Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   A View From 100,000 Feet (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/view-100-000-feet-10062/)

Villages Kahuna 10-15-2007 10:22 AM

A View From 100,000 Feet

Let's see, as of this morning oil was selling for more than $85 a barrel; the value of the US dollar has declined over 30% in the last five years; we continue to grow a record amount of national debt; the quality of our healthcare has dropped to 37th among all the countries in the world; a significant proportion of Americans have no health insurance at all; we've become the greatest debtor-nation on the planet; social security and medicare are headed for insolvency; the quality of the education of our children continues to decline, particularly in comparison to the developing nations of China, India and Russia; and we're in a war that's the longest in the history of our country, with no end in sight.

Have the people we've elected to represent us in the Congress and lead our country served us well?

Just wondering.

???

tbsoccer 10-15-2007 12:00 PM

Re: A View From 100,000 Feet

It makes you wonder why none of would want to live anywhere else!

rsetterlund 10-15-2007 01:16 PM

You are correct in wondering. We have the best government that big money and buy. I see two problems, there are many more for sure. How do we get the voters interested again and how do we get people who will actually work to fix the problems elected? The system is broken, but the only ones that can fix it are the ones that caused the problems in the first place. At one time a grass roots movement could be started and things could be changed. Today everyone is working so hard just trying to get by they have no extra time to get involved.

What kind of country are we leaving our children and grandkids??

jjdees 10-15-2007 01:44 PM

The politicians today on both sides are in the game for themselves only. It's power and money and don't waste my time on the menial issues like what's best for our country. These career politicians all need to be voted out and we need some fresh blood. The current group is like watching Monday night football but less professional. It's all for the party, win by any means. If it means destroying another member of congress, who cares. There is a culture of personal destruction of the opposition, and grease my palms and I'll take care of you in DC today. It's disgusting. Their principles are set by wetting their finger and putting it in the air to see which way the wind is blowing. Just today in the news, it's reported that some of the idiots in congress have created a bill to declare something that happened a century ago in Turkey to be declared genocide. The result is the Turks are now P'O'd and may take some action in northern Iraq. How does this help the US, and what the hell is the purpose of such a bill? Sounds very much like the idiots have found another way to screw up the war. Score one for the party, zero for the country. This is beyond disgusting.

JohnN 10-15-2007 01:51 PM

I'd seriously consider a 3rd party vote, the existing elected officials are all crooked and spend 100% of their time blaming someone else for the problems

rsetterlund 10-17-2007 12:07 PM

Yea well, I like the way the two parties have made it almost impossible for someone from a different party to get elected. The Dems and Reps have in acted laws which favor their two parties.