Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Championship Courses - The Villages Golf Course Conditions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/)
-   -   Havana (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/championship-courses-villages-golf-course-conditions-473/havana-338544/)

will1546 01-27-2023 12:04 PM

Havana

Played Kenya 1/25/23, course is in sorry shape. Teeboxes, fairways and greens have little or no grass. It seems like it needs to be rebuilt, again.

JMintzer 01-27-2023 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will1546 (Post 2180413)
Played Kenya 1/25/23, course is in sorry shape. Teeboxes, fairways and greens have little or no grass. It seems like it needs to be rebuilt, again.

No, it's Winter. The grass is dormant. It'll start growing again in a few weeks...

Woodbear 01-27-2023 11:22 PM

The greens on Palmetto have very little grass. Divots became mud dimples

BrianL99 01-28-2023 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMintzer (Post 2180504)
No, it's Winter. The grass is dormant. It'll start growing again in a few weeks...

Havana is horrendous condition and doesn't have anything to do with "dormant grass", it has to do with poor maintenance practices & not caring.

I played it today. I won't play it again. I wouldn't pay $20 to play it. It's a dump and embarrassment that it's called a "Championship Course".

waynet 01-28-2023 08:08 PM

The people who maintain these courses have no pride in their work. Havana is a joke.

JMintzer 01-28-2023 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynet (Post 2180833)
The people who maintain these courses have no pride in their work. Havana is a joke.

So "pride" will make dormant grass grow in the winter? Interesting...

JMintzer 01-28-2023 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2180806)
Havana is horrendous condition and doesn't have anything to do with "dormant grass", it has to do with poor maintenance practices & not caring.

I played it today. I won't play it again. I wouldn't pay $20 to play it. It's a dump and embarrassment that it's called a "Championship Course".

I last played it in October. It was in good shape...

But then again, it wasn't in January...

dhsmith 01-28-2023 11:33 PM

Golf course

Don’t think winter has anything to do with weeds all over the greens go look at Glenview and see how good it is.How can one course be so good and another so so bad I don’t get it.

BrianL99 01-29-2023 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2180806)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMintzer (Post 2180854)
I last played it in October. It was in good shape...

Yeah and eggs were $1.99/Dozen. Hardly relevant.

Papa_lecki 01-29-2023 07:11 AM

If all the courses are in bad shape, then it is the time of year.

So, how the other courses?

Here’s an interesting article on overseeing
A guide to overseeding: What, where and why
Keep in mind, if they do overseed, it costs money, which means greens fees will increase.

This is the best solution:
“In searching for a long-term solution, the USGA is helping to fund research at five different universities - California-Riverside, Texas A&M, Florida, Georgia and Kansas State - to create a warm-season grass that stays green year-round and still handles cooler temperatures. “It would be so great to have a grass stay green and grow year round," Whitlark said.“

guitarguy 01-29-2023 07:50 AM

Havana is in awful shape. Greens are bad as are many fairways. They had the same issue two or three years ago and actually closed one nine. But Kilamanjaro number 5 green is excellent. They rebuilt that green about 4-5 years ago with a new grass(tif-eagle) and it serves as proof that the course can be excellent.

gcanonge 01-29-2023 07:58 AM

If dormant grass is the issue then why are the courses up North in so much better shape then the ones is the South excluding Southern Oaks which seems to be in pretty good shape. Dormant grass is NOT the issue!

BrianL99 01-29-2023 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa_lecki (Post 2180887)
If all the courses are in bad shape, then it is the time of year.

So, how the other courses?

Palmer, Mallory, Glenview, Tierra are fine, Havana is atrocious. It's not the dormancy of the Bermuda grass creating the issues at Havana. I believe it's simply bad management practices and not caring.

I may be wrong, but I thought Havana re-built their Greens with TifEagle Bermuda a few years ago? TifEagle should easily withstand the weather we've had in Florida this year.

JMintzer 01-29-2023 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2180880)
Yeah and eggs were $1.99/Dozen. Hardly relevant.

Relevant to those who said "it needs to be rebuilt again..."

drcar 01-29-2023 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2180965)
Palmer, Mallory, Glenview, Tierra are fine, Havana is atrocious. It's not the dormancy of the Bermuda grass creating the issues at Havana. I believe it's simply bad management practices and not caring.

I may be wrong, but I thought Havana re-built their Greens with TifEagle Bermuda a few years ago? TifEagle should easily withstand the weather we've had in Florida this year.

Havana did not re-built the greens with Tif-Eagle.