Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Adding rear seat to Quiet Tech (2017-2019ish)? Powerful enough? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/adding-rear-seat-quiet-tech-2017-2019ish-powerful-enough-343867/)

frayedends 09-04-2023 06:53 AM

Adding rear seat to Quiet Tech (2017-2019ish)? Powerful enough?

So in researching used golf carts I see a lot of 2 seaters. Many 4 seaters are overpriced for our needs. Anyhow, I've seen kits to add a rear seat. I'm mechanically inclined, so no issues doing the work.

However, on the Yamaha site it seems the 4 seaters have a more powerful motor. Wondering if anyone's added a rear seat and felt it was sufficiently powered or not? We probably won't often need the rear seat, but when we do it would be nice to have.

villagetinker 09-04-2023 09:14 AM

We have a 2017 Yamaha drive 2 quietech that was fitted with the fold down rear seats. We have no problems with the engine, however, you will need to upgrade the rear suspension, and if there is too much weight in the rear seats the steering can get a little touchy. One additional item, many of the conversion kits have SMALL holes for the taillights to be seen, these do not work well plan on installing additional LED brake and turn signal lights.

frayedends 09-04-2023 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2252912)
We have a 2017 Yamaha drive 2 quietech that was fitted with the fold down rear seats. We have no problems with the engine, however, you will need to upgrade the rear suspension, and if there is too much weight in the rear seats the steering can get a little touchy. One additional item, many of the conversion kits have SMALL holes for the taillights to be seen, these do not work well plan on installing additional LED brake and turn signal lights.

Great, thanks for the info. It's very helpful.

kkingston57 09-04-2023 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayedends (Post 2252839)
So in researching used golf carts I see a lot of 2 seaters. Many 4 seaters are overpriced for our needs. Anyhow, I've seen kits to add a rear seat. I'm mechanically inclined, so no issues doing the work.

However, on the Yamaha site it seems the 4 seaters have a more powerful motor. Wondering if anyone's added a rear seat and felt it was sufficiently powered or not? We probably won't often need the rear seat, but when we do it would be nice to have.

Personally, I would not ride in a rear facing seat in a golf cart. Should not be a problem with power, but you will need to beef up the suspension.

JMintzer 09-04-2023 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkingston57 (Post 2253035)
Personally, I would not ride in a rear facing seat in a golf cart. Should not be a problem with power, but you will need to beef up the suspension.

Just as I never sit in the back seat of my own car, I don't have to ride in a rear facing seat...

If they want to go for the ride, they takes their chances...

BrianL99 09-04-2023 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkingston57 (Post 2253035)

Only if he wants to be able to steer it. 😂

villagetinker 09-04-2023 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayedends (Post 2252922)
Great, thanks for the info. It's very helpful.

I forgot to add make sure you get and they use the seatbelts on the rear seats, this is very important....

MrChip72 09-04-2023 11:11 PM

We got this done at Carts and Clubs in Ocala earlier this year on our 2016 Yamaha. They upgraded the rear suspension and since then I added armrests with cupholders myself which really made it extra comfortable.

Our cart can easily go full speed ~23 MPH with 4 grown adults. I actually enjoy the ride sitting in the back sometimes.

bowlingal 09-05-2023 05:06 AM

you can add a rear seat that folds up when not using it.

Minoletti 09-05-2023 05:33 AM

stiff ride

the rear suspension will need an upgrade to accomodate the potential additional weight thus when a 2 seater the ride is now much stiffer

thevillagernie 09-05-2023 05:38 AM

golf cart

Quote:

Originally Posted by frayedends (Post 2252839)

don't forget to extend roof for water run-off

sdeikenberry 09-05-2023 05:57 AM

Word of caution. As you will need to beef up the rear suspension, you will find the ride is much stiffer and more uncomfortable whenever you do not have 4 passengers. Think how much you will really use a 4 seater and decide if the more uncomfortable ride is worth it.

bcsnave 09-05-2023 06:20 AM

We have a 2022 Yamaha Quietech PTV that was built as a 4 seat. There rear end gear set is different on these also. The shocks are the factory which I believe have a different spring rate. For our use, the back seat folds down and we carry things on the platform. We have the extended roof, matching seats and all of the LEDs

gbs317 09-05-2023 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2252912)

Agreed here with the VillageTinker. I also have a refurbished 2017 I bought in 2018 and added, as an afterthought, the fold down rear seats, led’s are a must even without the seat. My only regret is not doing it right from the start of my rebuild so rear suspension has to be beefed up but most importantly the roof doesn’t extend over the rear seat and the cost was too much to replace roof. Advice is get the seat when you order the cart.

MandoMan 09-05-2023 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdeikenberry (Post 2253130)
Word of caution. As you will need to beef up the rear suspension, you will find the ride is much stiffer and more uncomfortable whenever you do not have 4 passengers. Think how much you will really use a 4 seater and decide if the more uncomfortable ride is worth it.

Correct. And find up how much it would cost to rent another cart for the rare times when you have guests who want to ride in a golf cart instead of a car.