Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Reprise? Gas versus Electric Golf Carts; Where to Buy Reliably ... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/reprise-gas-versus-electric-golf-carts-where-buy-reliably-10112/)

Sidney Lanier 10-18-2007 09:30 PM

Reprise? Gas versus Electric Golf Carts; Where to Buy Reliably ...

I assume this question has been brought up before, and I just wonder if there is anything more current available on the subject. What are the pros and cons (besides the obvious) of electric and gas golf carts? Over the long haul, which type is more economical? More reliable? Holds its value better? Any information on solar power for golf carts? Can Villagers recommend reliable places to purchase each (preferably used), and equally important, places to avoid? Many thanks!

Lucko 10-19-2007 12:08 AM

Re: Reprise? Gas versus Electric Golf Carts; Where to Buy Reliably ...

A 2008 Yamaha Drive can be bought at T N T Golf Carts in Quincy, Illinois for $4799.00 and will be delivered to your home in The Villages with free delivery and no sales tax. Your choice of gas or electric with the new four year warrenty. Colors other than white are $100 extra and light packages, rain enclosures etc. are extra. Order it with eveything deluxe, fancy wheels, high speed gears etc. (no radio ) and it takes about another $2700.00 Local Yamaha dealers will service it since they are required to. If interested, talk to Jason at 1-217-228-2440 or check it out on-line. This is an unsolicited testimonial from a recent buyer living in Duval.

jadebox 10-19-2007 05:19 AM

We have a gas and an electric. I like the quiet smooth riding electric cart and my husband loves his gas that you can hear and feel moving. We have never had a problem of running out of power with our electric cart but still feel better using the gas one to go to the faraway parts of The Villages. We use our carts all the time. I have no way of knowing what the electric costs but I am sure it would be safe to say that charging the cart costs next to nothing. The gas cart we take to the gas station once a month whether we need to or not. I believe we need somewhere around 5 to 7 gallons. Our gas cart has been backfiring so may do better after we get it looked at. We bought both from other Villagers. Paid $2850 for the electric 1998 Club car (in 2002) and after 3 yrs needed to replace the batteries. The 2001 Gas car Yamaha we paid $3500 a couple years ago. It has all kinds of bells and whistles and was barely used. Recently we bought a jeep that is a Club cart. Got it for $2200 !!!!! It is a 2001 and a fun one to drive just because it looks neat. Found it for sale in someones yard and bought it without even driving it because was on the way to a doctors appointment. Runs good and batteries are 4 years old. We also have an electric that stays at my sons house in TV. LOL some people collect spoons I collect golf carts!!!

dcartman 07-03-2008 07:30 PM

You can buy from the E-Z-GO Factory Showroom in Summerfield Fl just north of 42 a new RXV gas or electric with pinstripes, names, tinted windshield, center convex mirror, full sunbrella enclosure, club protector, 12 pk cooler, 2 sand bottles, auto battery fill system, 10" 205-50-10 mag wheels, $7395.00. You just need to go to the showroom and look around, it,s nice. Also no deposits and 12 months same as cash. This is a real factore store.

784caroline 07-03-2008 11:46 PM

Sidney
We bought a rebuilt Club Car from Golf Cart Connection.... Off 441 across from Walmart(see ad on this site)......excellent service and they have a manufacturing facility in Mt Dora that you can visit and tour...this place is not going to go out of business and you can custom build anything you want. Electric is the only way to go especially with what gas prices are today.
Talk to Tim the maganer and tell him I sent you. Ill be in TV in about 2 weeks and happy to show you what I have and take it for a test drive.......if your in town.

zcaveman 07-04-2008 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcartman
You can buy from the E-Z-GO Factory Showroom in Summerfield Fl just north of 42 a new RXV gas or electric with pinstripes, names, tinted windshield, center convex mirror, full sunbrella enclosure, club protector, 12 pk cooler, 2 sand bottles, auto battery fill system, 10" 205-50-10 mag wheels, $7395.00. You just need to go to the showroom and look around, it,s nice. Also no deposits and 12 months same as cash. This is a real factore store.

I bought a Club Car when I moved here in 2001. Loved it until it started getting old. Replaced the batteries and that helped but other things started to not feel right. I did my research and was leaning towards a gas cart even though I hated the smell and the noise and then the gas prices went up. I finally decided on the EZGO RXV cart. I went to the factory showroom on 441/27 and got a good deal like dcartman and am very happy with the cart. Like dcartman, I am driving it free for one year.

JohnN 07-04-2008 03:46 AM

I'm planning to get in the market on this too.
Seems I'll test drive a Club Car and an EZGO, no doubt I'm going electric for many reasons.
Based on the rave reviews, sounds like EZGO might now be the choice, but $$$ is also a consideration and I'll run a good business case.

I did visit TV Golf Cart store in LSL and their prices were pretty high, I thought.
Good luck and let us (me) know what you buy!

Fourpar 07-04-2008 08:37 PM

We ordered ours (electric) from Golf Cart Connections. Just took delivery on June 26th, and couldn't be happier. Delivery was right on time and the guy went over everything with us, how to take care of batteries, etc. Great experience dealing with G C Connections. :bigthumbsup:

billy2fish 07-06-2008 02:48 AM

compairing gas with electric can the electric go 19.9 mph like the gas if so how is the speed on a long up grade ::)

Ooper 07-06-2008 04:12 AM

Read the posts in Zcaveman's thread on 2008 EZGO Carts. The new electronic system for these electric carts are supposed to go full speed on long inclines and brake by using the motor induction. I have found gas carts to be stinky and noisy... especially if you are following one! The newer carts can supposedly go 50-60 miles in a charge. Maintenance costs for both are about the same if you do the required maintenance... change the oil, lube in gas carts and replace the battery and maintain the batteries in the electrics.

Avista 07-06-2008 12:13 PM

Thoughts on our golf cart: First of all, we are on our 2nd golf cart. First we bought a 2 seater--electric. Very pleased with it, but when guests and grandchildren came, there was no room for them. We returned it within a month and bought a 4 seater. Feel it was a good decision. Part of the fun is taking guests places in our golf cart. Have an 8 year old granddaughter coming next week. The golf cart is really exciting for her.

We have electric and have NEVER been sorry about that. We live near 466A and never have had any problems with the light going on. (Light tells you you have 1/2 hour left of a charge.)

My other thought is how lovely is is to hear the birds when one drives. It is such a quiet ride. At times we have driven through a tunnel meeting a gas cart. Ugh--what a smell.

mcelheny 07-06-2008 12:44 PM

We have electric too. Run all over the whole development on poker runs...didn't even move the charge needle. No smell, no sound. Love it. :bigthumbsup:

Golf Cart Connection - very happy with service. As a woman they come out and do simple things for me like replace a snap in the cover or check water. Never charged me yet. :)

zcaveman 07-06-2008 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy2fish
compairing gas with electric can the electric go 19.9 mph like the gas if so how is the speed on a long up grade ::)

The new EZGO RXV maintains the speed on the upgrades. That was one thing I hated about the Club Car. You always wondered if you were going to have to push it up the steeper grades.