Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   Championship & exec greens in TV? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/championship-exec-greens-tv-118148/)

CatskillBill 06-18-2014 07:52 PM

Championship & exec greens in TV?

Of the courses you've played in the last 2-3 weeks, which greens were the best/worst ? Normal polls on this site only allow you one vote. That's why I didn't set up a poll. If you know how please start one for us.

Please rate them 0-5 (0=poor, 5=great). By each nine hole name on the championship courses if you recall. I'm trying to avoid anything like the Hacienda Hills, and Glen View conditions. G.V.'s practice greens are perfect that's very strange considering the real greens.

IMHO
Palmer = 4.0 Laurel & Cherry
Evans = 3.0 Killdeer & Osprey (Egret is closed)
Bonifay= 3.0
Cane = 3.5
Lopez = 2-2.5 (2 1/2 weeks ago)
Glen V = 0-1
H.Hills = 0-1 Palms & Oaks (Lakes closed until Oct.)

Heron = 1
Tarpon = 2.5
Truman = 3

CatskillBill 06-18-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatskillBill (Post 895196)
Of the courses you've played in the last 2-3 weeks, which greens were the best/worst ? Normal polls on this site only allow you one vote. That's why I didn't set up a poll. If you know how please start one for us.

Please rate them 0-5 (0=poor, 5=great). By each nine hole name on the championship courses if you recall. I'm trying to avoid anything like the Hacienda Hills, and Glen View conditions. G.V.'s practice greens are perfect that's very strange considering the real greens.

IMHO
Bonifay= 3.0
Cane = 3.5
Glen V = 0-1

Heron = 1
Tarpon = 2.5
Truman = 3

I guess everyone on TOTV quit golfing, or is playing off campus these days?
Your ratings appreciated for those too.

karostay 06-19-2014 06:57 AM

For the life of me I just don't understand as to why.
a community created and marketed solely on golf have such poor conditions.
Go anywhere off site and greens and fairways are in much better shape.

karostay 06-19-2014 07:38 AM

Everyone says it's the amount of play.
Birds are long gone
Why is every inch of the fairways in poor condition and greens brown ?
Cost yes the less you spend the more you pocket

Gat0r 06-19-2014 08:04 AM

I heard that the irrigation water has a ph of 9.(salt water is 8.3)

Regor 06-19-2014 11:29 AM

been here for 17 years, The greens are always in poor shape after aeration. Takes a month or so to heal.
A friend played Bay Hill 2 weeks ago and said the greens were worse there than here.
Maybe it's just florida in the summer?

karostay 06-19-2014 01:18 PM

Whats the use of aerating the fairways if you don't top dress with a sand soil mix to soften the surface so grass can grow.
Would be like trying aerate Morris BVD

Mikeod 06-19-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 895497)
Whats the use of aerating the fairways if you don't top dress with a sand soil mix to soften the surface so grass can grow.
Would be like trying aerate Morris BVD

Aerating the fairways relieves compaction even if you don't top dress. Some courses leave the plugs on top where they are broken up by the mower and fill the holes a bit. But it still allows water and fertilizer better access into the root zone of the turf.

Bogie Shooter 06-19-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gat0r (Post 895329)

Heard?

Bogie Shooter 06-19-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatskillBill (Post 895196)

IMHO
Bonifay= 3.0
Cane = 3.5
Glen V = 0-1

Heron = 1
Tarpon = 2.5
Truman = 3

Rating golf courses is like rating restaurants. Everybody's expectations are different.........so the rating's are ____________.

Polar Bear 06-19-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 895608)
Rating golf courses is like rating restaurants. Everybody's expectations are different.........so the rating's are meaningless.

Maybe not scientific, but I would not say meaningless.

Recently played courses:

Heron - 1
Pelican: 2-3.5 (pretty wide variability for just one course)
Bacall: 2.5

I too am confident conditions will get better.

villages07 06-19-2014 05:49 PM

I am no expert on golf course maintenance, but, here are my recent experiences:

Bogart today 2.5 still pretty thin with a number of bad patches

Palmetto yesterday 3.5-4.0 they were decent, not bumpy, no real bare patches, rolled true

Evans/Osprey Monday -- hard to remember but seemed marginal, thin and bumpy.

I do agree that the courses, champ and exec, seem to be in worse shape this summer than I ever recall. Very thin fairways and many greens with numerous bare spots and very slow recovery from aeration.

Hopefully, maintenance, time, and weather will help them heal.

DonH57 06-19-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gat0r (Post 895329)

Really? Tasted ok to me!

waynet 06-19-2014 07:39 PM

The conditions on the champ courses are never exceptional. At times they are good. But much of the time they are horrible for any number of reasons or excuses offered. Ownership takes advantage of priority members and those that play these champ courses. We pay a premium to play. It is not cheap to play them. Ownership even though they are making lots of money has decided to go cheap in every way possible hence the conditions.

ajbrown 06-19-2014 07:41 PM

I thought it was a great OP and a nice way to think about it if I was making tee times currently. There are so many courses, it is hard to know which are good/bad and there are some good opinions on here (you get to know the posters over time).

I only post this to support this type of thread, because sadly I have nothing to offer as I have not played any courses in TV for that period...

It is the kind of thread I would enjoy contributing to when playing again in a couple of months.