks for that tip but poor customer service and tens of thousands of online complaints have kept me from buying one.

CWGUY 12-18-2015 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jima64 (Post 1160225)
thanks for that tip but poor customer service and tens of thousands of online complaints have kept me from buying one.

:confused:

jnieman 12-18-2015 05:11 PM

We had our first Keurig for 2 years and had a problem. Went on you tube and tried to fix it to no avail. Called Keurig and they sent us a new one for free. We are one year into our second one with no issue but we do clean it about every six months. Go to you tube for instructions.

BogeyBoy 12-18-2015 06:24 PM

I've had three of them. The oldest one is still working fine - but I have done the cleaning with vinegar. The second one died. We only used it in the motorhome and I figured it had about 20,000 (rough highway) miles on it - I don't know the conversion to cups of coffee. Bought the same model as a replacement and it is still working fine.

A side note - I rarely buy K-cups. Buy ground coffee and use the filter. That way I have fine tuned the coffee to my liking.

telder 12-18-2015 08:39 PM

Take to bed bath and beyond and they will give you a new coffee maker

dbussone 12-18-2015 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jima64 (Post 1160225)

I guess we have been lucky. We are on our 2nd. The first died after 6 years, and the 2nd is now going strong. The only issues I've ever had have been the result of user error. We love the variety of flavors and coffees.

Steve & Deanna 12-19-2015 02:43 AM

We have two basic Keurigs, one up north and one in TV and have had one bite the dust a few years ago. It is a convenience to have them as the coffee flavor is always consistent. I for one like to turn it on, place a pod in the machine and MMMMM in less than a couple of minutes. I guess there are rival coffee makers on the market but haven't heard or seen any reviews.

Villager Joyce 12-19-2015 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 1160212)
Our 2 year old Kuerig coffee maker started giving my wife only 1/2 cup of coffee. Tried all of the recommendations in the instruction book, including de-scaling even though the de-scaling light was not on.
No luck, then I noticed the screen in the bottom of the water tank seemed to have some small black particles. I used the water faucet to clean the screen, the coffee maker is working like new.
I am posting this as the blockage on this screen is hard to see, so if you have this problem, try cleaning this screen.

How do you get to the screen?

Cedwards38 12-19-2015 07:42 AM

We use ours every day and it's nearly four years now. Still growing strong.
That's a good tip though. I'll have to remember that in case.

airbear 12-24-2015 01:13 PM

Had a problem with my Kuerig a couple of years ago. The maker would sound like it was working, ie pump running, but no liquid appeared. It would continue to run until unplugged. I thought it was toast as nothing worked, scaling, cleaning, etc. Checked the internet and others were having the same problem. The solution was to slap the Kuerig on the back of the machine a couple of times. Not a love tap but a good healthy impact. Worked!!!! Now it happens a couple of time a year and the slap on the back still works.

villagetinker 12-24-2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villager Joyce (Post 1160559)
How do you get to the screen?

I just used the hand sprayer on the sink at full force, that seemed to work well. The design suggests the screen could be removed, however, none of my tools could access it, so I cleaned in place.

Update, this has been working for the last 2 plus months.

BK001 12-28-2015 12:57 PM

I was 11 months into my first Keurig and it died. Called Keurig and they sent a newer model within 3 days. New one has been going strong for about 2.5 years and we probably make 10-12 cups daily! Love my Keurig.