Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Lowering Yamaha roof 20 inches? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/lowering-yamaha-roof-20-inches-347379/)

ElDiabloJoe 02-03-2024 02:31 PM

Lowering Yamaha roof 20 inches?

I see there are some aftermarket kits, but I'm looking for a way to be able to lower my cart's roof by 20+ inches in order to fit inside an enclosed trailer. Anyone do this or have any firsthand experience?

MCJEFE 02-03-2024 04:02 PM

I'm not sure... you could try asking in The Villages Custom Cart Club group on Facebook. Someone there might be able to help.

Hape2Bhr 02-03-2024 04:10 PM

///

Keefelane66 02-03-2024 04:32 PM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ENidtl0dF00

Roof lowering

villagetinker 02-03-2024 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe (Post 2297904)
I see there are some aftermarket kits, but I'm looking for a way to be able to lower my cart's roof by 20+ inches in order to fit inside an enclosed trailer. Anyone do this or have any firsthand experience?

Ok I am guessing that you want to be able to replace the roof to the original height after the GC is removed from the trailer. If this is the case, you will need to cut the supports, install slightly smaller (or larger) square tube and suitable fasteners so that the roof can be re-installed. Interesting project. I have suitable steel fasteners, bolts and the tool to insert these. I think Lowe's carries the proper size square tubing. I also have all of the necessary tools, welder, saws, etc.
Let me know if interested.

ElDiabloJoe 02-04-2024 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2297932)
Ok I am guessing that you want to be able to replace the roof to the original height after the GC is removed from the trailer. If this is the case, you will need to cut the supports, install slightly smaller (or larger) square tube and suitable fasteners so that the roof can be re-installed. Interesting project. I have suitable steel fasteners, bolts and the tool to insert these. I think Lowe's carries the proper size square tubing. I also have all of the necessary tools, welder, saws, etc.

DM sent.

kkingston57 02-04-2024 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe (Post 2297904)

I am tall and have to duck if I drive any other cart but a Yamaha. Even if you are a short person might not be able to get into cart. Remember you will be lowering curtains also.

Fastskiguy 02-05-2024 07:34 AM

20 inches shorter seems like a dramatic decrease in headroom....you sure you'll have enough space to sit under the lowered roof?

Joe

Parteeinga 02-05-2024 08:59 AM

Sounds like the best option is to remove the roof and supports to get it in the trailer. Once you get to where you are going, put the roof back on.

Now, if you are trying to make a low rider golf cart, that would be a whole other issue.

Old Bob 02-05-2024 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr (Post 2297920)
///

what does /// mean

photo1902 02-05-2024 02:02 PM

With all due respect, get a taller trailer if this is a big issue for you.

Hape2Bhr 02-05-2024 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Bob (Post 2298360)
what does /// mean

I misinterpreted the OP's post; so I deleted my post and replaced it with ///.

Bob45 02-07-2024 10:53 AM

I did it

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 2297932)

I did exactly what Villagetinker suggested. It worked well.

ElDiabloJoe 02-07-2024 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob45 (Post 2298806)
I did exactly what Villagetinker suggested. It worked well.

Willing to post up pics?

JMintzer 02-07-2024 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkingston57 (Post 2298202)
I am tall and have to duck if I drive any other cart but a Yamaha. Even if you are a short person might not be able to get into cart. Remember you will be lowering curtains also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastskiguy (Post 2298279)
20 inches shorter seems like a dramatic decrease in headroom....you sure you'll have enough space to sit under the lowered roof?

Joe

It's not a permanent top chop. Just a temporary drop so the OP can fit the cart into a trailer...