Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   You just have to see this! (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/you-just-have-see-18007/)

tony 10-28-2008 05:24 PM

You just have to see this!

From time to time you may have gotten the sense that the administrators struggle in the dark hallways behind the forum with some characters that defy description. I have likened it to feeling like Tommy Lee Jones' character in Men in Black. You know, he wrestles with all manner of aliens, and gets down and dirty with them, and a little slimy, too.

We thought we should offer you an example just too good to pass up.

Here is what came to us in our email today. I took out member's names.
You know, I have been thinking about it since you deleted our political quotes thread today and talking with (a member) about the censorship. . . . I have been generating entirely too many logins and responses for your website and I know that is what the site thrives on and you have done me nothing but dirty by reading and deleting my posts and my private messages I am sure, so.......**** you, all of you, take your damn website and stick it up your thought police asses.
And also, give a big **** you to (female member), (male member), (another mail member) and (another female member) and tell them all, I will see them at TV. **** you Jan and Tony!!
I have to tell you that this has irritated Jan and me extremely. We want to know how Darrel has escaped unscathed.

ConeyIsBabe 10-28-2008 05:34 PM

Omg !

One thing I've learned from hanging out in public forums for the last ten years is that we really know nothing about the people we communicate with..... we do not know what substance they are abusing. We do not know of their mental or physical pain. We do not know if they are mentally challenged or just plain mean :cus:

I sure hope I don't run into that person when/if I ever relocate to TV :yuck:

Peachie 10-28-2008 05:37 PM

My gosh, Tony... how does this poster merit anonymity?

renielarson 10-28-2008 05:59 PM

We respond from hurt in many different ways. For me (and others who I personally know), it is to fade and slide into the background. For others, it is to vent verbally with unacceptable language that I'm sure is regrettable once the anger subsides.

We all are human and have made poor decisions along our road of life. However, in my opinion, it's in bad taste as an administrator or anyone else, to exploit the mistakes of others. At times, anger can get the best of us and Tony...you aren't exempt. We all say (or post) things we regret at some time or another. I know you know what I'm saying.

My recommendation...delete this thread.

tkret 10-28-2008 06:01 PM

Well, Tony, this sounds like something that should be kept on file in the event the poster means something when he/she says "tell them all, I will see them at TV." Sounds a little threatening to me.

dklassen 10-28-2008 06:07 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...smiley.svg.png

Barefoot 10-28-2008 06:10 PM

Tony, what an insight into the dark side of a member! :faint:

I had no idea you Admins had to put up with posts like this one. Scary as hell, actually.

Talk Host 10-28-2008 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightspot01 (Post 170074)
We respond from hurt in many different ways. For me (and others who I personally know), it is to fade and slide into the background. For others, it is to vent verbally with unacceptable language that I'm sure is regrettable once the anger subsides.

We all are human and have made poor decisions along our road of life. However, in my opinion, it's in bad taste as an administrator or anyone else, to exploit the mistakes of others. At times, anger can get the best of us and Tony...you aren't exempt. We all say (or post) things we regret at some time or another. I know you know what I'm saying.

My recommendation...delete this thread.

This was not a one time event.

And, Darrel.....Yah right! Hey, it's me, Jan, remember?

JohnnyM 10-28-2008 06:23 PM

Since this person has been a frequent flier on this forum and has sent this type of slime to an Administrator, is he or she banned for life? If not, what punishment has been doled out to this person. JohnnyM

Pete 10-28-2008 06:23 PM

Tony,
was the member who sent that email put in the time out room?
I was wondering if there will be a TOTV forum after the election is over, from what I have been reading lately it looks doubtful.
I still think it a good place and after the wounds heal it will be back, there will be scars, but it will be back. JMHO

tony 10-28-2008 06:33 PM

Johnny,

I don't see any infraction of forum rules.

villages07 10-28-2008 06:35 PM

Ugly...

Tony, Jan and Darrel (the angel)....

Yuk, that was ugly. :boxing2: Yes, emotions are running high and you guys have to make editorial decisions that don't always sit well with the person affected....but, this reaction was over the top. Such filthy language from someone who espouses opposite values.:cus:

If this were "Survivor", said person would be voted off the island. Then, there would be (more) peace in the Valley. :a040:
Hang in there.

PS...just read Tony's post...hmmm, interesting interpretation. So, a person can cuss out the admins and not be punished. OK, maybe if it was totally done in private and you guys are willing to let that occur. But, then to reprint (although edited) the PM for all to see and react and still not apply a ban....puzzling. But, it's your site to do with as you wish.

JohnnyM 10-28-2008 06:43 PM

Okay, your call. You know of course this will leave you guys open for some real whoppers ahead if you let that kind of communication continue now that you went public with your no harm, no foul rule. Not from me of course!

tkret 10-28-2008 06:47 PM

Tony, Jan and Darrel

You folks have given us a wonderful gift called "Talk of The Villages". As the old proverb says, No good deed goes unpunished!

rshoffer 10-28-2008 07:08 PM

That gave me the creeps and I hear stuff like that on a pretty regular basis. I enjoy TOTV and tell everyone about it. Life's too short to take too serious.