Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   TOTV Website and Mobile Suggestion Box (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/totv-website-mobile-suggestion-box-425/)
-   -   Punctuation on this forum is messed up (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/totv-website-mobile-suggestion-box-425/punctuation-forum-messed-up-306443/)

coffeebean 05-14-2020 06:30 AM

Punctuation on this forum is messed up

Is it me or is the punctuation on this forum wonky? I've noticed it since yesterday. From what I have seen so far, the comma is placed in the incorrect position when typed.

For example.....I typed a comma after the word far above. It looks like the letter r and the apostrophe are all one character rather than the apostrophe appearing after the letter r.

Here is another example.....

I like the colors red, blue, green, purple and yellow. See where the commas are?

The commas are incorrectly placed after the words red blue and green.

This is distracting me when composing and reading the comments.

davem4616 05-14-2020 06:40 AM

I noticed that also, while typing a response...I went back a few times to correct it thinking that my fingers just worked faster than I had intended

that's all that I've noticed

Blackie 05-14-2020 06:49 AM

Just revert to the old version of TOTV until the issue gets fixed.

John_W 05-14-2020 07:46 AM

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. (for those who never took typing, this sentence contains every letter)

,,,,,, ....... ????? ;;;;;; :::::

I've never switched to the new format, can't stand to look at it.

LI SNOWBIRD 05-14-2020 09:48 AM

I wrote policy for The Department of Social Services for Public Assistance and Food Stamps for 10 years. My boss kinda hated me so on 9/11 I was in her office "discussing" my use of a single comma in a 11 page procedure--while the towers fell. Ya gotta use Strunk and White's "Elements of Style" ( they would frown on my use of "Gotta") UGH!

blueash 05-14-2020 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1764678)
Is it me or is the punctuation on this forum wonky? I've noticed it since yesterday. From what I have seen so far, the comma is placed in the incorrect position when typed.

For example.....I typed a comma after the word far above. It looks like the letter r and the apostrophe are all one character rather than the apostrophe appearing after the letter r.

I like the colors red, blue, green, purple and yellow. See where the commas are?

It looks fine to me. Although I am having some problem finding the mentioned apostrophe. I do see you went with no Oxford comma. I wonder if it is how the website is handling different browsers or devices that makes it look wrong to you.

Test... red, blue, yellow, green ... Looks normal to me when I type it. Here is a screen shot clip of how I see your original post.

Two Bills 05-14-2020 11:03 AM

At least I now have an excuse for my punctuation mistakes, all I need is for the words to be jumbled, and I would be in spelin hevun!:icon_wink:

LiverpoolWalrus 05-14-2020 05:37 PM

Punctuation on every forum anywhere in the world of social media is “messed up.” Have you seen Facebook posts? Just sayin.’

tophcfa 05-14-2020 10:00 PM

We are talking about posts on social media, not a short essay for an english class. Many posts are typed on tablets or smart phones by older people that need reading glasses. Proper grammar and punctuation are the last thing on many posters minds, including mine.

RoadToad 05-15-2020 05:14 AM

konho, oihoih,
Hmmmm, looks 100% OK on my Desktop (Windows) Computer.
Different devices/browsers might present the web page differently.

Lee Gilpin 05-15-2020 06:02 AM

More critical to me is the automatic single space after a complete sentence. Makes it difficult to do a quick read. Personally, if I share an important writing I go through it and add the second space.

Bridget Staunton 05-15-2020 06:15 AM

I don’t understand, sorry I am missing something. Comma is placed properly after the words Red, Blue and Green

MOMOH 05-15-2020 07:28 AM

It's fine on my laptop, but messed up on my iPad.

Pedrocarrasco01@yahoo.com 05-15-2020 07:28 AM

I posted this morning and appears to be fixed

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1764678)

Yes, yesterday it was a big mess, but it appears to be fixed this morning.
Thank you TOTV staff for fixing it!!!!!!!!!
:bigbow::bigbow::bigbow::bigbow::bigbow::bigbow::b igbow::bigbow:

OrangeBlossomBaby 05-15-2020 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD (Post 1764906)
I wrote policy for The Department of Social Services for Public Assistance and Food Stamps for 10 years. My boss kinda hated me so on 9/11 I was in her office "discussing" my use of a single comma in a 11 page procedure--while the towers fell. Ya gotta use Strunk and White's "Elements of Style" ( they would frown on my use of "Gotta") UGH!

I love that little book. I have a dog-eared copy of it on my desk.