Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   Criss Cross - James Patterson's Alex Cross Series Book (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/criss-cross-james-pattersons-alex-cross-series-book-307972/)

Polar Bear 06-19-2020 01:45 PM

Criss Cross - James Patterson's Alex Cross Series Book

My wife just brought this book home from the library. Should I read it? Or is that a mistake since I've not read any previous Alex Cross novels?

What do you think?

Bjeanj 06-19-2020 01:57 PM

Any of his Alex Cross books are great, however, my recommendation for these is always to start with his first one, so you can enjoy any references to his backstory.

retiredguy123 06-19-2020 01:59 PM

Why not start with "Along Came A Spider"? That was the first one and it was good. They also made a movie. The rest of the Alex Cross books just went downhill, in my opinion.

Stu from NYC 06-19-2020 03:14 PM

Very interesting and very fast to read but will understand the characters a lot more if you start from the beginning.

Taltarzac725 06-19-2020 06:50 PM

James Patterson's Alex Cross Series - Books in Order | Hachette Book Group

This might be helpful.

mixsonci 06-20-2020 12:37 AM

I've only read one of his books, one of the last ones I believe and I didn't have any trouble reading and understanding everything about the storyline and characters without having read the earlier ones. I did enjoy the book.

Travelingal702 06-20-2020 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1787787)
My wife just brought this book home from the library. Should I read it? Or is that a mistake since I've not read any previous Alex Cross novels?

What do you think?

Oh, be brave and just jump in. Although, I agree to start with one of his first book. Therefore, when he's referencing from a previous book (which I hate him doing), you'll know what he's talking about. They are entertaining reads and I think you'll enjoy them.

crash 06-20-2020 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polar Bear (Post 1787787)

What do you think?

By all means read it the Alex Cross books are not a serial book you do not have to read them in any order. Just the same main characters Think James Bond.

2mnydogs 06-20-2020 05:56 AM

These books are great but you should start from the first one since the characters evolve.

Southgate 06-20-2020 07:22 AM

My recommendation is any novel by Michael Connolly. He is a far superior writer than Patterson.

Luckytwo 06-20-2020 07:57 AM

I love James Patterson’s books. I would recommend to read them in order.

Joe C. 06-20-2020 08:05 AM

I haven't read him yet.
I just started with Vince Flynn and Lee Child.

I've always enjoyed Tom Clancy, W.E.B. Griffin, and James Michener (too bad that they are all passed away).

Stu from NYC 06-20-2020 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe C. (Post 1788169)
I haven't read him yet.
I just started with Vince Flynn and Lee Child.

I've always enjoyed Tom Clancy, W.E.B. Griffin, and James Michener (too bad that they are all passed away).

Love all of them but had no idea that WEB Griffin is gone. Always enjoyed his books and characters.

Stu from NYC 06-20-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southgate (Post 1788124)
My recommendation is any novel by Michael Connolly. He is a far superior writer than Patterson.

Agreed. Have been watching the "Bosch" series on Prime Video. Outstanding, sorry we didnt start earlier,

Been watching 2 episodes a night for past month but only 8 more to go. Hoping it continues.

OrangeBlossomBaby 06-20-2020 08:14 AM

When I read my first Patterson book I didn't know there was a series of Cross books. My first was I believe his third or fourth. The one I read next was another random one in the series. I've read a few of them and had no trouble "keeping up" with the character evolution. Patterson includes enough information in each book to "update" the reader on any significant changes in the cast of characters.

Each book can stand alone if you choose to read them independent of the others.