Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   HEALTHCARE DIRECTORY (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/healthcare-directory-200/)
-   -   Looking for Low Carb friendly Dr (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/healthcare-directory-200/looking-low-carb-friendly-dr-332467/)

bklogistic 05-31-2022 02:57 PM

Looking for Low Carb friendly Dr

Just moved to Villages and looking for GP who understands low carb/keto and cholesterol numbers. With this diet my cholesterol is higher than normal and I’m okay with that. Don’t want a Dr who simply works for big pharma and wants to prescribe a statin. Been down that road and not doing again. Please PM any referrals.
Thanks

golfing eagles 05-31-2022 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bklogistic (Post 2101224)
Just moved to Villages and looking for GP who understands low carb/keto and cholesterol numbers. With this diet my cholesterol is higher than normal and I’m okay with that. Don’t want a Dr who simply works for big pharma and wants to prescribe a statin. Been down that road and not doing again. Please PM any referrals.
Thanks

Well........

There are doctors that work for "big pharma", they usually are running phase 2 and 3 trials on new drugs, evaluating post marketing data on efficacy and side effects, and some are in administration. The clinicians in practice seeing patients that were referred to as "GPs" DO NOT work for "big pharma". Also, unless they were sleeping through 4 years of pre-med, 4 years of medical school and at least 3 years of residency, they all know far, far more about cholesterol than their patients.

As far as "wanting to prescribe a statin", there are fairly well defined criteria and targeted LDL levels depending on risk factors for prescribing one. If someone wants to decline the prescription despite meeting criteria, they are probably taking an unnecessary chance.

Also, some friendly advice: People who are looking for "alternative" medical treatment are ripe targets for all the quacks out there----"nutritionists", holistic "doctors", weight management clinics, chiropractors with a side business and any other snake oil salesmen. Please don't get drawn in.

I hope blueash sees this post and responds, I'd be interested in her opinion.

askellennow 06-24-2022 02:17 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Hi, did you get any helpful recommendations?

Stu from NYC 06-24-2022 03:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Wow you sure do not have a good opinion of Doctors. The ones we met seem to be very interested in the health and welfare of their patients.

Keefelane66 06-24-2022 03:24 PM

Dr shop till they tell you what you want to hear.

TimeForChange 09-28-2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks

You do not need a Dr. to eat low carbs and lose weight. Eat a better breakfast like eggs (mostly egg whites with one yoke) and even bacon or sausage. If you eat bread eat no enriched flower but rye or pumpernickel. Eat very little sweets but use fruit instead. Eat an energy bar and or a fruit for lunch. Have a meat and two vegies for dinner stay away from fried potatoes. For snacks eat nuts or grapes. Walk three to four times a week for thirty minutes. I have lost 40 lbs. doing that and I still have my cocktails at 5PM. This is a diet from a cardiologist who wrote a book called Sugar Busters years ago. He was much sticker for the first two weeks but it works.

MorTech 09-28-2022 10:12 PM

The only one I know of - Hocutt - retired a couple years ago.
BTW-A good resource is "Carbs Down Under" on YouTube.

Low Carb Down Under - YouTube

...And stay away from vegetable oils and all unsaturated oil.

Stu from NYC 09-29-2022 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2101260)
Well........

There are doctors that work for "big pharma", they usually are running phase 2 and 3 trials on new drugs, evaluating post marketing data on efficacy and side effects, and some are in administration. The clinicians in practice seeing patients that were referred to as "GPs" DO NOT work for "big pharma". Also, unless they were sleeping through 4 years of pre-med, 4 years of medical school and at least 3 years of residency, they all know far, far more about cholesterol than their patients.

As far as "wanting to prescribe a statin", there are fairly well defined criteria and targeted LDL levels depending on risk factors for prescribing one. If someone wants to decline the prescription despite meeting criteria, they are probably taking an unnecessary chance.

Also, some friendly advice: People who are looking for "alternative" medical treatment are ripe targets for all the quacks out there----"nutritionists", holistic "doctors", weight management clinics, chiropractors with a side business and any other snake oil salesmen. Please don't get drawn in.

I hope blueash sees this post and responds, I'd be interested in her opinion.

So in other words if we see this on the internet it just might not be true:laugh:?

golfing eagles 09-29-2022 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2141001)
So in other words if we see this on the internet it just might not be true:laugh:?

You mean "If it's on the internet it must be true" is not true????:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Stu from NYC 09-29-2022 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfing eagles (Post 2141014)
You mean "If it's on the internet it must be true" is not true????:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Who knew?:shrug::shrug:

Jayhawk 09-29-2022 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu from NYC (Post 2141001)

Kind of like when a post starts off "Rumor has it......."

golfing eagles 09-29-2022 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayhawk (Post 2141059)
Kind of like when a post starts off "Rumor has it......."

I'll have to check with my barber's babysitter's ex-boyfriend to see if it's true:1rotfl::1rotfl::1rotfl:

Michread 09-29-2022 07:31 AM

Go to one of the TV clubs that support that lifestyle

And ask the club members

Here is one:

VillagesHealthWellness.com |