Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   ANYONE ON EMBARQ HI-SPEED????? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/anyone-embarq-hi-speed-10068/)

The Great Fumar 10-15-2007 07:48 PM

ANYONE ON EMBARQ HI-SPEED?????

I signed up for Embarqs alledged Hi-Speed service and as the Kids of today say,"it sucks".....Now I will admit that I signed up for the slowest option they have but its slower than my old dial up and the home page is terrible (in my opinion) .....
Does anyone out there use their 1.5 service (which I don't) and are you satisfied with it . This service would be a little faster than what I'm using but is it really that much faster????
Now I will admit that my computer isn't electric, its gas , but I should be able to do better than this. ANY THOUGHTS ???

Patty 10-15-2007 09:20 PM

Re: ANYONE ON EMBARQ HI-SPEED?????

Great,

Hope this is the feedback you are seeking. We have Embarq HiSpeed at our store and Comcast at our home. I must say, I am extremely pleased with Comcast, except when they are " out of service" . Embarq for our business works fine for us except that we have to reboot at least 3 times per day due to a glitch. (Not sure if it's their or ours Anyway, it's not a big deal at the store.
Comcast Hi speed at home has been great except with the occasional outage. Between the two, I prefer comcast over Embarq. Comcast has been more reliable in my opinion for providing the same service over the same time period.

The Great Fumar 10-15-2007 10:02 PM

patty
thanks for the comeback.......not sure what i'm going to do yet but i've got to change something.....probably just an upgrade..........thanks again

Lucko 10-16-2007 12:52 AM

I must have dependable high speed internet to do investments, and in Duval, Comcast cable is by far the fastest. Sign up through Circuit City and get discounts for several months and then it goes to about $40.00 per month, but has a vacation mode for the summer. It's always on and both upload and down load are fast.

chacam 10-16-2007 05:31 AM

Cable access is by far the fastest way to go. Those satisfied with DSL must not have ever used anything faster.

bargee 10-16-2007 07:50 AM

We have Embarq DSL.We upgraded from dialup so it is somewhat better.The rub is when we go on extended vacation we have to pay half rate.As soon as Comcast starts providing phone service its bye bye Embarq.

chacam 10-16-2007 11:50 AM

A friend just signed up for Vonage. This is broadband phone sevice (VOIP) over your internet connection (comcast cable in my case). Lots of free options like long distance, caller id, call waiting, voicemail etc for about $25 a month. Depending on how he likes it our whole neighborhood may do the same.

Avista 10-16-2007 02:03 PM

We have Vonage, and it really is a money saver. We pay $15/month for 500 outgoing minutes/month. So far have never come close to using them all. One great feature is received your answering machine calls on the internet when away from home.

Frangyomory 10-16-2007 02:36 PM

We had Comcast and cancelled and went with Embarq HighSpeed. We are delighted with our Embarq service. Much more reliable than Comcast was. We also signed a combined contract for our land line, internet and television via Embarq and DishNetwork. I am not so delighted with the Dish but my husband is thrilled with it. I miss the local Channel 2 which only Comcast carries.

I have had Adelphia in the past and it really sucked. Was in Virginia and it was down more than it was up.

When we first were transferredfrom earthlink mail to embarqmail we had one month of problems. Now that I have figured out how to use embarqmail with my outlook express, I am delighted with my email as well.

I think it is to each his own. Most services are as good as the user and some people are very happy with dial up because they don't use their computer for much.

I am frequently on the computer and I like the fact that I am always "active" on the net and can access information in a second.

kar guy 10-27-2007 05:46 PM

T.G. FUMAR; WE JUST HOOKED UP OUR COMPUTOR AND I CAN HONESTLY TELL YOU THAT THE SPEED IS LIVABLE. IT IS NOT THE SLOWEST AS IN DIAL UP BUT IT IS NOT AS FAST AS SOME THAT I HAVE BEEN ON. I WOULD SUGGEST TO YOU TO SPEND THE EXTRA $5 A MONTH AND GET THE 1.5. TAKE CARE KAR GUY

Bubbalarry 10-28-2007 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty
Great,

Hope this is the feedback you are seeking. We have Embarq HiSpeed at our store and Comcast at our home. I must say, I am extremely pleased with Comcast, except when they are " out of service" . Embarq for our business works fine for us except that we have to reboot at least 3 times per day due to a glitch. (Not sure if it's their or ours Anyway, it's not a big deal at the store.
Comcast Hi speed at home has been great except with the occasional outage. Between the two, I prefer comcast over Embarq. Comcast has been more reliable in my opinion for providing the same service over the same time period.

Curious to know how often you would say comcast is out and for approx how long and if its just internet or both?

jadebox 10-28-2007 12:08 PM

Just internet and not long. One time a few hours (There was a biig fire somewhere)but usually not very long. Sometimes you need to unplug and replug your modem after it is down. If you forget to do this you can be without internet way too long. I am not sure how often but not so bad I can't live with it. It is not daily or even weekly.

LG 10-28-2007 05:14 PM

Just talked to service guy who is using the broadband wireless card. He says service is great around here and is thinking about ditching COMCAST. Check out Verizion.

chuckinca 10-28-2007 05:22 PM

We have AT&T DSL in California and never have any down times, slow service or other issues. Why would Embarq be any different?

bogeygolfer 10-30-2007 03:15 PM

I was on Comcast cable modem for several years and it is fast. However, it is only fast when the cable is working. My cable has been cut by garden projects and lawn work three times. My cable box died twice. Cable speed is dependent on the number of users on-line in your area. I am a very heavy user of the internet and got tired of waiting for Comcast service technicians and also their billing department is so screwed up I can't believe it. One month they charged me $235 for who knows what. I cancelled my service and I am still waiting for the $225 they owe me. Six to eight weeks is their response. They have no clue. Every person you speak to at Comcast has a different story or excuse. I signed up for Embarq DSL and enhanced phone service. I pay the extra $5 for a faster DSL speed. My long distance is with EGC which costs 2.5 cents a minute for out of state calls. They also give you a free 800 number, no service fee, and 2.5 cents a minute for incoming calls on the 800 #. DSL service has been absolutely bullet proof. I had VOIP, but EGC is about the same price and much more convenient. Customer service with Embarq has been first rate. No, I don't miss channel 2, The Villages TV station. I suppose it is better than when all they broadcast was the softball games. We also switched to dish HD. We were on DirecTV for years, but when they changed their policy and extended your contract for two years every time they had to replace or repair your box I left them forever. Dish is a better system in my opinion. We signed up at Sam's to save a few bucks, but will transfer to Embarq to combine all the accounts when the freebies are used up. (HBO,etc) And to top if off Embarq DSL is cheaper than Comcast. It also runs at 3MB ALL the time. :bigthumbsup: