Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Patio vs. manufactured homes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/patio-vs-manufactured-homes-10032/)

tkret 10-13-2007 02:12 PM

Patio vs. manufactured homes

Hello Members of TOTV

Thank you for taking the time to read my posting and providing any information you think is helpful. I am a single gent with a monthly income of around $2500.00 (this figure includes Social Security). I have enough savings to purchase either a 2 bedroom patio villa or a manufactured home on the "historic side". This amount is approximately $140,000.

Please help this nice ol' guy ;D (early 60's) make an educated purchase. Knowing what you now know about The Villages, what would you do if you were in my position. I want to participate in various sports activities including softball, tennis, pickleball, water vb, etc but not golf (just could never get the hang of that one). In addition, if they'll have me, I wish to join the Singles Club and participate in the bowling and other activities that they offer.

So, as Frasier Crane used to say, "I'm listening". Thanks alot.

az2fla 10-13-2007 03:26 PM

Re: Patio vs. manufactured homes

Firstly, tkret, I must confess that I am not a Villager, yet; but I have spent much time there. You pose a very good question. I would be concerned with whether or not you must evacuate the manufactured homes each time there is a hurricane warning. But, as I mentioned, I am not a resident. Your monthly income seems to be more than sufficient for a single person but make sure you don't leave your bank account completely empty when purchasing your home. Good luck and I hope you get some good advice. I would be interested in reading them.

Becky 10-13-2007 03:29 PM

Welcome Tkret! I'm really not going to be much help. Just based on preferences! When you walked into one, did it seem more like home? Is one larger than the other and you will need room for guests? When I walked into my home, a little voice said, "this is the one! This is it!" Maybe men don't have that voice! Also check and see where the various activities are located that you might like. Check on taxes and bonds also. I am sure you will make the right decision!

Becky

tkret 10-13-2007 04:50 PM

Thank you Becky and az2fla for your input. Very much appreciate it.

nONIE 10-13-2007 05:34 PM

tkret, We recentely bought a manufactured home in the historic district for reasons like, a very homey atmosphere and neighborhood I loved the mature trees and great pricetag!

However, if your not into high maintanance your best bet is probably the patio villa. The manufactured homes are older and do require some serious upkeep wheras I dont think the villa would. they are better insulated then some of the manufactured homes,more yardwork and landscaping fees etc in the manufactured home. As far as activities that you enjoy, I dont think that matters much, all activities are easy to get to and are available in either area. Good luck with your decision. ,

tkret 10-13-2007 05:46 PM

Nonie,
You are correct on three points. First, the historic district is lovely with the mature trees. Secondly, the prices are exceptional. And lastly, I have NO desire for high maintenance, either inside or outside my home. Yes, I considered the patio villa because of the size and because I tend to spend much of my time outdoors. A concern, however, is my neighbors. I'm sure that you probably have more year-round neighbors than the patio villas. I understand that once the renters are gone, the patio neighborhoods are pretty quiet and lonely. Or is that not really true, either.

You seem to hit the nail on the head and I appreciate that you took the time to reply. Thank you.

ashines 10-13-2007 08:05 PM

I lived in a mobile home prior to my moving to the Villages. It was destroyed in hurricane Wilma. At the time many of my neighbors had very minor damages from the storm. You just can't predict what will happen in these storms unless you live in a fortress. What I can predict for you is the possibility that you will have great difficulty getting homeowners insurance on your mobile home. Also that it will be very expensive if you do find a carrier. That is the main pitfall with living in a manufactured home at this time. Please be sure to check with insurance company's before you make any commitments.
The homes in the Historical area are indeed lovely and I am sure you will be tempted with the great bargains you can find. One year ago I chose to purchase a Patio Villa. I can happily say I have no regrets.

Village Kid 2 10-13-2007 08:07 PM

:welcome: tkret, Choosing where to live is such a personal decision. Maybe you should rent both a villa and then a house on the historical side before you make a decision. I bought on the historical side a couple years ago and wouldn't trade it for the world. I love the ambiance, friendliness, and old neighborhood feel. Plus I am on the 16th fairway of OBCC and love the dew on the grass in the early morning sun. There are 4 pools closeby. I find the neighbors to be close knit without being intrusive. Also, you can get wonderful deals. Mine was furnished with a golf cart and of course, no bond. I have lived in Fla. most of my life so I'm not worried about the weather. You just deal with it. This home has withstood the weather for 20 years. I think the villas are great too but I'm staying put. The activities are close no matter where you are. Good luck!

tkret 10-13-2007 08:51 PM

WOW! more great advice. This time from ashines and Village Kid. Thanks, very much, folks for so much information for me to ponder. I've been following TOTV for a couple of months now but never had a need to post anything. Now that I have posted a request I've received a bunch of very helpful information. I'm really grateful - thank you.

Barefoot 10-13-2007 11:24 PM

I agree that the Historical area has lots to offer. When we were looking, we were told by a Village Sales Rep that it is almost impossible to get insurance on some of the older mobile homes. This may not be true, but to protect yourself, as Ashines said, please talk to an insurance company before buying an older mobile.

tkret 10-14-2007 05:57 AM

Yes, barefoot at last, I have been told that most insurance companies are dropping or not renewing policies on mobile and manufactured homes. I just finished reading an article online from The Orlando Sentinel indicating the difficulty of finding this insurance. It does state, however, the following:

"Citizens Property Insurance still will offer coverage to owners of manufactured homes, but the state-backed insurer is one of the few that will, especially since some of the state''s larger homeowners insurers have rushed to reduce their exposure to properties vulnerable to dangerous storms."

I suppose that with each passing year this will become more of an issue. Very kind of you to offer your input to me. Thank you.

villages8house 10-14-2007 07:32 AM

I live in Clayton Villas in the Village of Ashland. This is just across the street from the Churchill Downs Recreation Center and walking distance to Lynn Haven and Ashland pools. This is a wonderful neighborhood with lots of really nice full-time residents. It's only two miles to county road 466 and the Southern Trace Shopping Center (Publix grocery).

My home is "For Sale By Owner" as I must move to attend to family obligations. You can check it out on the Talk of the Villages website under the Free Classifieds. It's the largest patio villa with one bedroom villa, 1 bath with 1.5 garage Nantucket model that was built in the Villages (they don't build one bedrooms anymore). It's only 3 years old and in excellent condition. The price is $139,900.

It has a low bond balance that is paid along with the Sumter Co. property tax bill each year. My 2006 property taxes including The Villages Bond, Fire Dept., and Maintenance was approx. $1500. This year's tax & villages' fees will be approx. $1800. This is with the homestead exemption of $25,000.

I have home insurance with State Farm Ins. that is approx. $800 per year.
The monthly amenity fee is $132.34 paid to the District 5 CDD Sumter County.
My electric and gas bills average about $65-$70 per month together.
My water/sewer and garbage average about $44 per month (includes sprinkler system).
My TV cable (Comcast) is appox. $54 per month.
My phone and high speed internet (Embarq) together is approx. $80 per month
My lawn mowing service costs $35 per month year-round.

I hope this gives you some idea of the costs involved in living in a nice patio villa.
I hope you'll check out my house and others in my neighborhood.
Extending an up-front Welcome to the Villages.

Donna (villages8house)

tkret 10-14-2007 10:05 AM

villages8house

Now, that's what I call informative! Many thanks for your kindness in disclosing the normal expenses. I will certainly check out your FSBO but I must admit that I'm more interested in the two-bedroom units.

I know where Village of Ashland is and it IS very convenient to so many places. My sincerest thanks, and I mean that, for being so very kind in providing this info. You're a nice person Donna!

peachpit 10-14-2007 11:09 PM

Thanks Donna,

So if my math is correct that would be about $635/mo!! The only other thing that comes to mind is pest control whatever that costs?

Lil Dancer 10-15-2007 04:17 AM

We used to own a patio villa, and I highly recommend them, especially for a single person. If you decide to get one, I'd recommend the ones with "volume" ceilings. They're much more airy feeling, and just make the place feel a lot larger than it really is. It also increases your re-sale value. The lanai on the front is quiet and private, and with the small yards, there is little upkeep. You do need to get the vinyl siding washed once a year - it costs about $50 to have someone come in and do that. My only complaint was that the garage was advertised as 1 1/2 car, but we had a large car and there was just barely room for the golf cart. A tight squeeze, but do-able.

Our neighborhood had a lot of rentors, but there was a group of year round residents as well. The people were very friendly, and they had monthly socials. This was over in Ashland. The bond there is only $5000 if you happen to look at re-sales. The quality of construction is very good. I suspect that even a villa 3-4 years old is going to be in better shape than a lot of the manufactured homes in the historic side. Hope this helps! :)