Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Independence Day Fireworks on Lake Sumter (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/independence-day-fireworks-lake-sumter-266841/)

ColdNoMore 06-30-2018 05:09 PM

Independence Day Fireworks on Lake Sumter

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1557826)
For the first time in many years the Villages will have a community fireworks display on the 4th of July. Technicians are prepping the boat to launch fireworks from the middle of Lake Sumter! :coolsmiley:

We've been here, either renting or owning, for 8 Independence Day's and have always wondered that with the perfect venue of Lake Sumpter (I put the pee in it :D)...why there was never a fireworks display. :confused:

If it does happen...it will be very, very cool! :coolsmiley:

twoplanekid 06-30-2018 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1557869)
We've been here, either renting or owning, for 8 Independence Day's and have always wondered that with the perfect venue of Lake Sumpter (I put the pee in it :D)...why there was never a fireworks display. :confused:

If it does happens...it will be very, very cool! :coolsmiley:

I agree ! :mademyday:

ColdNoMore 06-30-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1557870)
I agree ! :mademyday:

Yep. :D

kcrazorbackfan 06-30-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1557826)
For the first time in many years the Villages will have a community fireworks display on the 4th of July. Technicians are prepping the boat to launch fireworks from the middle of Lake Sumter! :coolsmiley:

The fireworks display will have to be before 7pm because it will wake up all the old folks. :1rotfl:

twoplanekid 06-30-2018 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1557873)
If everyone gets their little hearts desire than the charges will go up. That is the bottom line.

I like it the way it is.

If you are talking about fireworks, I disagree!

For the past 30 years in Urbana, Ohio, the Rotary Club would collect monies from businesses, individuals and Rotarians to fund fireworks held at the city owned airport. The club did this in the spirit of patriotism and for all our citizens to enjoy for free. I will miss it this year as I am down here.

Someday, I would hope a local group could do the same here in the Villages. The cost of freedom is not free.

ColdNoMore 06-30-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1557889)
If you are talking about fireworks, I disagree!

For the past 30 years in Urbana, Ohio, the Rotary Club would collect monies from businesses, individuals and Rotarians to fund fireworks held at the city owned airport. The club did this in the spirit of patriotism and for all our citizens to enjoy for free. I will miss it this year as I am down here.

Someday, I would hope a local group could do the same here in the Villages. The cost of freedom is not free.

Too expensive for The Developer? :oops:

I'm sure a few bucks could be found to do this once a year...whereby so many could enjoy it.

Just one idea is how about rotating (1 a week) and going 'dark' (on say Monday's)...with the live music at one of the squares?

Or maybe cutting back on the 2-3 flower plantings a year...on a couple of medians?

Or?????

And if The Developer is that broke, I for one, would be willing to donate an extra $5 a year to help out...to see a moderate fireworks display on Lake Sumpter (oops, I did it again :D). :thumbup:

graciegirl 06-30-2018 07:13 PM

The developer has made a lot of wise decisions in my opinion. I bet that the preponderance of Villagers don't want to have fireworks here in TV. We have seen a lot of fireworks in our lifetimes.

And I repeat;

If everyone gets their little hearts desire than the charges will go up. That is the bottom line.

I like it the way it is. Love the flowers. Like EVERYTHING.

If we want to see fireworks on the fourth of July here in The Villages, all we need do is stand in our driveways and look in any direction. Or drive to a nearby community.

ColdNoMore 06-30-2018 08:03 PM

Independence Day Fireworks on Lake Sumter

Thanks Mods! :thumbup:

ColdNoMore 06-30-2018 08:09 PM

POLL - Fireworks Display On Lake Sumter

Just a quick poll, not that it will make any difference of course, on whether residents would like to see a fireworks display...on the 4th of July at Lake Sumter.

golf2140 06-30-2018 08:10 PM

In my past life I had to provide security for a fireworks display. The overtime costs were crazy, the parking issues drove everyone nuts and the drunks just wanted to act like A-Holes. There is not an area in The Villages that can handle fireworks. It's not the families issue.

ColdNoMore 06-30-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golf2140 (Post 1557932)
In my past life I had to provide security for a fireworks display. The overtime costs were crazy, the parking issues drove everyone nuts and the drunks just wanted to act like A-Holes. There is not an area in The Villages that can handle fireworks. It's not the families issue.

I would presume then, that you're against other 'special events' whereby speaker's/rally's have occurred here...due to those same issues?

JoMar 06-30-2018 08:36 PM

Another issue with Fireworks is that they could not be limited to Villagers, but would be open to public. That could bring lots of folks that don't really care about this place.. If I want to see Fireworks I will go to Leesburg...their display has been fun in the past. I personally don't want to see Fireworks anywhere in The Villages. I also find it interesting that when ever something doesn't meet individual expectations they blame the Developer.

ColdNoMore 06-30-2018 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1557940)
Another issue with Fireworks is that they could not be limited to Villagers, but would be open to public. That could bring lots of folks that don't really care about this place.. If I want to see Fireworks I will go to Leesburg...their display has been fun in the past. I personally don't want to see Fireworks anywhere in The Villages.

I also find it interesting that when ever something doesn't meet individual expectations they blame the Developer.

I find it interesting that you see some kind of "blame" here. :oops:

It's simply expressing an 'opinion/wish' for something... of which you're also (obviously) entitled. :shrug:

And wouldn't a fireworks display on Lake Sumter...have to be approved by The Developer?

Just as when they have other special events/rally's in the squares? :confused:

If I'm wrong (entirely possible), from whom/what would the permission...need to be granted?

ColdNoMore 06-30-2018 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1557917)
Snip>I bet that the preponderance of Villagers don't want to have fireworks here in TV. We have seen a lot of fireworks in our lifetimes.<Snip

Fireworks Poll Here

BobnBev 06-30-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1557944)
I find it interesting that you see some kind of "blame" here. :oops:

It's simply expressing an 'opinion/wish' for something... of which you're also (obviously) entitled. :shrug:

And wouldn't a fireworks display on Lake Sumter...have to be approved by The Developer?

Just as when they have other special events/rally's in the squares? :confused:

If I'm wrong (entirely possible), from whom/what would the permission...need to be granted?

Permission: 1. State Fire Marshal. 2. Sumter County fire officials. 3. Villages Public Safety Department. 4. USCG.