Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About pets (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/)
-   -   Toxic Toads (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-pets-120/toxic-toads-340101/)

gigi9877 03-24-2023 07:57 AM

Toxic Toads

I have been reading articles on poisonous toads. Pretty scary as my doodle is a scavenger and sticks her snout sniffing around everywhere. Is there a certain time of the year these things come around, where do you find them hiding? I lived in Tampa a long time ago I honestly don’t remember these toxic toads. Are there a large amount of these things jumping around?

Two Bills 03-24-2023 08:08 AM

I think you are referring to Cane Toads. They are toxic to most animals.
They are invasive to Florida, not protected, so you can kill them.
In twenty years wintering in TV I have never seen one.

PS. Killing all the alligators at the moment, will start on toads next week!;)

JMintzer 03-24-2023 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 2200892)
I think you are referring to Cane Toads. They are toxic to most animals.
They are invasive to Florida, not protected, so you can kill them.
In twenty years wintering in TV I have never seen one.

PS. Killing all the alligators at the moment, will start on toads next week!;)

"Toxic Toads"...

Hmmm... I may have to rethink "Alligators in the Attic" as my new band name...

dhdallas 03-24-2023 11:16 AM

Oh my!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigi9877 (Post 2200886)
I have been reading articles on poisonous toads. Pretty scary as my doodle is a scavenger and sticks her snout sniffing around everywhere. Is there a certain time of the year these things come around, where do you find them hiding? I lived in Tampa a long time ago I honestly don’t remember these toxic toads. Are there a large amount of these things jumping around?

Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Happydaz 03-24-2023 02:53 PM

Cane toads are usually 4-6 inches in size. (Some can get even larger, 7-9 inches) If you see a toad larger than 4 inches it is very likely to be a cane toad. Do not touch them. Their skin is toxic and can kill pets and other animals. They are an invasive species. They can be removed with permission of the property owner. They have been seen in Central Florida as well as other regions in the state.

Dusty_Star 03-24-2023 03:06 PM

I'm wondering if any have been seen yet north of the Florida Turnpike? I have seen reports of the cane toads in central Florida south of the turnpike.
Anyone know?

fdpaq0580 03-24-2023 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty_Star (Post 2201026)
I'm wondering if any have been seen yet north of the Florida Turnpike? I have seen reports of the cane toads in central Florida south of the turnpike.
Anyone know?

All cane toads are south of 44 at this time. They're planning to invade over the golf cart bridges starting at midnight on April the 1th.

(Dear DS. This is not a real report. It is just a dumb joke. No need to worry-------- yet.
Best wishes, your friend and mine,
Fred)

Taltarzac725 03-24-2023 09:51 PM

Cane Toad

I have seen toads in the Villages but never got close enough to tell if they were Cane Toads or Native Southern Toads.

A Yorkie of a neighbor did bite one of these and, I believe, she had to go to the vet as soon as they could get her there. She was foaming at the mouth.

Toad Poisoning in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospitals.

I had pulled my dog away as soon as I saw he was near a toad and he have a small re-action. I think he only touched it with his nose. He seemed OK after a few minutes. So, I kept him home.

Worldseries27 03-25-2023 04:26 AM

Google
toad the wet sprocket.
Fall down

srctink 03-25-2023 04:43 AM

Quote:

I lived in Ft Laud, and lost our westie to this toad. I think it was called a Buffo toad. Very poisonous

Dilligas 03-25-2023 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srctink (Post 2201089)
I lived in Ft Laud, and lost our westie to this toad. I think it was called a Buffo toad. Very poisonous

We also had those nasty buffo toads in Ft Lauderdale in our lawn, and would take a spray bottle of vinegar ( ? or ammonia ? … not sure ) with us when out with our dog. Spraying their backs would stop them dead……the bigger the toad, the more spray was needed. We’d then scoop them up for garbage can. Thank goodness we have yet to see one in TV.

RICH1 03-25-2023 05:38 AM

Yes correct, most of those toads & snakes are south…the wet prairie and marshland areas support natural habitat for these critters..
also the land sharks and lounge lizards have been known to frequent the local squares in the evening…they love the heat

Cobullymom 03-25-2023 05:52 AM

Quote:

No there isn't many this far north, they are Cane roads and they are typically very large and have large glands, that expell poison if they are handled. We have mostly harmless beneficial southern roads in this area.

Cobullymom 03-25-2023 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 (Post 2201077)
Cane Toad

I have seen toads in the Villages but never got close enough to tell if they were Cane Toads or Native Southern Toads.

A Yorkie of a neighbor did bite one of these and, I believe, she had to go to the vet as soon as they could get her there. She was foaming at the mouth.

Toad Poisoning in Dogs | VCA Animal Hospitals.

I had pulled my dog away as soon as I saw he was near a toad and he have a small re-action. I think he only touched it with his nose. He seemed OK after a few minutes. So, I kept him home.

A southern road excretes a foul but non poisonous liquid, if it's harmed. It will make a dog foam at the mouth but it's not going to harm them, like the Cane toad. It's good to rince their mouths out if this happens, but most likely in this area it's just a harmless southern toad.

Cobullymom 03-25-2023 06:08 AM

Quote:

They are typically located south of the I-4 corridor, not usually in this area. Here is an article with pictures. I suggest if you walk your dog late at night and you are worried they have leashes that can go around your dogs muzzel to prevent them from placing their mouth on the toads. But as a dog owner I have not seen or encountered one, just southern toads in this area. Google Image Result for https://www.naplesgov.com/sites/default/files/imageattachments/wysiwyg/canetoad_southerntoad_comparison_lg.jpg